Raspberry Pi

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So I think something fucky is going on with it. I'm going to reinstall as soon as I have some time. This is what my dashboard looks like every day:

pihole.JPG

At all times it shows that there are 240 DNS queries being processed, even though nothing is pointing at the pihole. It is just sitting behind my router. Also, I have IPv6 turned off on my router, so I don't know why any queries of that type are occurring.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Yeah i'd start with a wipe of the SD and fresh install. Faster than troubleshooting it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Have you done the usual stuff? Running off of ethernet port not wifi? Tried a different ethernet port? Tried a different cable? Start from scratch on the Raspbian/Pi-hole install?

Thanks again for the suggestion. I reinstalled on a new SD card, set it up, and now it is working flawlessly.

BTW, what DNS do you guys use? I just switched to Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) and it is noticeably faster than Google. I was going to go with Quad9, but heard it is slow enough to make you not want the extra security. I also worry that it will block my access to torrent and newsgroup sites.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah when I added all the samsung stuff it jumped from 15% to 62%. I said about half but its looking to be more than that. I read that when you block the tv it goes crazy and pings a lot trying to get home.

My wife spends a ton of time on her iPad on all facebook/instagram/pintrest and we use youtube a lot.

Adding a picture of the blocks I have, noticed samsung is +16000 requests total. The rest is what you would expect.

Last edited:

Kais

<Gold Donor>
A raspberry pi, an SD card (8GB is more than enough), a power supply, and a case. Canakit has good starters on Amazon.

There's more than a few good youtube videos that are complete walkthroughs with good information. "pihole install". They'll do a better job explaining than i can tbh. If you have trouble or questions by all means ask them here. You'll also want to install PuTTY to SSH into the pi and Win32DiskImager to quickly and easily write an .img to the SD.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Okay so my computer and tablet work fine after I set up pihole and have my router using it for DNS server, but my phone says the network has no internet connection. Any thoughts?

Edit: nevermind, working now after restarting phone

Last edited:

Fucker

Log Wizard
Okay so my computer and tablet work fine after I set up pihole and have my router using it for DNS server, but my phone says the network has no internet connection. Any thoughts?

Edit: nevermind, working now after restarting phone

Have you not heard of Google at all in the last 20 years?