Raspberry Pi

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Holy shit I just realized it will work on mobile devices as well, when connected to the home network.

uBlock Origin has been great for PC, but never had a solution for mobile devices that I ever heard about. Granted I never researched much.

Can the Raspberry Pi running as the pihole do anything else like work as an emulator for games too or just the pihole?

Fucker

Log Wizard
I ordrered one of these. Already have the SD card set up. Synergy also works on it which is pretty damn slick.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Holy shit I just realized it will work on mobile devices as well, when connected to the home network.

uBlock Origin has been great for PC, but never had a solution for mobile devices that I ever heard about. Granted I never researched much.

Can the Raspberry Pi running as the pihole do anything else like work as an emulator for games too or just the pihole?
I think technically it can, but you'd honestly be better off just buying a pi-zero (very cheap) and putting the pi-hole on that and have a separate raspberry pi for emulation. That's what I do.

And pi-hole is awesome, it works for all devices on the network. Phones, tablets, ps4, tv, etc.

The only issues I've really had with pi-hole is sometimes it will block something that makes it so some app/website can't work properly so you have to do the 5 minute disable on it. I think technically you could just do this stuff on your router too, but you sound cooler having a little rpi that you have doing this.

We turned ours off for a couple months when I re-wired our house and there was a noticable increase in ads. Youtube especially.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Alright so I have enough devices on my home network now that I want to install pi-hole.

I'm thinking about getting this:

https://www.pishop.us/product/raspberry-pi-zero-w-budget-pack/

And getting a USB microSD card reader so I can image the microSD card.

Is there anything I'm missing or need to know? I am only going to be using the pi zero W for pi-hole and I don't need the HDMI adapter or USB adapter AFAIK but it's cheaper to buy that bundle than it is to buy the basic kit + microSD card.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
PiHole pretty much takes care of it's self all the time, just make sure you keep up on updates for the core of it, and everything should be golden. Alot of Ad companies are figuring out ways around the reroutes the program does, but the dev's are pretty good about pushing updates out faster then the Ad companies can.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You can easily run it headless. You can ssh into it, or install xrdp and remote into it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Alright so I have enough devices on my home network now that I want to install pi-hole.

I'm thinking about getting this:

https://www.pishop.us/product/raspberry-pi-zero-w-budget-pack/

And getting a USB microSD card reader so I can image the microSD card.

Is there anything I'm missing or need to know? I am only going to be using the pi zero W for pi-hole and I don't need the HDMI adapter or USB adapter AFAIK but it's cheaper to buy that bundle than it is to buy the basic kit + microSD card.
If you're remotely familiar with Linux it's basically Debian that you're running headless. Just remote into it with putty and you're good. It'll have a local web gui on your network you can access for pihole

Kais

<Gold Donor>
That's how i run my pihole, headless. It's a dedicated device on my network so i don't really care about the overhead of a GUI that i'll never see. Granted it's not much overhead but w/e. I've one that has 2 cameras, motion sensor, and relay to turn on an outside spotlight for my garage and record whatever trips the motion in or out of my garage. Another that i fart around with and sits on my desk (the only one with a GUI come to think of it), and one running Octoprint for my 3d printer. My next Pi will be a VPN probably so i can remote in on my phone and monitor the 3d printer. I've used one in conjunction with a SDR for Ham radio before. I should really set that one up again.

I should probably print out a small rack for them....

• 1Like

Lurkingmoar

Molten Core Raider

I had a raspberry pi 3 B with pihole, as samba media server, and running a mumble server on raspbian noobs for a time. Not optimal, but everything worked fine for the most part.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Since we are talking about Piholes again, I want to run this by everyone (again, I think) to see if I can get some help as my internet searches have been fruitless.

I got my pihole set up and everything looked good, but when I set it to be my network-wide DNS server my internet performance cliff dives. The response time using it as my primary DNS is just horrendous, but I feel like it has to be something I'm doing wrong as everyone on here raves about it and I doubt you guys would suffer poor response time for the ad-blocking convenience. What do, bros?

Fucker

Log Wizard
Since we are talking about Piholes again, I want to run this by everyone (again, I think) to see if I can get some help as my internet searches have been fruitless.

I got my pihole set up and everything looked good, but when I set it to be my network-wide DNS server my internet performance cliff dives. The response time using it as my primary DNS is just horrendous, but I feel like it has to be something I'm doing wrong as everyone on here raves about it and I doubt you guys would suffer poor response time for the ad-blocking convenience. What do, bros?

Have you done the usual stuff? Running off of ethernet port not wifi? Tried a different ethernet port? Tried a different cable? Start from scratch on the Raspbian/Pi-hole install?

LiquidDeath

Have you done the usual stuff? Running off of ethernet port not wifi? Tried a different ethernet port? Tried a different cable? Start from scratch on the Raspbian/Pi-hole install?

I've done all that except a full clean install.

That is probably not a bad idea.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider

Some idea's

The only time I've ran into problems with piHole was bad networking cables, never had DNS issues at all.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Pi came in today. I got the 3B+. Pretty slick! It runs about 100x times better than I thought it would. No lag at all. I'll plug it in to my router tomorrow and test out the Pi-Hole software.

Took me about 5 mins to flash Raspberian to the micro SD card, about a minute to assemble the device, and about 30s to plug it in. Less than 5 minutes updates including the Pi-Hole install.

It's a slick like computer, that's for sure.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Under settings > DNS who do you have checkboxed as provider?

piholedns.JPG

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Hmm that should be all well and good, and your router points to the ip of the pi as it's primary dns?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
My Pi came in yesterday and I have pi-hole up and running. I chose Quad9 as my upstream DNS but the article I was reading suggested maybe this only blocks ads and not malware and I could add others? My question is, if I just add a bunch of other upstream DNS servers in the custom fields (as in the screenshot above), do they interfere with each other or do they all work in tandem?

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Which upstream dns provider you use has nothing to do with the ads blocked or shown, just which host you use to resolve web addresses. Alot of people prefer to use a DNS provider like google other than the the DNS of your ISP for privacy concerns. Content blocking is the job of pihole and is managed by lists. Whereas something like uBlock prevents ads from being displayed in the browser, the connection to the source of the ad has already been resolved. pihole will return a "destination unreachable" to a blocked ad request preventing the ad from ever resolving on the pc itself. A layer of abstraction as it were.

There are many curated block lists that the pihole can use beyond it's defaults (which are pretty good). r/pihole is a good place to start for more lists.