Raspberry Pi

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Probably shitty usb devices. I have overdrawn the USB ports so bad that the devices barely function or not at all

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I just bought a couple Raspberry Pi's. One of them I was going to use to run Pi-hole and the other one I was just gonna screw around with.

I've not done a whole lot of reading but anyone got any ideas that don't involve making a emulator or something stupid like that?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Mmm home automation I don't really have anything like that, no Alexa or Google Home. I've been farting around the idea of getting a smart thermostat, though.

I need to find an excuse to just go full-on smart home. Last time I brought it up my wife was like "...why do we need a smart coffee maker?" Not exactly what I'd meant but I was sorta stumped.

Then again, where's the fun in that? I need to keep looking for some ideas. The Pi-hole thing seems cool as fuck, I'll be running that for sure.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Most of my work was academic, but you can see what people are doing on /r/rpi (think that's the subreddit). People do crazy shit. If you're good at programming C or Python you can do virtually anything the hardware can handle by wiring other chips to the gpios.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Do either of you have a recommendation for an OS to still for a noob like me?

Probably would prefer to use one of the ones listed for Pi-hole:
  • Raspbian: Jessie (lite / with pixel)
  • Ubuntu: 14.04 / 16.04 / 16.10
  • Fedora: 24 / 25
  • Debian: 8.6
  • CentOS: 7.2.1511 / 7.3.1611

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I'm going to pi-hole my pi. I used to have it hooked up to my garage doors so that I could open/close them and view the state of them remotely. It was actually a rather involved project that took a couple of weekends to get working right.

Pi's also make pretty cool security cameras. The cameras are pretty cheap and if you find a weather resistant housing you can put them outside. The low power requirements also make it easy to use a device like this Amazon.com: WS-POE-USB-Kit for iPad or Tablet, Remote USB Charger Via PoE Ethernet Cable up To 328 Feet With 5 Volts 10 Watts and Female USB: Computers & Accessories to deliver power over your existing data wiring in your house.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Warning on the rasbian, it might be UK KB setup. I had some problems trying to get that switched to another region/country. Seems vi wasnt wanting to work correctly and I had to install w/ pixel to change it. Good otherwise.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Did the RetroPi, is there a walk through on putting iso's into the emulators? Do you just drag and drop them?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Did the RetroPi, is there a walk through on putting iso's into the emulators? Do you just drag and drop them?

I'm assuming you have yours connected to your wifi network. Find the retropie on your network. Just go into the ROMS folder and drag and drop the roms to the specific console that they are for. Nes to Nes folder SNES to SNES folder etc.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I need to setup my pihole this weekend but I have first world problems like I can't find my wireless keyboard adapter and since we changed my network since I last used it I can t go headless

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Not really. For me it's about automatic blacklist updates and a nice stat screen to look at.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user