Pussification in America: Political Correctness is Gay

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I've lived abroad for several years and been immersed in other cultures and I teach English as a Second Language for a living and interact with over a dozen cultures every day. I don't disagree that all cultures have some positives and some negatives and that it's all relative. I understand cultures and cultural differences VERY well, better than most Americans, probably.

That said, I will never agree that stoning a girl to death because she was raped is ANYTHING but completely shitty. You can look at from you scientific point of view all you want; I'm not an anthropologist so I don't give a shit about the scientific aspect of it.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
and that's why I think you can judge other cultures, because culture isn't dna or skin color it's all man made.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
East asian kids do better because their first/second generation parents hold them responsible for their actions as they reflect on the family as a whole. This is a consistent aspect of east asian culture. I'm pretty sure they also have a statistically higher rate of suicide, so it's not all #winning.
There is a big part I think you're missing and it's so much less interesting: school is valued more. When I lived in Korea, I was surprised to hear that high school kids almost never get jobs. Here in the states, if someone doesn't have a job in high school, you assume they're probably lazy or spoiled or something. We think it's good to have a job to learn some work ethic and start to take some financial responsibility. In Korea, time working = time not studying. It's a distraction from school. Why can't U.S. kids get "distracted from school" by work? Because we have plenty of time...because we don't study. The expectation in East Asia is that you will spend a vast majority of your childhood studying. High school kids--the ones being really pushed--stay up till 1am every single night. Wake up at 6am for your piano or violin lesson, go to school, stay at school till 6pm, eat dinner at school, then go to a private academy till midnight. That's through all of high school. That wasn't an isolated incident. More than half the people I knew had a similar description of high school. In contrast, in America you say "no playing till you do your [<1 hour of] homework" if you're a good parent.

But it's more than just parents pushing kids. Parents CAN push kids because it's the norm. Try sending your American child to private schools/tutoring after regular school till midnight. It's hard to do that because he's gonna come back with "why do I have to do this? None of my other friends have to." It's abnormal here. It's normal there. Asian Americans can do it because culture serves to isolate them from those kinds of peer influences.

And yes, you're right about suicide. The pressure is excessive and largely to blame for the astronomical suicide rates there.
Yeah, there's even a pejorative term for being honest about this kind of thing: ethnocentrism. I specifically remember being taught about how all cultures are wonderful and that judging others from the perspective of my own was ethnocentrism in junior high. Even back then that sounded like crap to me. But on the other hand, like I said, it's pretty difficult to separate race from culture in a lot of cases (Arab vs. tribal Islamic societies, for example).
My social science teachers must have been good in high school. I remember having to read "Clash of Civilizations"* followed by some rebuttal that it's not a clash of civilizations, but rather civilization vs savagery, basically espousing the idea that not all civilizations are equal. The teacher just presented both ideas and left it to us.

*being a lazy white American, I didn't actually read the book, so my understanding of it may be off

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
http://www.muslimphilosophy.com/tvtk/ch30.htm

Mohamed Islam: What is meant by "a concept of history"?

Abdel Wahab El Messeri: Any human writing is not a reproduction of reality. Even a news report includes certain information and excludes others, based on a certain philosophical outlook of the writer. The same with history. When an historian writes the history of say, Ancient Egypt, ( or Modern America, or 19th Century Europe ), he has data that fills the city of Cairo. He will not publish all this information, for that would be an archive. The writer decides what to include and what to exclude. So he picks and chooses determined by his own philosophical back ground to construct a history

For example, a history of the USA from the standpoint of White Settlers will be completely different from one written by Native Americans. The latter may concentrate and elaborate on genocidal massacres. A white historian will start of with the Declaration of Independence, and ignore a thousand years of beautiful Native American history

MI: The concept of history depends on subjectivity and the world outlook of the historian. What different world outlooks are there? What is the Islamic view?

AWM: Lets look at a few different views:

Cyclical Views: History goes in cycles. So there is no meaning. Things happen in a cyclical, nonsensical, meaningless way. There is no God or purpose behind events. This is the Greek view. Nitschean view is also cyclical , it is the modern cyclical view. E.g. Sprangler.
Providential View: History completely guided by God: controlled by Him. That either a group or the human species is chosen by God. There is a chosen people with this view, eg. Judaism.. This is similar to the cyclical view in that there is no human input at all.
Secular Deterministic View: ( Hegalian, Marxist views ) History is propelled by non-human forces, economic motives.Frued: eros, sexual drives. Hagel: The idea of the absolute state. Conflicts within matter that manifests itself through human society.
In all three views the idea of the autonomous human individual who can choose, who is responsible, and who carries moral burdens disappears altogether in a variety of determinism either cyclical, materialism, or providential. In all three there is no freedom of the will.

MI: That brings us to the Islamic concept. Is there an Islamic concept? If so, how did it originate and develop?

AWM:There is an Islamic World Outlook, a philosophy, a concept of history. It is based on a basic duality. God created the world, but does not dwell in it. He is removed from it.He cares for it, and guides it, but is always beyond it : Transcendental ( Muazza ). It is not dualism but duality.It is not God versus the world, but God beyond the world.We can interact with Him. God has granted us autonomy ( Fitra ) rights and drives. He has given us a mind to judge. He gave us a message, and a burden. We deserve to be the center of the universe. He left us free to choose, after giving us guidance, a covenant. He gave us all the tools. It is all up to us. He has given us history. History is the realm of freedom. We can save or damn ourselves...

MI: What do you mean by the movement of history?

AWM:According to the Islamic view it moves basically through the human will, not guided by laws of nature, but laws of God, and helped by nature, being an open book. From the secular materialistic point of view, history moves by some materialistic power, e.g. means of production, or the state moving history forward. The characteristic of all the materialistic ideas is that they all have an ending. So a secular messiah, e.g. Robespiere, Stalin, Hitler, Fukuyama, all claim, here is paradise, here is the end of history.

With Islam there is no end in history at all, except the day of judgment, which is outside history. In Judaism the day of judgment is within history. In Christianity the second coming is the end of history and is also within history.

In Islam there is no end in history. God is external to history, he guides history, but is not in it, he transcends it. In Islam history lasts forever, and within its realm man has freedom to choose.

http://www.missionislam.com/homed/response.htm

This link also has a discussion of the differences between an Islamic syncretism of Supernatural and Natural versus the Western "secular materialism". Its way too long to post here. The debate within Islam has been all about rejection of the materialistic Western secularism for Islamic values that include acceptance of Allah as the primary mover of history. Its no different from the debates within Western society between the religious and the secular.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
That said, I will never agree that stoning a girl to death because she was raped is ANYTHING but completely shitty.
Missing the point, and sort of implying that I would agree that this is okay behavior, its not and I don't.

This happens because the governing bodies in these regions are weak, or built up entirely of religious organizations because these societies are not as developed as the West (in part, in many cases, because of the West's imperialism, mind, especially in Africa and the Middle East), you're conflating a religious practice conducted by the most radical members of a society in a nation with a weak centralized authority and no history of suffrage yet occuring, and trying to conflate that to the entire culture, or broader culture.

It would be akin to looking at the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church members, and pretending that all of American culture behaves that way, or accepts their behavior as valid or good or acceptable, simply because we allow the behavior to go on, because in our legal system, those idiots have the right to free expression.

No one, not even anthropologists, believe that stoning a girl to death because she was raped is acceptable behavior, and no one is making the argument that we should accept that kind of behavior. In fact, anthropology has been at the front of the women's rights movement for most of the past century.

But you can't understand WHY that behavior occurs, if you don't TRY to see it from their perspective. And guess what? You aren't going to find a way to convince them to STOP the behavior, until you learn to address it in culturally relevant ways. Which will require a dialogue with those people. Which will require us to actually try to treat these people like they exist and have relevant and real concerns and world views created within their cultural contexts.

Which you aren't doing the second you say "They stone girls to death for being raped, therefore they are barbarian subhumans who simply cannot be reasoned with in any way".

You can't reason with people if you don't try.

And during the entire time the US government has had boots on the ground in Afghanistan, teams of anthropologists have been over there, trying to create the sort of dialogue and cultural exchanges which would allow for us to be able to exert influence and pressure on these people to modernize some of their cultural systems. But its hard when you're trying to make nice with people who just had their village razed to the ground by an airborne AC 130 weapons platform.

As long as they feel we are their enemy, nothing we can say or do will change their attitudes towards things like rape. Why do Islamic males stone women to death for being raped? Can you even answer that question? Because before you can stop it, you need to understand why its occurring in the first place. You need to understand, from their point of view, how the world works, why this is acceptable behavior to them. Otherwise you can't address the behavior in culturally appropriate ways that will convince them to stop.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
People should focus more on the ideas that are behind cultural differences in the first place. Successfully challenge the idea(s) and the culture changes.

McCheese

Which you aren't doing the second you say "They stone girls to death for being raped, therefore they are barbarian subhumans who simply cannot be reasoned with in any way".
Please don't put words into my mouth. I have said multiple times that my problem lies with the cultures (or, perhap to make it more specific to your last post, the factors and events that make the current cultural practices acceptable) and NOT with individual people.

As I said, I interact with tons of cultures on a daily basis. I have a lot of students and friends who are from the Middle East, some of whom have shared their personal opinions on things like stoning, Israel, etc. with me. Do I hate these people once they tell me all this stuff that I disagree with? Of course not! They're perfectly nice people and good friends. However, that won't stop me from disagreeing with some of their cultural practices, just like they will always disagree with some of mine.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, bro, and I apologize if the way I typed that it appears that was what I was doing, it was not intentional. Rather, the conclusion that "This culture is bad, therefore it is barbaric and cannot be reasoned with" is the conclusion reached historically when one culture judges another culture by its behavioral practices. What did the Romans call the Germanic tribes to the North? Barbarians. Why? They weren't "civilized" to Roman standards. Romans literally thought these people had no homes and lived like animals, in retrospect, it turns out that the Germanic cultures had large cities, and built more roads than the Romans did (though out of wood, so they did not last as long as the Roman brick constructions did).

That's what we do in Western culture today. We look at shit like Afghan villages killing a girl for being raped, and we project. We think these people are basically subhuman. Neanderthals if you will. Incapable of being reasoned with.

And of course, if that's the attitude we go into a discussion with these people with, is it any surprise that they would reject anything we have to say?

I don't think we really have a disagreement at this point. I think you're kinda saying what I'm saying, but the problem is I'm coming from this from an academic viewpoint, and terms like "culture" have very specific meanings in those contexts which lead to a more complex view of the discussion as it is being laid out.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm not a culturist, I'm an wealthist. I hate people who are poorer than me and I hate people who are richer than me.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Are you fucking joking, or just ignorant? Christianity has similar views on materialism, its part and parcel of Abrahamic theology, you know. Thou shalt have no other gods before me, including false idols like golden calves and the television.
If you're going to throw Christianity out there at the same time as Arabs, your statement makes even less sense. The United States is considered a heavily Christian society, so therefore...we hate ourselves? Arabs are materialistic as fuck. Just because a religion has some scripture that mentions something doesn't mean theculturereflects that in any way.

And fana, Turks aren't Arabs. They're not even 2% of the population. And the Arabs in Turkey aren't even remotely similar to the ones in the Middle East.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Regardless of the situation a culture/small tribe of people are in, some actions are inexcusable. Tolerance isn't needed when practices that just cause human suffering are used, and shouldn't. Sorry, some cultures aren't worth preserving. Studied, yes.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The only Arabs who are materialistic as fuck are the rich and powerful leaders.

All them poor people see materialism is the source of their ills

And yes, in churches all around America even today they lament the idols we surround ourselves. Luxury cars, beautiful women full of plastic, televisions and the internet.

The thing is we're so secular now that those religious people aren't being heard any more.

Which is what Islam rejects. And I probably should have used the term militant Islamist rather than Arab, that was a mistake on my part for which I apologize.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Regardless of the situation a culture/small tribe of people are in, some actions are inexcusable. Tolerance isn't needed when practices that just cause human suffering are used, and shouldn't. Sorry, some cultures aren't worth preserving. Studied, yes.
The vast majority of real cultural diversity died out over the last century. Most of the hunter-gatherer tribal cultures that once existed are gone, same too with most agriculturalist and pastoralist nomads.

Preservation isn't even on the table for the most part anymore. Its simply not possible. Modernity has washed it all away. Even now, across Africa, the few remaining tribal cultures are collapsing, as more and more young men move to the cities to try and find work, leaving the aging and the women behind to tend fallow fields and survive drought after drought as best they can.

McCheese

Which is what Islam rejects. And I probably should have used the term militant Islamist rather than Arab, that was a mistake on my part for which I apologize.
Yeah, it's important to specify that it's the more extreme/hardliners who think this way. Your run-of-the-mill Muslim loves iPads and Gucci as much as any American Joe Blow. I've always gotten a kick out of seeing a woman in a full burka play Angry Birds on her iPhone.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
And that's sorta the point. We can't look at Afghans stoning raped women to death, and come to the conclusion that all Islamic or Arabic culture is invalid or wrong or immoral or unworthy because some hard liners in a tiny village somewhere who had virtually no education, do not view the world from a modern style viewpoint got a mob riled up and did something stupid and wrong and then justified it based on their religious values.

Do we blame all of Western civilization for shitty bankers blowing up the world economy? Are all Westerners to blame, and their culture to blame, for the mistakes of a few bad people? Of course not.

And the same can be said for other cultures. We should not extrapolate our disgust or dislike of an aspect of a culture onto the entire broad population body. This is unfair.

Most Arabs and most Islamists do not think stoning a woman who was raped to death is a good thing. Some do, because they basically have been taught their whole lives a specific interpretation of a religious document that they do not have the capacity to see in another light. You raise a young boy up in one of these madrassas for decades, he's going to come out believing the Quran is literally the word of God, because he has no context to see the world in a different light.

And we all know once someone is inculturated and set in their ways, its going to be very hard to alter that, especially if they're older than about 25 or 30. For people in some countries, that will be over half their life believing one way. Its very very difficult to change that. Try and convince an 80 year old die hard Baptist Preacher that Darwin was right, you'll see how hard it is to change those types of attitudes.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Tolerance isn't needed when practices that just cause human suffering are used, and shouldn't.
So when can we stop tolerating the 1%?

Instead of bitching about what brown people are doing, how about we fix our own culture?
We've got more than enough injustices going on every day inOUR OWNculture. Playing "holier than thou" is not only pointless, it's hypocritical.

Ironically, the flaws in wealth-obsessed western culture have a huge impact on the rest of the world, much larger than any impact they could have on us. Dismantle the 1%, reduce the income gap, stop fighting pointless wars and concentrate on the health and education of our own citizens, and maybe then we can think of judging other cultures as "inferior".

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Did I ever state our culture was superior in every way? I made a statement that practices that increase human suffering should not be tolerated. I didn't explicitly exempt the ultra-wealthy that exploit countless people.

Edit - on the pussification of America and political correctness, see Tanoomba for what happens when that shit gets way out of control.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
If possible, I'd like to import some of Islamic culture into America
and marry little children.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
If possible, I'd like to import some of Islamic culture into America
and marry little children.

8 year olds, dude.

So when can we stop tolerating the 1%?

Instead of bitching about what brown people are doing, how about we fix our own culture?
We've got more than enough injustices going on every day inOUR OWNculture. Playing "holier than thou" is not only pointless, it's hypocritical.

Ironically, the flaws in wealth-obsessed western culture have a huge impact on the rest of the world, much larger than any impact they could have on us. Dismantle the 1%, reduce the income gap, stop fighting pointless wars and concentrate on the health and education of our own citizens, and maybe then we can think of judging other cultures as "inferior".
Exactly the point. Depending upon perspective, it wouldn't be very hard to find ways to describe Western civilizations as one of the most corrupt, most indecent, immoral and unethical in history. Which is exactly what the Nacirema thought experiment tries to illustrate, and that's why its given to students in sociology, anthropology, etc. in most universities in the country.

Perspective is really neat because of the way we allow our individual perspectives to define our existences. Its like how they put blinders on horses during races to make them focus ahead and not become distracted by the other horses racing with them. Our cultures build blinders on our own world views that makes it very easy to criticize others, and much harder to criticize ourselves.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>

8 year olds, dude.
I'd like to get value packs.

rrr_img_28160.jpg

rrr_img_28160.jpg