Psy sang about killing americans before Oppa Gangnam Style.

Faiona_sl

shitlord
You didn't read the entire article then. I wouldn't have linked something unless I actually read all of it. Point being, who actually knows what the hell the song actually says...one version from CNN says he wants to kill the daughters/mothers blah blah. And then you have other people translating it differently.

Who cares at this point. Now I see why most people just type one line sentences for responses or just post pictures...lol.

By Ben O. Jone, native Korean speaker and U.S.-based graduate student. He kept the original Korean word order, which is why some of the wording is flipped around.
The -- despicable Western women and men who tortured Iraqi war prisoners and
Dog -- despicable Western women and men who gave orders to torture
Their daughter, mother, daughter-in-law, father the big-nose, kill all
Very slowly kill, painfully kill.

I found Jone's version surprising, as it seems to diverge the most from the original. But a professional interpreter who asked to remain anonymous says that his version is "actually pretty literal and accurate." The interpreter also raised an issue that had confused me in reading these translations: Are the song lyrics urging people to kill the Americans and their family members, or is it accusing those Americans of having killed the family members of Iraqis?

"There is a bit of ambiguity in the third line of the original," the interpreter, who works in Korean and English professionally, said. "It's unclear whether 'daughter, mother' are referring to the Westerners' family or Iraqi POWs." That's a big distinction, and would imply a very different reading than the one implied by the original translation, which has driven much of the controversy.

Charles_sl

shitlord
I considered that the translation may be an issue as well as I deal with translations and ESL everyday. The translation of the words is another moot point in the discussion though.

The key point is that this controversy came up seemingly out of the blue and neither the concert organizers nor the first family showed a single care in the world about it. The controversy made many people upset, and for the record no I am not in the military nor have I ever been in the military (that's another moot point and should play no part in the argument or discussion), but those lyrics, no matter how they are translated, made people upset, including many of my family members and friends (several of whom are indeed in the military, but again that's a moot point).

Knowing that these comments caused such controversy and made people, including members of the military past and present, upset and angry should have been more than enough for the concert organizers to cancel his performance and/or for our president and the first family to avoid attending and further hurting these innocent people and causing more controversy.

It has nothing at all to do with free speech. It is simply right and wrong. That was just plain wrong for our president and the first family to attend a Psy performance during the middle of such a controversy. Simply out of respect and appreciation for our service men and women and their families they should have changed their plans.

P.S. As far as I know, Psy is not an American. The Bill of Rights does not apply to him. So again freedom of speech is a non-issue and a moot point in this discussion. What he is is a guest in our country and he should be respectful of that, just as I would be and just as I would want my fellow Americans to be respectful in his country (or any other country for that matter). Americans and Koreans are close friends, allies, and trading partners and we have been for a very long time. It was wrong for him to say those things about innocent Americans under any circumstances. To argue otherwise is idiocy.

I also think that it's worth pointing out again how easily his tune changes now that he is sleeping on beds made out of American Dollars. It's total hypocrisy and I find the entire thing disgusting. What I especially find disgusting is that my president and his family sat there watching him perform in the midst of this whole thing.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
How is this any different than most hip-hop lyrical content? Oh wait, I guess since they're Americans the Bill of Rights applies to them.

Dom_sl

shitlord
I considered that the translation may be an issue as well as I deal with translations and ESL everyday. The translation of the words is another moot point in the discussion though.

The key point is that this controversy came up seemingly out of the blue and neither the concert organizers nor the first family showed a single care in the world about it. The controversy made many people upset, and for the record no I am not in the military nor have I ever been in the military (that's another moot point and should play no part in the argument or discussion), but those lyrics, no matter how they are translated, made people upset, including many of my family members and friends (several of whom are indeed in the military, but again that's a moot point).

Knowing that these comments caused such controversy and made people, including members of the military past and present, upset and angry should have been more than enough for the concert organizers to cancel his performance and/or for our president and the first family to avoid attending and further hurting these innocent people and causing more controversy.

It has nothing at all to do with free speech. It is simply right and wrong. That was just plain wrong for our president and the first family to attend a Psy performance during the middle of such a controversy. Simply out of respect and appreciation for our service men and women and their families they should have changed their plans.

P.S. As far as I know, Psy is not an American. The Bill of Rights does not apply to him. So again freedom of speech is a non-issue and a moot point in this discussion. What he is is a guest in our country and he should be respectful of that, just as I would be and just as I would want my fellow Americans to be respectful in his country (or any other country for that matter). Americans and Koreans are close friends, allies, and trading partners and we have been for a very long time. It was wrong for him to say those things about innocent Americans under any circumstances. To argue otherwise is idiocy.

I also think that it's worth pointing out again how easily his tune changes now that he is sleeping on beds made out of American Dollars. It's total hypocrisy and I find the entire thing disgusting. What I especially find disgusting is that my president and his family sat there watching him perform in the midst of this whole thing.
What I find disgusting is that you've put this much thought and care into something that has no fucking effect on anything.

What I find disgusting is that there are hundreds of "artists" spewing out shit on a daily basis about kill this American Inventor, kill that American Inventor, kill the sand American Inventors, kill the jews, kill this, kill that. Where is your outrage over those, sir?

What I find disgusting is that you fail to realize that the choices and actions enacted by your country pissed off a lot of people for various reasons.

What I find disgusting is that you toss out freedom of speech as inapplicable because he isn't an American citizen. Is it an ideal you believe in? Or just a fucking policy, only applicable to you and yours?

What I find disgusting is the coffee I'm drinking. I put too much milk in it.

Get over your pointless jingoistic outrage.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Psy is not an American. The Bill of Rights does not apply to him. So again freedom of speech is a non-issue and a moot point in this discussion.
I always found this argument revolting. Let me remind you:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Yes, all men includes non-Americans. Freedom of speech is NEVER a non-issue you unpatriotic son of a bitch.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord

Yes, all men includes non-Americans. Freedom of speech is NEVER a non-issue you unpatriotic son of a bitch.
Especially hilarious when he points out "America is a beacon of freedom for the past 200 years, wharghlegharble!" on the first page.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
Let us hope that some of the posters in this thread never become international music sensations. Some of the posts they have made about South Korea would make it so that they would be unable to perform for their President.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I once talked to the reverend Sun Myung Moon. He bought two Jesus status from me. He's a hell of a nice guy. Ever seen that face on him? It was like a BIIIG apple pie.

Charles_sl

shitlord
What I find disgusting is that you've put this much thought and care into something that has no fucking effect on anything.

What I find disgusting is that there are hundreds of "artists" spewing out shit on a daily basis about kill this American Inventor, kill that American Inventor, kill the sand American Inventors, kill the jews, kill this, kill that. Where is your outrage over those, sir?

What I find disgusting is that you fail to realize that the choices and actions enacted by your country pissed off a lot of people for various reasons.

What I find disgusting is that you toss out freedom of speech as inapplicable because he isn't an American citizen. Is it an ideal you believe in? Or just a fucking policy, only applicable to you and yours?

What I find disgusting is the coffee I'm drinking. I put too much milk in it.

Get over your pointless jingoistic outrage.
+

[Declaration of Independence quote (not sure why it's missing)]

It does have an effect. It made people upset multiple times AND the president went to see this guy perform in the midst of this controversy! What is hard to understand that doing so was fucking inappropriate, disrespectful, and uncaring for the people affected?

Adding to that: You two are pretty fucking stupid and hypocritical in addition to that: The Bill of Rights is part of the American constitution, not the fucking South Korean constitution (at least as far as I know lol).

So now you guys think that we should force our Bill of Rights on other countries and other peoples who may not even want them? Awesome. And how do you plan for that to happen? War? Cultural inoculation?

Our Bill of Rights applies only to Americans as it should. I believe in freedom for all people and I am proud that our country (including my uncle) helped Koreans fight for theirs as well. Whether they want freedom is up to them. Our freedom of speech in no way applies to Koreans. I have no idea what their laws and rights are.

It's funny, you call me jingoistic and make me out to be the bad guy but you two (three actually, some retard gave me negative internets because he isn't American but apparently has freedom of speech, grats lol) are the ones who want to force American values on others. That isn't how freedom works friends.

I don't want my president to watch such a disrespectful and ungrateful retard perform in the midst of a controversy just as I don't want him to have a fucking cupcake date with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Dom_sl

shitlord
It does have an effect. It made people upset multiple times AND the president went to see this guy perform in the midst of this controversy! What is hard to understand that doing so was fucking inappropriate, disrespectful, and uncaring for the people affected?
The effect is a small number of people being offended by words that had no actual physical change on the world. It's all perception and reaction. If it had spawned a group of South Korean terrorists that ran around killing innocent people, it would be a whole different story. But what we have is people being offended... which happens in response to everything. This guy is a fucking entertainer, not a politician. He's a civilian expressing his opinion. Is it vulgar? Yes. Is it offensive? Sure. Does it matter? No.

Adding to that: You two are pretty fucking stupid and hypocritical in addition to that: The Bill of Rights is part of the American constitution, not the fucking South Korean constitution (at least as far as I know lol).

So now you guys think that we should force our Bill of Rights on other countries and other peoples who may not even want them? Awesome. And how do you plan for that to happen? War? Cultural inoculation?
What the fuck? Are you really this dense?

Our Bill of Rights applies only to Americans as it should. I believe in freedom for all people and I am proud that our country (including my uncle) helped Koreans fight for theirs as well. Whether they want freedom is up to them. Our freedom of speech in no way applies to Koreans. I have no idea what their laws and rights are.
So you believe in freedom of speech, but not for those are visiting your country? Why make the distinction? Even if you really must abandon your ideals due to nationality, try to fucking realize that he wasn't even in your country when he wrote/sang those lyrics. So, you're fighting for the idea that your country's laws don't apply to him to hold up your argument, while completely ignoring the laws of the country that he was in at the time.

It's funny, you call me jingoistic and make me out to be the bad guy but you two (three actually, some retard gave me negative internets because he isn't American but apparently has freedom of speech, grats lol) are the ones who want to force American values on others. That isn't how freedom works friends.
I wasn't making you out to be the bad guy. I was making you out to be a fucking idiot. Case in point: You're calling me a hypocrite for wanting to force the American bill of rights/American values on other people... Yet I'm Canadian. Will you throw a fit now that a foreigner has said something offensive on a website hosted in the US?

I don't want my president to watch such a disrespectful and ungrateful retard perform in the midst of a controversy just as I don't want him to have a fucking cupcake date with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
Tossing a shitty one-hit-wonder performer into the same realm as a sovereign leader of a country that provides real risk to the world... This is why I can't take you seriously.

There are so many really serious things in this world to worry about. There are so many serious issues in your country that your citizens and many people around the world need to worry about. This is not something worth worrying about.

ld0b7.jpg

ld0b7.jpg

Oldbased

> Than U
Wow, this thread went places I didn't expect.
It's one thing to post opinions and views of it, but you all have outright taken it to completely personal attacks on each other.
Agree or disagree can you all not insult each other like kids?

Charles_sl

shitlord
^^ clearly not.

Dabamf -- I don't even know what your argument has been in this thread you stupid cunt. Feel free to argue against my points and I will be happy to rip you a bigger asshole than your boyfriend does.

Dom -- Someone was using freedom of speech or the first amendment in their argument. I was pointing out that it didn't make any sense. One is because the guy isn't even American; two he didn't say those words in America; and three, it isn't an issue of freedom in any way whatsoever. It isn't an issue of the freedom of Koreans being oppressed by the American war machine who just takes up these huge parts of their country, running over little girls, etc. And it isn't an issue of Psy having the right to state however he feels.

And what is a small number of people being offended? I personally know many people who were offended. I'm sure that at least 1 million Americans were offended by his comments. Is that too small to matter?

The bottom line is that the performance of a person who sings about killing innocent Americans and smashes an effigy of an American tank should NOT have been attended by the American president and the first family. That's just plain fucked up.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
^^ clearly not.

Dabamf -- I don't even know what your argument has been in this thread you stupid cunt. Feel free to argue against my points and I will be happy to rip you a bigger asshole than your boyfriend does.
That's because you're dumb. Everything I've said has gone 15 miles over your head. You haven't made a single post that I haven't read and just gotten angry at how stupid it is. That's when it's time for ignore. I guess the only thing I should be surprised about is there haven't been more retards moving over here that finally get posting rights and remind everyone why registration was restricted on FOH.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm sure that at least 1 million Americans were offended by his comments. Is that too small to matter?
I would say less than 1% of the population is certainly too small to matter. Considering over 15% of America is atheist and it is perhaps the most ignored demographic in government; there is what...one declared atheist in Congress?