Rakka (2017)

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So they're creating these Volume I episodes to seek further funding? Hmm... the material is kinda cool. Unique, but I'm not sure if it's good unique.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
So what's the deal with these? Will they be completed if they get enough donations or something?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

You can buy them on Steam for $4.99, they give you some behind the scenes stuff and it helps fund future projects.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
You can buy them on Steam for $4.99, they give you some behind the scenes stuff and it helps fund future projects.

Between that and youtube add revenue it might be a pretty legit strat. Combining 6 of these into a free form narrated movie that gives no fucks about actual character building or arcs would be awesome.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I would love that. I used to love reading short stories and watching anthology series, something they don't do too much anymore. So far they're doing pretty well.

• 1Like

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
As a director I feel Blomkamp almost suffers for Zach Snyder Syndrome at times (all show, no go), but at the same time I really feel gritty sci-fi is his niche and if he can get some help with writing, he has an amazing eye for how to portray those stories. District 9 is one of my favorites and Elysium isn't as bad as a lot of people claim it to be. I'm sad his take on the Alien franchise was pushed and he hasn't been askled to do a Halo movie (or Warhammer 40k what!?). I have enjoyed these shorts for sure, interested to see where this goes.

• 1Like

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So they're creating these Volume I episodes to seek further funding? Hmm... the material is kinda cool. Unique, but I'm not sure if it's good unique.

So what's the deal with these? Will they be completed if they get enough donations or something?

Are they going to continue these stories?

Chappie director says he’s not looking to rip fans off with new project, will compensate contributors

Some more information in there with his goals for these projects.

When it comes down to it, however, Blomkamp’s main goal is to create feature-length, $50 million films without having to rely on a studio. During our conversation, the topic of how directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller were recently fired from the Han Solo stand-alone project came up. We talked about what it was like to work with studios on big budget films and the stress that can sometimes come with making a director’s personal style reflect the vision the studio has for that picture.

Every article is pretty much the same though. He wants to do more sure but isnt committing to anything

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Am I the only one that thought the "angels" in Rakka actually looked kind of like demons?

Other than the obvious black/dark vs white/light aspect, which is almost universally used, I was hoping we'd perhaps "sell our souls" (metaphorically) to the light guys for help, only to find out they were way worse than the dark guys. I mean, cool as that short was (and it was great), if it basically comes down to good vs. evil, not only is that nothing special, but it doesn't really strike me as the type of trite message Blomkamp would send in a movie of his creation.

Juvarisx

Florida
Damn Firebase was really good, liked it a whole lot more then Rakka.

Dude has some real good ideas.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Are Rakka and Firebase connected? Or he's going to give us just random material from time to time?

Cybsled

I think they are stand alone for now. I bought the Rakka thing on steam because I liked the concept and wanted to support them. You get 3D models of the stuff they rendered, concept artwork, and a HD download of the short film.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Did they at least shoot on location in Syria for this?

Or is this just more green-screened garbage. I've been waiting for a movie to head out to the East ever since the Syrian who-dunnit Inescapable back in 2012. Great movie on location in Lebanon by the way.

Last edited:
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Did they at least shoot on location in Syria for this?

Or is this just more green-screened garbage. I've been waiting for a movie to head out to the East ever since the Syrian who-dunnit Inescapable back in 2012. Great movie on location in Lebanon by the way.
Futurama-Fry.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

The God short was pretty good "Release the plague, Jeffrey!"

• 1Like