Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
i really wanted an after credits scene with him strolling up on the 2 dicks that stole her truck with bat in hand

The movie would really work as a Negan origin story if the daughter died at the end before help arrived, then there's a mid-credits scene with the dad looking through her phone and seeing the video of her recounting everything, then another after-credits scene of him sitting in the desert watching the two guys in the RV from a distance, then getting out and walking towards them in the dead of night, bat in hand, maybe stopping to yank some barbed wire off the fence and wrap it around the bat. Then you realize that the movie you just watched was actually in the Walking Dead universe.

People actually steal their car while they are stuck up there? Bwaaahahaha that's awesome, might have to watch the movie just for that.

Yes.

• 1Let's Go
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Sanctum - The last James Cameron movie I had left to watch. I've now seen all of them. Except he only executive produced this movie, didn't write or direct. And it shows. This is from 2012 or so when he was riding the Avatar wave and it got some hype off of that. Basically tries to be a modern version of The Abyss, only with people trapped in a cave deep underwater. Lot of small spaces and drowning in this one. Wasn't that well-written and somehow managed to be forgettable despite the scary material.

It's got a team of people in it like most movies of this nature, but only one of them was actually competent. He's also the one that the rest of them dislike and blame shit on for the whole movie, until he eventually just goes "fuck it" and does his own thing. Actually that was a problem throughout the whole script: Every time anything went wrong, people would immediately look for someone to blame and be like "if you hadn't X, we wouldn't be Y!" It comes off as childish as fuck, like the cast are all teenagers. But more importantly, it comes off like they're all the same person since they all react with the same annoying finger-pointing any time any adversity arises.

The one competent guy keeps everyone alive as much as he can, gets blamed for a lot of stuff, and ultimately assaulted for it. And I never got the impression the movie was self-aware about all of this. Would have been better off if he just left all of them the second things went south, or even seemed to consider it. Annoying movie. 6/10.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Watching the Hobbit movies for the second time ever, first was in a theater. I think I saw this with my mom back then and it made like zero impression on either of us, to the point that this rewatch almost felt like a first viewing. The fact that it's like 90% CGI and people interacting onscreen without even being in the same room with each other really shows. It all feels very...off. They drag way too much of it out and it's very clear that this trilogy should have been two movies instead and gotten rid of all the goddamn padding. Bilbo feels so disinterested in everything for the whole movie that it makes me disinterested. 7/10.

I'll say this for Martin Freeman though, he's an incredible actor and he can convey such a range of thoughts without even uttering a word in some of these scenes. Two really good examples are the scene where Gollum blocks his way to the exit and he has a chance to kill Gollum. Instead he stands there looking at him and goes through such a range without even uttering a word. Another example is soon after that when Thorin confronts Bilbo outside. Another big range of emotions without Bilbo even uttering a word for it.

Last edited:

lurker

Vyemm Raider
12 Monkeys

Sci-Fi film directed by Terry Gilliam. Stars Bruce Willis, Madeleine Stowe and Brad Pitt, who turns in an amazing performance. Timely epidemic subject matter. Kinda sad at the end. The last time I saw this was 2008. It has aged very well and was still engrossing. A good story well told.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug - Weird thing about this is that Bilbo is very visibly de-aged with CGI at some points in this one. Which is super weird because they filmed these close together. As it is, going right from one movie to the next, Bilbo looks YOUNGER in the second movie than he does in the first and it's totally unnecessary. The movie itself is fine, liked the dragon and the stuff with Gandalf confronting Sauron at Dol Guldur. Any more Sauron is good with me since we see so little of him overall.

Legolas' dad is an annoying asshole. I wonder who'd win in a 1v1 between him and the Witch-King of Angmar though. Seems like they're the two strongest dudes on either side.

Tauriel is annoyingly OP, but at least she's profoundly attractive in this with the red hair. Legolas is, as always, annoyingly OP. Don't think we needed Legolas in these movies and we certainly didn't need a second Legolas. 7/10 like the first one but I also found it a shade less enjoyable. Maybe a 6.5 for all the damn CGI.

They played Ed Sheeran during the end credits, probably because they wanted everyone to get the hell out.

The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies - They really wanted this to be Return of the King 2.0. This was actually the only one of the 3 that I really liked, which is surprising because it's the one that pads the story the most in their mission to reach 3 movies. It's also the one I liked the least in theaters. Well, this time around it was solid and felt like a worthy series finale to a show. Made me feel like going right into the LOTR trilogy, but that's for another time. I totally forgot that _______ and ____ die in this movie, so both of those got me. Aside from people auctioning his stuff, the ending with Bilbo going home to the ridiculously-pretty Shire was a very nice moment, in contrast to everything he'd gone through before it. 8/10.

Overall I think this trilogy is better than people give it credit for or remember, and suffers a lot from being compared to the superior LOTR movies. Give it a rewatch and it might impress you. Or it might be mundane. IDK. I'll also say I spent my last day of vacation on Hobbit movies and CRPGs and don't regret it at all so that's a point for the movies.

12 Monkeys

Sci-Fi film directed by Terry Gilliam. Stars Bruce Willis, Madeleine Stowe and Brad Pitt, who turns in an amazing performance. Timely epidemic subject matter. Kinda sad at the end. The last time I saw this was 2008. It has aged very well and was still engrossing. A good story well told.

This is a good one. Yeah, the end is sad. As a kid, watching that movie was one of the early times I realized that sometimes you can't fix things.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The Tomorrow War - What the fuck happened to this abortion of a movie? This was terrible. The whole thing was a waste. Waste of Pratt, waste of Strahovski, Gilpin… waste of concept. I don’t even want to rate this piece of shit.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The Tomorrow War - What the fuck happened to this abortion of a movie? This was terrible. The whole thing was a waste. Waste of Pratt, waste of Strahovski, Gilpin… waste of concept. I don’t even want to rate this piece of shit.
Amazon marketed the shit out of that movie when it first released.

Goatface

1681625225747.png

couple of days ago, the director chris mckay was asked about it

• 1Direct to DVD

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Viking - Cute little film. Quiet. Not a whole whole lot goes on. But it is well done I thought.

They try to recruit members to assume the roles of astronauts on a manned Mars mission that has possibly gone awry. Then have these individuals role play out scenarios and situations to try and determine what may have gone wrong with the actual mission.

The synopsis is mostly accurate but it doesn’t quite play out like that. Characters were all pretty good.

6.8/10

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
All the stuff I watched the last couple weeks.

Edit: Lowered a few of these ratings because I was way too generous the other day.

The Killing Joke - This was basically two episodes of Batman: The Animated Series put together, or at least that's how it felt. The first half was "Batgirl The Movie" and the second half was the actual Killing Joke story. Surprisingly dark and sexual for an animated movie. Batgirl was sexy, and good to see a redhead, though her being better at things than Batman was kind of nonsensical. Was pretty shocked when she threw off her clothes and banged him on a rooftop. Decent animated movie. 7/10.

Dungeons and Dragons (2000) - The one with Jeremy Irons. Wow this was bad. Good Lord. The two direct to video sequels are said to be better, but I think I'm ready to tap out after this one. The Wayans brother in this movie was absolutely insufferable and acted a lot like Jar Jar Binks, which is actually pretty fuckin racist. Apparently the producers of this movie had a chance to get James Cameron as the director, and some woman who was doing the interviews didn't like his personality or something and asked him what qualification he had to direct their movie. He laughed her off and left the meeting. If that's true, it means the makers of Dungeons and Dragons thought they didn't need the guy who made Terminator 2.

3/10.

Trainspotting - Weird, bizarre movie. Reminded me a bit of Clockwork Orange, only with drugs instead of alcohol. Cast was likeable enough and it kept my attention. Was pretty funny that the hot club girl the main character hooked up with turned out to be an underage high school student and he was terrified of her turning him in to the cops. Had fun with this. 7.5/10

JFK - Fantastic movie here, was impressed with how much it got into the weeds about American foreign policy and JFK conspiracy theories. Donald Sutherland's 15 minute exposition dump about the Deep State was something people in the modern era need to watch and jog their memory on, cause I feel like 25 years ago when the movie was out, this stuff was common fuckin' knowledge. 9/10

Sky - Another fantastic movie where Norman Reedus plays an Iraq War veteran suffering from Gulf War Syndrome from DU rounds. Movie is raw and real and another thing people in the modern era should see to remind them how shite the government actually is. 9/10.

Grown-Ups 2 - Kevin James kinda seems like a horse's ass, don't like him. Everyone else was cool. Basically these guys hanging around with their hot wives and talking about how old they are. 6.5/10

Demolition Man - Man, this sure had a lot of parallels with the modern world. Got a kick out of the rebel leader being like "I AM PRO FREE SPEECH" loud and proud while everyone got fined for using offensive language n' shit. Really good movie in some ways, way ahead of its time. 8.5/10

Black Panther 2 - Decent movie, way too long though. I'd give it 7/10. Felt like a DC movie because it was so dark and mopey. Namor (the bad guy) is easily the best thing in the movie, much like Kang in Ant-Man 3. Actually, given that Kang might be a bust, it's too bad Namor isn't the next Big Bad because he definitely felt wasted on just one movie. If he were in the Kang role that would have worked out pretty well.

As for this movie, I didn't get all miffed about the "colonizer" barbs and whatnot like a lot of people did. Only thing that really bothered me in the dialogue was the way the Brilliant 19 Year Old Scientist would constantly talk in slang like "We ain't ne'er gon' get outta here" while also randomly throwing out strings of huge scientific words and none of it really...matched? Same thing happened with Killmonger in the first movie, during the intro he's like this brilliant well-spoken historian, then the rest of the movie he's all "yo yo yo pop a cap muthafucka" type dialogue and it's incongruous within the same character. Speaking of Killmonger...the Ancestral Plane that they go to when they have the Purple Drank was basically the pocket plane from Baldur's Gate 2. And speaking of Riri the 19 year old genius, probably one of the most unappealing characters in the MCU overall. By the end of the movie I kinda wanted her and the main character to die off so the next one can just be Lupita, Michonne, and M'Baku.

The story was interesting and I liked the idea of there being kind of a second "shadow Wakanda" type nation that even Wakanda doesn't know about. Though again it was too long and felt like it would have worked a lot better as a D+ show with five episodes or something. Lupita Nyongo is particularly good in this and I think she's an underrated actress. She's also pretty hot. Probably the hottest thing about her is that she had the integrity to turn down The Woman King.

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Ghosted - Apple TV or Apple+ or whatever it is called is like the Hallmark channel of action movies. This thing was bland in almost every sense of the word. Not even going to argue if it was good or bad because it was pretty much neither. Wife thought it was cute. Ana de Armas puts on a performance that any local short film independent actress would be proud of. Chris Evans showed up in front of a camera. Overwhelmingly Mediocre / 10.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Ghosted - Apple TV or Apple+ or whatever it is called is like the Hallmark channel of action movies. This thing was bland in almost every sense of the word. Not even going to argue if it was good or bad because it was pretty much neither. Wife thought it was cute. Ana de Armas puts on a performance that any local short film independent actress would be proud of. Chris Evans showed up in front of a camera. Overwhelmingly Mediocre / 10.

I love me some Ana de Armas. Her, Johansson, and Daddario are pretty much alone on what I consider "goddess tier" actresses visually. Though Daddario has been brought down quite a bit by being in so many goofy romantic comedies.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I love me some Ana de Armas. Her, Johansson, and Daddario are pretty much alone on what I consider "goddess tier" actresses visually. Though Daddario has been brought down quite a bit by being in so many goofy romantic comedies.

Bro, if you're going to call someone goddess tier, at least give us some eye candy! The goddess in question

1683048524100.png

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

So when this started streaming the first thing I noticed (or anyone probably notices) is this:

1683899216467.png

It definitely lived up to it.

Cheap shots aside, it really wasn't THE WORST b-movie ever. Was pretty familiar with most of the cast through tv series or other b-movies. The whole thing was just pretty standard fare. If you're in to SciFi Friday stuff it may be worth a watch.

5/10

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Filipino scifi movie. Unfortunately not as cool as the box cover would make you believe, and not about Transformer knock offs. It is more like a Mech / Robot Jox / mutants / aliens thing. It's Filipino scifi so we'll just roll with it.

Compared to Colonials this is Oscar worthy. This was super corny, terrible special effects, I think most of the dubbing was done by one guy. Like a dude making an audiobook. Especially funny was the dubbing for the kids b/c it was so obviously a grown up. But I really didn't hate it. Was pretty fun background noise.

Probably a 6/10 except it had at least two H&K that I spotted. An MP7 and a G36. So that brings it up to a solid 8/10.

1683945633374.png
1683945650647.png

• 1Like