Psy sang about killing americans before Oppa Gangnam Style.

Faiona_sl

shitlord
I just want to say that you being very patriotic and loving our country so much...seems a bit odd getting so angry over someone expressing freedom of speech (whether or not they are an American shouldn't matter). Does freedom of speech only apply to things that you like or something? As someone that really loves KPop music and that song...of course I felt pretty disappointed/upset to learn that he had said those things. But that doesn't mean that I think he's a piece of shit or shouldn't be able to perform for fellow Americans, he was in a very heated emotional situation and expressed his opinion at the time. He apologized, and what else can you ask of someone? People say stupid things all the time that they wish they hadn't of said, it's just what makes you human. I don't know how many times I've said that I wished my mother in law would drop dead when I was pissed at her. You'd be lying to yourself if you hadn't at some point in time said something that could have been incredibly hurtful to someone?

It's also pretty ridiculous to expect all South Koreans to be American ass kissers just because we helped them in a war.

Feel free to be angry at him, you're just as entitled to your freedom of speech as well. But just remember that it goes both ways, and that is what makes countries that have freedom of speech great...you can be allowed to voice your opinion and not expect to get thrown in jail or something for it.

Probably shouldn't post this, as I don't really like getting into forum arguments with people..lol. So trying to be as nice as possible here!
smile.png

smile.png

smile.png

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
when i heard about these lyrics then i heard that hes going to be singing in front of this president, my first reaction was. of course. it all makes sense.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
And if there needed to be any more proof of you being wrong Charles, Astr0creep showed up and agreed with you. Game over.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Wow, in America it takes our rappers at least a good 20 years to become poppy caricatures in bowties, those Asians really more advanced.

Wintermute_sl

shitlord
Bunch of Hanoi Janes in this thread!

Seriously, celebrities say stupid shit. It doesn't actually matter in the great scheme of politics. I worry a hell of a lot more about what politicians say about politics. Let him perform, don't let him perform, it's not going to matter that much either way. Jane Fonda workout videos didn't destroy America. I'm sure Gangnam style won't either.

Dis

Confirmed Male
Having served my country, I could care less what PSY sings about. If anything I am disappointed he did not stand by his comments. This just goes to show you that a lot of Franklin's can make even a foreigner love the US even in the face of something he deemed tragic enough to sing out against. As far as singing in front of the President, we have had many a controversial singer perform for the POTUS, this wont be the first or last time. Bigger fish to fry IMO.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
People say stupid things all the time that they wish they hadn't of said, it's just what makes you human. I don't know how many times I've said that I wished my mother in law would drop dead when I was pissed at her.
Wait, so you've danced in front of your mother in law and said you wanted to kill her and her whole family, slowly and painfully? I mean, sometimes, sure we flub and hope someone will drop dead. But I can't remember the last time I've ranted for not only the person, but the entire family, daughters, father's, mothers and all to be killedslowly and painfully.

Don't get me wrong, I think a pop musician singing about politics is an engaging as an hillbilly discussing the merits of education reform. But comparing it to a momentary outburst is just a silly misrepresentation. After all, this guy penned the lyrics, added music, practiced it, prepared props, painted himself gold and then performed it in front of hundreds of people. Now, maybe you're just a crazy person, but typically when I tell someone drop dead it's a two second ordeal that happens and I instantly regret (Usually, except on these forums.)

So, defend his right to say that stuff and perform? Sure, that's fine. I think it's a bit of a political flub for Obama not to cancel, but I'm personally not irate over it. But this certainly wasn't similar to someone flipping someone the bird.

Wait, so you've danced in front of your mother in law and said you wanted to kill her and her whole family, slowly and painfully? I mean, sometimes, sure we flub and hope someone will drop dead. But I can't remember the last time I've ranted for not only the person, but the entire family, daughters, father's, mothers and all to be killedslowly and painfully.

Don't get me wrong, I think a pop musician singing about politics is an engaging as an hillbilly discussing the merits of education reform. But comparing it to a momentary outburst is just a silly misrepresentation. After all, this guy penned the lyrics, added music, practiced it, prepared props, painted himself gold and then performed it in front of hundreds of people. Now, maybe you're just a crazy person, but typically when I tell someone drop dead it's a two second ordeal that happens and I instantly regret (Usually, except on these forums.)

So, defend his right to say that stuff and perform? Sure, that's fine. I think it's a bit of a political flub for Obama not to cancel, but I'm personally not irate over it. But this certainly wasn't similar to someone flipping someone the bird.
Obama just wanted to look into his eyes before he ordered a drone strike.

Wintermute_sl

shitlord
Your comparison to Vietnam has clearly demonstrated the falseness of his statements.
I'm not sure which of his statements you think I was trying to prove false. I think the media tries to provoke a lot of political sturm and drang over what celebrities say and it works. I personally think that it's silly but if Charles wants to be upset about it, he's free to do so. I prefer to be upset over things that might actually matter and I don't think something a one hit wonder said 8 years ago is actually going to demoralize the American people so critically.

I think the reasons he made the statement would be more important than why he said it. It's normally glossed over though because America has this "We never fuck up" mentality.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Fine with it.

Can we get back to the important business of abusing gays, muslims and brown people, please?

Faiona_sl

shitlord

"On June 13, 2002, one of the many U.S. military vehicles in South Korea struck and killed two 14-year-old girls walking along the side of a road outside Seoul. Because of the terms of the U.S.-South Korean treaty that allows for America?s military presence there, the incident was considered a ?military operation? and thus outside of Korea?s jurisdiction. A U.S. court martial acquitted the driver and his commander."

Yea they definitely didn't have a reason to be furious at us or anything. You don't think if something like that happened to us that Americans wouldn't start spewing off hateful stuff against other countries too?

I didn't say that I liked what he said at all...and like I said before it made me pretty disappointed in him that he could say something so hateful. What I just was trying to say was that he has a right to free speech like we do. And no maybe it's not the same thing as telling someone to fuck off, as it was a lot more harsh...but words are words. He also did not pen the lyrics or make the music as it was another group's song that he performed with them. That doesn't make it an excuse or anything, but just sayin' since you said he did. :p

Also read this article,http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...y-translation/

Wouldn't be a shocker at all if our wonderful media didn't try and twist something to make it way worse than what it actually was. And as far as Obama and political flubs...you think Obama would actually be afraid to associate himself with someone that hated America? The guy is completely untouchable politically, look at his past friends and all the dumb shit that he's said himself.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Many Americans will be unable to sleep tonight because they're angry at a Korean who does a horse dance.

Seriously though, I'm not sure which story I hate more...this one or the nurse that committed suicide after being pranked on the radio.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yea they definitely didn't have a reason to be furious at us or anything. You don't think if something like that happened to us that Americans wouldn't start spewing off hateful stuff against other countries too?
The post was about how silly it was to compare it to a momentary outburst. Not the legitimacy of the outrage. At no point did I even comment on his reasoning for being angered, anywhere.

What I just was trying to say was that he has a right to free speech like we do. And no maybe it's not the same thing as telling someone to fuck off, as it was a lot more harsh...but words are words. He also did not pen the lyrics or make the music as it was another group's song that he performed with them. That doesn't make it an excuse or anything, but just sayin' since you said he did.
I agree he has the right to free speech but again, this was about the comparison. There is a world of difference between saying "I hope you die" and saying "I hope you, your daughter, your mom and dad, all die slow and painful deaths." The language of what was said is important. And so is the context of when it was said. Even if he didn't write it, he still learned the song and prepared to perform it--he had plenty of time to cool off and think about it. Which, on it's face, makes it vastly different than a momentary fit of anger. (Even in the legal sense.)

However, I'll readily agree with you that no one has a right to censor him. But, that being said, I don't think the President withdrawing his invitation is the same as censorship. If, for example, the President asked Google not to host Psy's videos, even if it the request carried no executive power, I would think THAT would be censorship. But simply not inviting him to a performance is just showing a displeasure for the musician, which is perfectly acceptable--freedom of speech does not guarantee people have to listen. For example, I would expect Madonna to be welcome at a concert for the French government anytime soon--it's just a political gaff to invite someone who spouted such vitriol.

And as for Obama being untouchable, meh. Yes, he has no more elections to face...But his party does and considering the amount of Gerrymandering in the congressional districts, this was a bad play on his part. Even if this doesn't affect Obama personally, what will happen now is some Super-Pac is going to run a video of Psy saying kill American daughters and mothers, and then run a video of him dancing for Obama. If you don't think this is going to happen, then you either underestimate the Republicans or vastly overestimate the average American voters intelligence. This was/is a fairly big gaff for him.
Also read this article,http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...y-translation/

Wouldn't be a shocker at all if our wonderful media didn't try and twist something to make it way worse than what it actually was. And as far as Obama and political flubs...you think Obama would actually be afraid to associate himself with someone that hated America? The guy is completely untouchable politically, look at his past friends and all the dumb shit that he's said himself.
heh, you should read the article.

All those - Yankees been torturing Iraqi captives and
All those - Yankees who ordered them to torture
Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers
Kill them all slowly, kill them all painfully

The updated lyrics don't really do much to change how bad it sounds. The title for that article is fairly bad.