(PS4) Days gone. Q1-2019

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Now THAT's a game I haven't heard about in a long time. I played through that shit when I was like 12 on PS1!

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thats whats so strange about modern open world games. Whether action, survival, or RPG, for some reason writers and designers fall into this vortex where they decide to turn the protagonist into a go-getter and for some reason has you "take a break" from being awesome, or continuing whatever epic journey you were on. Its strange as fuck. Is it really that hard to have EVERY single mission you come across be linked to the uniqueness/badassery of your character, or tied into the main plot in a meaningful way.

The Witcher 3 had some of the greatest side missions of any game ever, well written, good voice acting and had actualy impact on player development. But even in that game Mr.Badass monster slaying Witcher dude accepts a proposition topick some wild flowers for 20 minutes in order to create some bullshit. I mean I get it, some people enjoy that crafting shit and gathering, but seriously, they could have you putting in work sinking precious time into doing things that are more God of War esque where you feel like the time you are putting in is significant 90% of the time, and have some NPC you have to pay coin to go to collect that wormwood for you instead.

Some games its so egregious where it gets into the inverse territory, where 60% of the time is spent doing mundane tasks and 40% of the time your doing epic shit that you should be doing to begin with, you being a hero/savior/badass/key actor who is the feature of the experience. Even a game like Mass Effect 1, which I hold close to my heart and rate in top 10 games of all time, was probably at a 50/50 ratio between meaningful and fulfilling missions and progression in contrast to the rest of the time you being a pseudo scientist artifact collector driving a thing called a MAKO (how great did that thing handle?!) that you spent at LEAST 20% of that 50% of time in.

Is it really that hard to craft an entire game around substance? The Last of Us came damn fucking close, im sure you guys can think of some worthy mentions as well.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I’m getting to that part now. 1st half of the game was awesome. This latest half after iron Mike is so far aggravating during missions and I’m becoming a fetch bitch. Going to see if it picks up here again before full judgement.

Having watched a full Let's Play of the story, it's worth finishing, there are definitely epic moments around the later parts and there is an interesting development if you continue playing after the "story ending" to cleanse more areas etc... I'd hang in there if I were you.

Last edited:

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Having watched a full Let's Play of the story, it's worth finishing, there are definitely epic moments around the later parts and there is an interesting development if you continue playing after the "story ending" to cleanse more areas etc... I'd hang in there if I were you.

Definitely. Going to be finishing. Thursday night for sure and during some of the day this coming weekend. I have to be pretty far in by now so while I tailed off a bit because I was getting VERY tired of being a Walking Dead Errand boy for the medical "Team", I'll force myself through that and continue to wrap it up.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Thats whats so strange about modern open world games. Whether action, survival, or RPG, for some reason writers and designers fall into this vortex where they decide to turn the protagonist into a go-getter and for some reason has you "take a break" from being awesome, or continuing whatever epic journey you were on. Its strange as fuck. Is it really that hard to have EVERY single mission you come across be linked to the uniqueness/badassery of your character, or tied into the main plot in a meaningful way.

The Witcher 3 had some of the greatest side missions of any game ever, well written, good voice acting and had actualy impact on player development. But even in that game Mr.Badass monster slaying Witcher dude accepts a proposition topick some wild flowers for 20 minutes in order to create some bullshit. I mean I get it, some people enjoy that crafting shit and gathering, but seriously, they could have you putting in work sinking precious time into doing things that are more God of War esque where you feel like the time you are putting in is significant 90% of the time, and have some NPC you have to pay coin to go to collect that wormwood for you instead.

Some games its so egregious where it gets into the inverse territory, where 60% of the time is spent doing mundane tasks and 40% of the time your doing epic shit that you should be doing to begin with, you being a hero/savior/badass/key actor who is the feature of the experience. Even a game like Mass Effect 1, which I hold close to my heart and rate in top 10 games of all time, was probably at a 50/50 ratio between meaningful and fulfilling missions and progression in contrast to the rest of the time you being a pseudo scientist artifact collector driving a thing called a MAKO (how great did that thing handle?!) that you spent at LEAST 20% of that 50% of time in.

Is it really that hard to craft an entire game around substance? The Last of Us came damn fucking close, im sure you guys can think of some worthy mentions as well.
Most "open world" games would be better if they weren't trying to be open world games.

I'm looking at you, DA:I.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So I wrapped this up - The wholesome Utnayan review:

* Graphics - Knocked it out of the park. 4k HDR was fantastic - I really felt like I was in the "shit". Some really great looking landscapes, and really, a lot of nature. No complaints.

* Character development - They did a good job here. Every character I ran into had their own unique personality and you could get to know them, like them, hate them, etc. From Deacon, Sarah, Boozer, Iron Mike, Copeland, Rikki, Cap, Colonel, Weaver, etc. Every character here was unique, had their own ticks. Very well voice acted. Boozer, Deacon, Sarah, and Iron Mike were my favorite VA's.

* Story - Splitting this into two parts. Story overall - very engaging. Good arch enemies and reasons to fight in the world. Kind of mixed Walking Dead (The good parts which are few and far between) with almost a Fallout 3 vibe. Overall the story arcs and how they intertwined were very interesting. Ending was solid. And you can continue on after the game.

* Story Pacing: Sucked complete donkey ass. This needed to be cleaned up a LOT. And by pacing, really they should have structured the overall mission structure in a more cohesive environment. Main story arc, side activities, complete story arc, move to next story arc rinse and repeat and should have closed the regions down a bit more to do that. Instead, you have 3 main story arcs going on at the same time and you also see overlap in those constantly. It's too much at once and it takes a LONG time to get used to it. Around mid game is where I just kind of adjusted my way of thinking in approaching the game. Either way, this needed to be cleaned up a lot. Imagine having a really good set of paints, and taking everything and just throwing it against a canvas and saying "What a painting" and hanging it on a wall. Doesn't work.

* Gameplay - 50/50 on this one. I am not a fan of locking quality of life abilities behind a skill system, especially when those quality of life abilities are standard systems at the beginning of every game. For instance, being able to reload while sprinting - or moving while aiming down sites, etc. Annoying as hell and I think that turned a lot of people off. On the other side, once I opened up those abilities and then more so after the fact, the gameplay became really fun. Gun play was fine, and frantic horde shooting and traps was always creative and engaging. Tackling missions various ways was fun as well. Stealth, guns blazing, traps, leading a horde to take out a camp and training them on the camp (Hilarious), etc. Lots of cool game play strats.

* Audio - Music: Fantastic sound track. Some of the best music I have ever heard in a video game that matched the mood of the game and atmosphere perfectly.

* Audio - in game: What the hell were they thinking lol :p Every time Deacon gets on his Bike and rides and has a conversation, he is screaming over the Bike engine while the person on the back or other side comes in as a normal voice. Should have just had both NPC's speak normally and mute down the engine sounds while in story discussions/chartacter building moments. Also, for the love of God, do not throw in conversations of main mission starts (Usually coming in via radio) while in the open world and IN COMBAT. Can't tell you the mount of times I would have loved to have heard what is being said in banter back and forth, but low and behold, I am taking out a ripper camp with 20 freakers and a bear coming into the camp. Ugh. And I never heard what some of those audio pieces were ever again. Then, in other parts of the game, I would complete a mission, radio back, hear the conversation, do another side mission, and after that was done hear the same damn radio conversation again (Deacon included) just as it never happened. That was annoying.

* Hordes: Scare the living crap out of you - and they are frustrating to defeat. You can lay out traps, use the environment, but really what it ends up being is praying to Christ you do not run out of ammo in your RPD - and after lighting fire to as many as you can, making sure you stay far enough ahead of them to gun them all down in small tidbits. Still though, technologically impressive - and added a huge game dynamic. However, they forced a few clear the horde missions towards the end of the game and I didn't like that - especially when I was at the tail end and really just wanted to complete the main story, and got two of those suckers in a row. Last one literally took me 45 minutes as I ran out of all resources but only had a sliver of them remaining. Too many to melee, too few to notice where they were even hiding at in the mission area.

Overall, a solid 8/10. Could have easily been a 10/10 had they followed some basic game development concepts laid out for years.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Thanks for the review! Can't wait to for a sale so I can play the game

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Days Gone will be $20-40 starting June 6th btw with Sony's annual Days of Play, alongside a cheaper PS4 Pro, PS4 Slim, dualshock 4's for $40, and a few other games on sale

• 1Like

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I ended up ordering this from amazon (arriving today) for 19.99. Looks like it got a pretty bad rap on release, but the videos I am watching of it in 2020 look really good with a lot of funny mechanics and moments. I kind of want to wait till I get a PS5 to play it though. Horde mechanics look really fun with definitely some pucker moments.
Looks like there are some rumors of a Days Gone 2 as well.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I ended up ordering this from amazon (arriving today) for 19.99. Looks like it got a pretty bad rap on release, but the videos I am watching of it in 2020 look really good with a lot of funny mechanics and moments. I kind of want to wait till I get a PS5 to play it though. Horde mechanics look really fun with definitely some pucker moments.
Most of the issues were patched, and I think that a fair amount of the criticism really stemmed from it being held up to the Sony exclusive standard which had a very high bar set by HZD and others.

I enjoyed it. A well made protagonist, setting, and competent gameplay.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

if you wait for a PS5 to play i'd return it, since its part of the PS+ collection that makes it free. Even a PS4 owner can get it free that way but you need a friend with a PS5 who'll login once onto your account.

I thought it was a really fun game, it doesn't do anything new and the story is mostly generic but the mechanics are good, the world is great, and it was enjoyable. Pretty easy to platinum too. I wouldn't put it in a top 10 Sony PS4 exclusives game list or anything but I'd put it in a top 20 for sure.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah I really enjoyed the game playing it quite awhile after release. Was fun to just run around killing hordes at the end, but unfortunately by the time you beat the game the hordes are all much easier than the ones you are forced to kill during the story.

It’s a solid game with a good story that seems to fall flat the second half of the game. They definitely set up the ending for a DG2 though.

• 1Like

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
I may load it up and give it a shot tonight, but I have such a stupid problem that I have to contend with. The dog that my wife and kids picked out apparently has an issue with me playing the Playstation. I have no idea why he cares, but he gets super high anxiety when I am playing. We were having a lazy day last weekend, my wife and daughter were lying on the couch reading a book and I was playing a little AC: Origins. The dog was sitting there with his head shaking like his heart was at 200bpm. I'd call him and he would slink over and let me scratch his head and then he would walk a few feet away and resume.

If I try and play at night, he will literally be upstairs barking or he'll pee on the carpet. I have no idea why. He could care less if I am watching a horror type movie. Its only the playstation. I think I need to get some doggie prozac for him.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I may load it up and give it a shot tonight, but I have such a stupid problem that I have to contend with. The dog that my wife and kids picked out apparently has an issue with me playing the Playstation. I have no idea why he cares, but he gets super high anxiety when I am playing. We were having a lazy day last weekend, my wife and daughter were lying on the couch reading a book and I was playing a little AC: Origins. The dog was sitting there with his head shaking like his heart was at 200bpm. I'd call him and he would slink over and let me scratch his head and then he would walk a few feet away and resume.

If I try and play at night, he will literally be upstairs barking or he'll pee on the carpet. I have no idea why. He could care less if I am watching a horror type movie. Its only the playstation. I think I need to get some doggie prozac for him.
There could be a noise from the fans, or other parts inside the Ps5, that it's making that only dogs can hear.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
There could be a noise from the fans, or other parts inside the Ps5, that it's making that only dogs can hear.
Could be. He has been asleep upstairs before and then goes berserk at the nearly inaudible beep of the PS4 starting up. Probably sounds like a train horn to him though.

spronk

FPS noob
Days Gone will get a PC port May 21st

$49.99

pretty decent game, nothing amazing but fun and relatively easy to complete in 30-35 hours. A tiny step below Ghosts of Tsushima I'd say.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been playing this slowly since I got the PS5. Performance is good and the game is a lot of fun to me. I am only up into the Lost Lake region with Iron Mike (and fairly early there), but I am trying to kill all the hordes and finish the regions as I go (minus the encampment missions).
The game has been getting more fun and easier since I have gone deep into the ranged combat skill tree. I imagine the modding community would make this a no-brainer on the PC though.

Soundtrack is great. I loved the scene where you drive Boozer to Lost Lake and the song "Soldier's eyes" by Jack Savoretti plays. Now I want to buy a motorcycle and watch Sons of Anarchy.

• 1Like

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Soundtrack is great. I loved the scene where you drive Boozer to Lost Lake and the song "Soldier's eyes" by Jack Savoretti plays.
I have to say I really enjoyed that scene. By far one of my favorites in this game and in the last several games I've played. Also, running into the first horde for the wtf moment.

I started playing this on the PS5 and so far I think it's great. It's a shame the reviews were so harsh early on. I would love to see a part two. I'm somewhere in the middle I think.

• 1Like