Raspberry Pi

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
In case anyone else was wondering the same thing, I more or less answered the question for myself.

The short answer is that there's no point in buying a kit computer for streaming when you can get a Fire TV, Xiaomi Mi Box, or WeTek Hub which can not only install Kodi 17, but can also do Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc. at 4K. I'm probably going with the Fire TV, but the Mi Box is tempting for ~$20 less. WeTek has to ship from UK and the Hub is the same price as the Fire TV without offering any advantages I can see, so I ruled that one out.

I ended up just ordering a RPi 3 for pi-hole and whatever else I can think of doing with it. Could have stuck with the Pi Zero W, but I'm skeptical about running a DNS server on a wireless-only device. I know people say it works fine but I just don't trust wireless for anything even if it would be sitting 2' from my router.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Thinking about putting together a pi-hole, is it still the best way to get rid of ad's or has there been anything better that's come along?

I'd replied to this but I guess the server crash ate it.

I think Pi-Hole alone is worth the $35 it costs for a Raspberry Pi 3. Some routers are able to run Pi-Hole on them by themselves (my router included), but getting it installed on the Rpi for me was stupid easy and I didn't really see the point of mucking with it. I plan on having the same Pi run my Unifi Controller eventually as well.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I installed Pi-Hole on my PI3 and it was pretty painless to do. I still run ublock just to get rid of all the webpage ad elements though otherwise wherever there was an ad leaves a nice eyesore on the webpage.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Hey guys - so my kit has NOOBS preinstalled. I am looking at Retropie. Should I just overwrite the card and install RetroPie via image? Is RetroPie it's own OS? I am also interested in Kodi but have little to no knowledge. Basically I am using this bundle below - and 99% interested just for emulation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWVVMUI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although the more I hear about Kodi the more intrigued I am, and from what I have seen, I can install Kodi via RetroPie in config from watching this video.

Recommendations? And should I hang onto NOOBS?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Thinking about buying that kit to set up a retro pie for my brother in law, do old gamecube controllers work with it? Any other kit suggestions over this?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
So I ordered one then found out brother in law got a SNES classic for xmas so I cancelled it. How well do these things work for N64 games? Reads like you have to OC it and then you have heat issues? Maybe wait until the next version of these come out for next year?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
With the latest pi I think some of the games run pretty good, but it's really not strong enough for n64. It's a computer the size of a credit card so it can only do so much. It really shines on everything through the 16 bit era

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
So I ordered one then found out brother in law got a SNES classic for xmas so I cancelled it. How well do these things work for N64 games? Reads like you have to OC it and then you have heat issues? Maybe wait until the next version of these come out for next year?
After playing around with it, I have opted to keep it an NES and SNES only, though I could see adding some old school Sega Games too. The N64 was more about the controls vs the performance, I bought an 8BITDO that is like an SNES Controller.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
After playing around with it, I have opted to keep it an NES and SNES only, though I could see adding some old school Sega Games too. The N64 was more about the controls vs the performance, I bought an 8BITDO that is like an SNES Controller.

Don't forget Gameboy games!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Bought a kit off Amazon the Vilros, the fucking sd card with NOOBS and raspbian has corruption so can't install, however was able to install retropie and its some old crappy version thst my sn30 controller wont register to. Looks way different I think it's some old version.

Time to read a guide off here so I can play Ogre Battle with my daughter.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
20180105_184325.jpg

Can't wait to use this.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
IMG297244336.jpg

Ok so I have the splash screens loaded I want, I have the GUI setup, quick question:

When I ran zsnes back in the day it had options in certain resolutions that smoothed pixels and made stuff look better, I see I can select a bunch of options under snes9x Which is the emulator loaded, anyone know if this is still a thing?

Edit:

Found it - Retroarch let's you load shaders that alter how the games look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
So what's the best emulator hardware these days?

I'm just about ready to make the Retropie leap (if that's what's still the best).

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Anyone here do any embedded or cloud stuff with their pi? Have mine connected to AWS. Gonna use it as a MQTT broker between AWS and some other devices

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure who was the first to bring up pihole but thanks. This has been hands down the best addition to my home network.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users