Ready Player One (2018)

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just got back from it. In ways I thought it was better than the book. Mainly in pacing (I really hated the stretch between the first and second keys in the book), and I kind of liked how the 5 main guys were teamed up better.

However the key challenges themselves were terrible. I went in expecting things to be abreviated, sure, but they were just flat gutted and lacked any imagination. The D&D module hidden in the freebie school world made taking years to find it make much more sense. Hitting reverse to start a race? Yeah fuck no.

And the Kubrack dick sucking was real and fuck you Speilberg. My 8 year old daughter was not real keen on your Shining throwback which wasn't even a thought in the book, so I had no idea.

The ending was cool but not as cool as the final sequence in the book, so it fell kind of flat for me. Overall just like the book, it was a fun ride for its own reasons, but still flawed. 7/10

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
The first key made sense for the movie but I sorta have to fill in my head that its level 99 of car racing, each level is hard, you have to start at level 1 every time so it takes a few days to get to level 99. Otherwise yeah, some level 1 noob woulda figured it out within 3 days of release as they try out various things every day like a QA tester.

I really liked the second key stuff, obv shortened again but I really like that they DIDN'T try to cgi in the main character ala star wars and it also felt very much like a tribute to the Disney Haunted Ride with the ballroom. Coulda gone on longer and cut some shit from other scenes though, especially a lot of the IRL corporate stuff felt boring and shitty.

The action scenes in the third key were amazing and the highlight of the movie, except for the background being so boring (its like the CGI budget didn't have any money for background lol). In fact really after the first intro to Oasis and its colorful planets we never really get a good Oasis-as-an-awesome-place. The whole shtick of the 3d key was lame as fuck though, I appreciate their attempt to nostalgia video games but any kid growing up playing atari 2600 would have known what the trick was, that was WAY too easy. But anyone who didn't grow up with a 2600, probably like 95% of the audience, would have thought it was touching and interesting I guess.

• 1Like

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
7.5/10. Hadn't read the book in a while so I only remembered the gist of it. It was a fun, entertaining movie. Favorite part was the Shining key I think, it was really f'ing cool. Unfortunately every kid out there who sees this movie will have never seen the Shining (and even probably a good portion of the adults that see this), so exactly how cool this part was will be lost on many. Some of the translation from Oasis to real world didn't make sense (people running around on the streets playing? the IoI grunts standing next to each other IRL all falling at the same time as if they were standing next to each other in the Oasis?), but eh whatever.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I absolutely loved this book.

I absolutely loved this movie.

The two are not the same. Every single time you go to a movie adaptation of a book and expect to see exactly the book, you'll be disappointed. Every. Damned. Time. I thought they did a fine adaptation of the book for this movie. The pacing was good, the story was compelling enough to keep us all interested, even those who didn't read the book. It was fun, and I look forward to watching it again several more times to see all of the references that I didn't catch the first time through. I am told the 3D version is outstanding, so I have to check that out.

I, too, was disappointed there was no "Easter egg" clip at the end of the credits.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Just got done watching. Really enjoyed , good mix of old and new references for the nerds.

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I absolutely loved this book.

I absolutely loved this movie.

The two are not the same. Every single time you go to a movie adaptation of a book and expect to see exactly the book, you'll be disappointed. Every. Damned. Time. I thought they did a fine adaptation of the book for this movie. The pacing was good, the story was compelling enough to keep us all interested, even those who didn't read the book. It was fun, and I look forward to watching it again several more times to see all of the references that I didn't catch the first time through. I am told the 3D version is outstanding, so I have to check that out.

I, too, was disappointed there was no "Easter egg" clip at the end of the credits.

Yeah I wasn't expecting them to be the same at all. My only disappointments were things they could have done better. I didn't want them nor expected them to copy the book exactly. I just wished they used their imaginations more for the challenges to overcome for nearly a trillion buck prize.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I saw this last night, and it was great (in my opinion). I saw so many old references that caught my eye. The girl wearing a Goro from Mortal Kombat costume was pretty sweet. I saw Spawn briefly. And holy shit, that mad ball! I remember seeing those commercials all the time when I was younger.

MadBalls_R3.jpg

This was a very fun movie. I'm absolutely going to buy it on Blu-Ray when it comes out. I wish the Gundam were a little stronger against Mecha Godzilla, though.

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought it was very good 7.5/10, maybe closer to an 8. Yes the story isn't top notch but you don't go see a movie like this for the story. I had read the book too and I was kind of hoping they would of kept the Joust part in there but oh well. I thought the Shining part was very good. My 11 year old daughter didn't like that part as much but she's not into scary stuff. If you grew up a) with video games and b) in the 80's, I don't see how you don't enjoy the movie.

• 1Solidarity

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
I really enjoyed this film. Haven't read the book so I can't comment on that. I'd give it a solid 8/10.

Weirdest reference had to be the charm of making from Excalibur being used to activate/deactivate the orb.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
As someone who did grow up in the 80's (HS class of 87 here...) this movie was great for me. I have not yet read the book and it seems like I chose the wiser path here. The charming Mrs Haus has read the book and liked the movie but was let down by some of the changes. Of course she also commented on how they couldn't have been faithful to the book without making it 2 or 2 and a half movies long. Favorite visual callout? Battle Toads.

Now I get to go read the book and enjoy that.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
The movie was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I liked how the keys played more into who Halladay was as a person, instead of 'member this thing from the 80's.

I also liked how Parzival was wearing a Han Solo holster, and the temptation of the Millenium Falcon got to him for a second.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Really, really fun. All the 80s and nerd references were awesome but it was also just a fun movie apart from those references and visuals.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
On the topic of changing things from the book: Lip syncing Wargames would have been hilarious on screen, but instead we got another gay love letter to Kubrick in its place by subbing in the Shining.
You've almost guessed correctly. The whole synching thing (which occurs TWICE in the book) is something that sounds cool on paper, and absolutely stupid and horrible on screen. So, how do you preserve the idea of having to run thru a movie as one of the trials? Well, you put them in a movie. And you need a movie with lots of danger. Which means an horror movie. So, in the end, yes, since he likes The Shining, you get the Shining. The alternative would be some random slasher movie from the 80s...
And if we are trimming the fat, then why the fuck did they add TJ Miller and google eyes security chief diversity hire to the movie?
Because they're both in the book, but with smaller/slightly different roles. i-R0k is a wannabee gunter punk, but he is the one who leads IOI to Wade's identity. He's just a badass bounty hunter that figures who Wade is instead of a stupid high school punk blackmailer, but hey, it's the Oasis, and you can be anyone else. The chief security has a 1 paragraph role, when she arrests Wade (Samantha in the movie) to slam him in the Fidelity Center from where he (she, now) can drop the Orb of Osuthing shield from the inside. So they get blown up as bigger goons for the bad guy, since said bad guy had absolutely zero lieutenants in the book... and you can't have the megalomaniac bad guy without a bunch of lieutenants.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I really enjoyed this film. Haven't read the book so I can't comment on that. I'd give it a solid 8/10.

Weirdest reference had to be the charm of making from Excalibur being used to activate/deactivate the orb.
Yea. The thing is, it immediately felt absolutely and totally familiar, but I couldn't place it. Once I saw "from Excalibur", I could even picture the main scenes with Merlin again...

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Usually not a fan of 3D, but half way in I realized this one probably should have gone that route.

Enjoyed it. Like previously said I think it'd be hard for you to not like this movie if you come to this site.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Was going to see it in 3D, but friend checked and it's the usual computer conversion to 3D (maybe except for the all-CGI sequences which might have been rendered in 3D. Maybe). So we noped.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I noticed the girl was using an Aliens pulse rifle during the disco scene and Wade was using a legacy Battlestar Galactica blaster during the final fight. Was the evil looking skull sniper rifle that Irokk was using from a newer console game?