Ready Player One (2018)

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought the book was ok. I'll probably go see the movie, but my expectations are pretty low.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The only person I knew who read the book described it as "ok" but the trailer makes it look like they really made something cool.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just got back, decent adventure flick that i definitely appreciated seeing. I didn't read the novel but i did read the wiki about the novel so i noticed a few differences but still similar overall.

Only things I would nitpick are 1) the movie started out with broad "this is the Oasis!" (kind of how we expect Wreck It Ralph 2's "this is the internet!" would go) but then the focus narrowed significantly rather than blowing a huge CGI budget on the virtual universe until the final parts and 2) they kind of glossed over the whole real world consequences trigger moment with the character's reactions, probably to keep it within the realm of PG-13.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
50 out of 10. Best adventure I have had in a long time. Will see again (thanks Moviepass). A++++.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Memes: The Movie

7.5/10 for me, it was fantastic seeing just an absolute deluge of video game stuff on screen and it was neat briefly picking out all the stuff I recognized, there were quite a few deep dives but they all just flashed momentarily. You definitely feel the spielberg hand in everything which is fine. The story is pretty basic and not really great and will probably be a bit annoying on repeat viewings, but its sorta aimed at 10-12 year old kids so what can you really expect.

I saw it on a Dolby ATMOS screen and it was just visually gorgeous, great ambient sound and some soundtracks - the nightclub scene was great i thought. There are definitely a few absolutely stunning scenes like the car race, nightclub, and of course final battle. A few scenes that just dragged on too long. Would be curious to hear how it was in IMAX 3D, I'll probably see it a second time in that format next week.

The end definitely dragged on in Lord of the Rings style, just constantly going "... and this is the ending" "... no wait this is the ending..." "... no wait..."

No post credit scene.

I loved it for the video game references, but they were a bit shallow and some people I think are going to hate how boxed in that subject is treated. To be fair though it sets up in the beginning that only a few people are still chasing the easter egg, presumably most people in the Oasis play Call of Duty 833 and other 2045 VR games, only the eggsters limit their knowledge to a small window of video gaming history.

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
ok. so this was a great CGI adventure with a shit ton of awesome characters if you spotted them out. the plot was meh, the love story was meh but the quest to get it done was AWESOME, the irl parts meh. But I enjoyed this movie solid 7/10

I would love to play in the Oasis just b/c the dev's allowed some truly OP weapons in the game. however, those respawn rates need to be longer for kills.

the rampaging chucky was pretty fucking awesome. the shinning part was dead on! I thoroughly enjoyed it. The final battle was gamer overload. TJ Miller as a buy guy was meh

Last edited:

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
7/10, fun flick. Don't go in expecting a masterpiece story, but the nostalgia is there, great feel to some of the scenes. Enjoyed it and the stroll down memory lane.

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
oh yeah so I watched this movie in Imax 3d, they showed Avengers Imax 3d trailer watching that trailer I just wanted to throw my money at the screen.

spronk

FPS noob
I saw another post summed it up well, a 9/10 first time experience for a video game nerd in a 6/10 movie

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Saw it this afternoon with the wife who read the book all I knew about it going in was the horrible Wil Wheaton audiobook we listen to well we were on the way to Texas when we moved here. Not knowing the story I put it as one of Spielberg's worst movies. He should just resurrect Kubriaks cock and suck it on screen for 2 hours rather than keep making movies to show he wants to suck his dick so bad. They dumped almost all the 80s nostalgia and for a movie that criticized ads on the internet it had so much product placement for newer video game companies that I couldn't help but laugh out loud. And the edits they made the story basically to conform it to 2 hours and PG-13 cut out most of what made the book work. It's barely more relevant to its source material than I iRobot was. Anyone who thought that Spielberg still has something in the tank obviously forgot what they saw in Crystal Skull. I see this movie is a general continuation of that with a guy who wrote the book sucking Spielberg's dick and Spielberg sucking Stanley dick and everyone getting high on their own egos without paying attention to what made the book interesting.

If you didn't read the book and like CGI epic fights you'll probably dig the movie. If you read the book prepared of Rage. Your opinion is going to be based entirely on how into the 80s more and the dark tone of the book you were. Also with TJ Miller being himself pisses you off you can knock another point off of this movie though I'm kind of indifferent to him even though he was added whole cloth to the movie.

• 2Picard
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
saw it, liked it. kids liked it, wife thought it was better than she thought it would be.

i can see WHY they changed parts.

first key, watching him play joust vs a lich in the D&D tomb of horrors module - bet whomever owns tsr's movie rights did not give permission to use it. race was decent but honestly, i probably would have liked the joust scene more.

2nd key. him being marty mcfly = again movie rights probably- maybe 5 minutes woulda been cool, but again probably not good theatre-- and i am sorry, i LOVED substituting in the shining- -and it came out in 1980 so it fit in with the 80's nostoligia theme of the book.

this movie might be a slow burn sort of like how jumanji was... but probably not as much of hit as jumanji was.

movie theatre i went to, was EMPTY... including the 4 of us. maybe 30 people in a 200 seat theatre.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
On further reflection, I like it less than I did when I walked out. I went in looking forward to some 80s noir and future dystopian world, but left with the same kind of disappointment I had after I left The Last Jedi. If I had to point to two things, I would say the inept world building and the ending were my chief complaints (ignoring the book existing). The stacks are supposed to be an overcrowded pile of RVs where people live in desperation for energy and shank each other over government food stamps, but in the first five minutes we see a bunch of people getting drone delivered Doritos and Pizza Hut, plus the park looks a lot like a trailer park redneck passion project meets Willy Wonka. And the ending, Jesus Christ it made zero sense and was ripped straight out of Willy Wonka. And for the final touch, Spielberg tossed in a teaser that calls back to his work finishing AI at the end (wont spoil it, its super obvious) that had me thinking "Just dig up the dudes corpse and fuck it already, Steve." Really, the lack of significant Wizard of Oz style contrast between the Oasis and the real world is probably the biggest flaw in the movie.

On the topic of changing things from the book: Lip syncing Wargames would have been hilarious on screen, but instead we got another gay love letter to Kubrick in its place by subbing in the Shining. Dumping the D&D shit at the beginning also glossed over the entire background of the Halliday, Kira, and Og relationship and the fact that the first key was actually placed someplace poor kids could access it. And if we are trimming the fat, then why the fuck did they add TJ Miller and google eyes security chief diversity hire to the movie? Why the rewrite of the ending where three keys were needed with three people (symbolic callback to the Halliday, Kira, and Og trio) and we got a Street Fighter showdown in place of the hordes of people trying to beat the last game challenge simultaneously? How about the complete rewrite of the aunt into something sympathetic and no sign of Rush World?

I actually have a pretty good idea of what happened here, at least with some of the changes. Spielberg has good will with the Kubrick people, so getting access to his movie to publicly suck his dick on screen was probably easily done. The other things they kept were generally easy to get rights for (or he had them outright, like the Back to the Future shit). The CGI was deliberately retro (did not have to look realistic) and there were basically four physical sets all in the burbs of Toronto from the looks of it. Then there is the wall to wall product plugs in the movie. This movie was made as cheaply as they could, for whatever reason, which is probably why the only recognizable actors in it were Pegg and Generic New British White Villian guy. Somewhere along the line, this movie must have had some serious budget limitations placed on it or else there is zero excuse for the changes beyond Spielberg fucking it up to put his own mark on the material (or blow Kubrick's dead dick). That used to be an area where he made good changes (see Jaws and Schindler's List), but the dude has lost his touch and his edge. I think I am more disappointed in this movie than I was with Crystal Skull.

But....It IS a well polished turd. Pacing was really decent, as the movie did not feel as long as its run time suggests. Aside from the completely WTF Willie Wonka ending, the scenes blended together smoothly and there was not any absurdly out of place acting in the movie (except TJ Miller being himself). The final battle is a good spectacle. None of the characters are outright annoying or a cartoony caricatures. The special effects sequences play well into the story. I would compare this movie to Avatar; a movie a lot of people will praise but never watch again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
PS- I actually like Stanley Kubrick and his works a great deal, but watching Spielberg try to ape him on screen lately irritates me for reasons I cannot entirely grasp.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
All I got from your ramblings was how much you fantasize about Spielberg sucking a cock.

• 4Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I enjoyed the shit out of it.

Sure it was not a great movie. But it was entertaining as hell.