Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Watched 'The Raid 2' last night. 8 / 10

It was really good and the action and fight sequences were all top notch. Up there with the John Wick series, in some ways better as the actors are mostly martial arts experts first. The gore level was high.

A downside: Some of it felt weighty and slow, the workings of the crime gangs and meetings with the boss man, well done but maybe not needed. The first movie had very little of that and was just straight to the point, which was its strength. I'd give the first film a 10/10 BTW.

In thinking about it, this almost felt like it should not have been called a sequel. It was a different kind of film, maybe it should have been that, a new film by the same guys who did The Raid and it has some of the same actors. Then it would not be held in comparison to the first.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
On a whim I finally watched Troy with Brad Pitt. That movie sucked so much. Leaving out the Greek Gods is bad enough, but rewriting the basics of the story was just stupid. I can't even think of anything I liked about the movie.

spronk

FPS noob
White Boy Rick - 6/10. Bored so used my A-List to see it this afternoon and glad I did, was pretty interesting but kinda all over the place. Based on the true story of a 15 year old kid who was an informant for the FBI while buying and selling drugs in 1985 Detroit. First half was pretty good and mirrors the rise and fall of any good crime story, second half veered a bit and became a bit more melodramatic, sloppy, and disjointed. Still, a few surprises. I love 60-80s period pieces, this wasn't that immersive for whatever reason (costumes, music, everything just didn't feel "right"). Mostly the movie is about a kid with zero good role models and the outcomes, can be a bit heartbreaking as a dad to watch.

Don't necessarily have to watch in theaters but I think most middle age guys would appreciate the movie. Fantastic acting, especially from the main lead, Matthew McConaughey, and the sister who looked like she stepped straight off the set of a horror movie.

Last edited:

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
On a whim I finally watched Troy with Brad Pitt. That movie sucked so much. Leaving out the Greek Gods is bad enough, but rewriting the basics of the story was just stupid. I can't even think of anything I liked about the movie.

I really liked Eric Bana in this. I wanted him to kill Achilles so bad. Rest of the movie is forgettable.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

Troy had its issues, but I remember the movie for two (well, three) things: the kinda Beowulf aspect of characters wanting to leave historical marks that was very strongly reinforced by just a mundane shot of a greek beach (something happened here more than 3000 years ago and we still talk about it and make movies about it - where and if that something happened is up for debate though, but the theme is there), and the constant confrontation of History and history, the public and the private, the battlefield and the bedroom. For my money, removing the gods from the story makes these themes more potent. Also, Rose Byrne.

PS: Oh wait I also remember it for a completely botched scene. The Trojan are looking toward the beach from the walls of the city and they can hear but not see the greek army coming and we wait for the wide shot that should show us the army come over this dune... and that shot never comes! I suspect it was shot but did not work because it takes 20 sec for a guy running up the dune to go from invisible to fully visible or something, but because of that the whole scene is building up to a climax that is skipped. Super weird. And it's a key scene too!

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Monsters. 7/10

By Gareth Edwards the director who went on to make the Godzilla movie.

Very small budget, the director then did the special effects himself. Really an impressive achievement. But in reality there are some very dull sections where they are just travelling, car, train, walking or talking with locals, there's a mild level of "will these two hook up?", they travel some more, see a damaged building or abandoned tank here or there = yawn. I watched it over 2 nights, stopping 1/2 way through, and in truth I was unsure if I'd bother watching the second half. The second half picked up enough to regain my interest.

In understanding how it was made and the result that you see onscreen gives it a bunch of extra value in my eyes. But just don't go in expecting much action or . . . monsters.

• 1Like

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
on netflix now.

The Endless 9/10. Unsettling horror from the guys that made Resolution and spring. Much better then Resolution. Ill "spoil" it and say although its not billed as a sequel to Resolution, it 100% is. Resolution is not a good, and not really required viewing for it at all.

Delirium. 3/10. Thriller/horror.
well acted. well shot. just fucking GOD AWFUL script.
Just checks so many retarded thriller/horror movie badly written cliches.

main character has schizophrenia. so grats, you never know what is real or imagined. how original.
Main character is 35-40yr old Topher grace. gin blossoms teeshirt, listens to Lump. I mean its a plot point.
main character under house arrest with ankle bracelet due to schizophrenia and murdering a teen girl with brother.
1 day, after house arrest, 20-31 yr old super hot manic pixie dream girl delivers groceries. dresses likes a 20yr old 90s girl, in 2018. instantly is intrigued by 40yr old topher grace, with ankle bracelet, and a tee shirt, stumbling over his own words. Im not sure how old this girl is supposed to be. she dresses like shes 19-20. crys about high school boys being mean to her. her actress is 31, and again, shes crushing on a 40yr old man.
2 days after house arrest, she does a background check on him, finds out he murdered a girl, hence his ankle bracelet, and also, needs her to steal him anti-psychotics. She finds this very attractive.
is he seeing things?! nope. "dead, and/or in prison brother" escaped from prison somehow. also, no cops came to the house looking for escaped murderer brother. also, mother didn't leave when they were kids, shes been in a dungeon under the pool for 30 years, and the other "ghosts" he's been spooked by.

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
thumbnail.jpg

"The Shape of Water."

Because it was on Cable.

I used to LOVE Guillermo Del Toro's movies. He is a true filmmaker-- clearly loves the medium and his visual style is still almost unmatched (he and Wes Anderson; but they are very different stylistically).

No spoilers-- this was one of the big winners of last year's Oscars. As much as it is a visually stunning movie, it will leave you unfulfilled or just plain bothered. For many reasons, including plot points (big and small) that just make no sense whatsoever. There's a lot of female nudity by the lead Sally Hawkins. The acting is exceptional all around. And yes, there is plenty of social issues infused that are somewhat crow-barred into the plot (and that, I suspect, more than its technical prowess, made it appealing to the academy).

Overall, I would describe the experience of watching the entire film as similar to getting a box of handcrafted, magnificent, looking home-made chocolates and then biting into them to find them filled with chalk. Well, maybe not chalk-- perhaps cheap, crappy marshmallow or cherry filling? Ewww....

It is essentially a re-crafting of the Beauty and the Beast tale where the princess gets to bang the beast. Making it not so much as satisfying (that this plot completion could be!) but instead takes the viewer toward a much darker and more disturbing set of emotions. Is that good? I dunno... Not in this film's case.

Also, it's too damn long.

• 3Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Watched "The Kingdom" tonight. 8/10 Pretty damn good movie. Inspired fiction about FBI agents investigating bombings in Riyadh against some of the western compound housings. Acting was great, action was on point (pretty visceral).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Black 47

Revenge movie set during the potato famine. Irish soldier returns home from the First Anglo-Afghan war to find nothing but death and despair. Goes John Wick with a red beard. Weaving is great as always, and the visuals are nice. Recommended if you like period piece movies at all. Has lots of action but lacks impact as most lower budget action movies do.

• 2Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For A Few Dollars More

Preface - I’m binge watching western after western during my workouts/metro ride in preparation for Red Ded 2. I’m also an extreme Western movie fan. It perhaps is my favorite genre as I get older surpassing Sci-Fi.

For A Few Dollars More is another Sergio Leone masterpiece that often gets overlooked by the third in the no name series being Good, Bad, and The Ugly.

My bias is very clear. I am an huge Lee Van Cleef fan. He steals the show in this movie.

9.75/10

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wish upon.
Reviews for are really bad. I actually, kindof loved it.
8/10.

Plenty of horror movies with monkey's paws/wishes gone bad. This takes it a bit differently. For the most part the wishes come out fine. It instead takes the route of that twilight zone episode with pressing the button, where you get a million dollars(orwhatever it was), and someone dies. And it plays out Final Destination style with overly elaborate silly deaths, and fakeouts. Although the deaths are not nearly as imaginative, or graphic as Final destination. (one wish is poorly worded, and does have bad results, and amusingly, they never make it clear if she even realizes her poor choice of words caused it)
Then, the main character is very selfish, and juvenile, and expressly called out on it. Like the Craft, but instead of being a super nice, good witch, shes was also a selfish brat.
And then, when faced with consequences of her wishes, she panics, and goes full junkie, refusing to give up the power.

most of the reviews seem to complain that its not scary. which, Im not sure its supposed to be. This feels like its more in line with The craft, as mentioned, then contemporary jumpscare horror.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Watched Bullitt. Old cop drama from the 60s. Pretty fun to watch just to see the camera work of the time, a long ass car chase with some classic cars and just the way they portray bystanders’ reactions to shootings. Movies these days there’s action in public and the bystanders are an afterthought, where here you heard individual reactions from the crowd wondering who this random guy was that got shot, you see fellow officers and a priest holding a small vigil over an airport security guard instead of him just being shot and forgotten about. The car chase was a blast to watch and apparently The OG Mustang hero car used in the filming only showed up again this year after people lost track of it. I hadn’t heard of the film before but apparently it was pretty famous. 7/10 from me.

• 2Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Watched Resolution and Spring in preparation for The Endless.

Resolution: 7/10, it was a slow-burn but well-paced creepy movie from start to finish. It shows how you can make a great horror movie without a huge budget.

Spring: 5/10, I loved the concept of the movie and I'm a huge body horror fan since my teens because of The Thing with Kurt Russell but it never really delivered anything of worth. It had a really nice premise and I liked the idea of casually dealing with the body horror aspects but ultimately was let down by the eventual revelation and subsequent ending.

Really looking forward to The Endless as I've heard it is Lovecraftian and that is my absolute favorite type of horror. I used to watch a lot of horror movies a decade ago, but these days I'm a giant pussy and have no desire to watch jump scares or just weird/disgusting images on screen. I want it to be deeply unsettling or cosmically infinite type of horror. The stuff that makes you think and once you start thinking, it starts scaring you more.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Watched The Endless today.

Very solid 8/10. I really wanted to give it more but I also really wanted to like it better than I did. Don't get me wrong, it is fantastic, but it is a sci-fi movie and not the Lovecraftian horro masterpiece I was hoping it to be. Resolution was actually a much creepier movie than The Endless turned out to be. I know some people like a lot of mystery in their movies, but I particularly liked how it filled in a lot of unexplained holes from Resolution without being overboard about it.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
finally watch odd thomas

was good but such a weird style, all speech and conversation were caricatures of perfect communication love and emotion. Reminded me a lot of older plays or real old timey movie dialogue. Was trippy and kept throwing me off.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Halloween 4k UHD remastered 1978

9.5/10

The score and outside Cinematography are junior Hitchcock-esque.
500k to make with a 70 million box office pull? Enough said.

Unbelievable in 4k. The score is king.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

LiquidDeath

Turbo Kid (2015)

5/10

I wanted to like it more, and it had some great parts, but it was just too over the top. If they had gone way overboard only a few times I would get it, but they do it every single time. Apple was fantastic, though.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I loved Turbo Kid but I am a huge 80s nerd and it really scratched that itch. If you aren't looking for some 80s style nostalgia it's probably not your cup of tea but I give it a 8.5/10.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like