Red Dead Redemption 2

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider

I guess Xbox X is the winner this time. How on Earth am I supposed to be able to wait for the PC version :/

TL;DR
Xbox One X native 4k, best performance > PS4 Pro, not native 4k > Xbox One/PS4 not so great

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Xboner (origninal or S) is 864p... what an idiotic resolution. I know they are trying to get it as high as possible, but that's a 2.5x downsample from native 4k requiring all sorts of interpolation on even the best display around.

Will be playing it on PS4 vanilla which I suppose makes me one of the commoners at this point.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

I guess Xbox X is the winner this time. How on Earth am I supposed to be able to wait for the PC version :/

TL;DR
Xbox One X native 4k, best performance > PS4 Pro, not native 4k > Xbox One/PS4 not so great
Fuck it. I'm picking up the 1X version digital. Will maybe keep the PS4 one for multiplayer.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Junun

Silver Knight of the Realm
Going away with the girlfriend this weekend, will barely get to play! :( Least I took monday off to play all day!

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
This looks amazing, at this point my only real concern is about the need to drink, eat, bathe, shave, clean weapons, groom the horse etc. and how much of a chores will these activities be, or not be.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
97 metascore with 72 reviews at Opencritic. 2018 GOTY.

absolutely insane. I was just curious and here are the top 10 PS4 games of all time with their current ratings

97 - GTA5
95 - TLOU
94 - God of War
94 - XCom 2 (????)
93 - Persona 5
93 - MGS 5
93 - Uncharted 4
92 - Journey
92 - Bloodborne
92 - Undertale
92 - Witcher 3
92 - Divinity II DE
91 - Shadow Colossus

I'm not sure Undertale, MGS 5, or Shadow of the Colossus belong on that 90+ list and I'm kinda shocked Spider-Man is only at a 87 but pretty amazing if RDR 2 floats to the top.

I'll be playing all day friday but gotta do family shit saturday :( I wonder when they are gonna release info about RDR Online, still nothing other than "sometime in November".

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

TL;DR

Well fuck now I kinda wish I had just got the X....

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Can't really see the difference between the pro and one.

Around 13:04 the fog on xbox seems really excessive. Guess I'll turn dynamic weather off.

spronk

FPS noob
people are streaming this on twitch/youtube now, i assume from physical copies so just be aware if you wanna avoid spoilers

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is there a tweet or post somewhere about pickup at 9pm for Best Buy? Can just imagine the pimple faced goth telling me to get fucked tonight when I go in.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/franch.../pcmcat1533312559846.c?id=pcmcat1533312559846
Walk out with Red Dead Redemption 2
at closing time the night before release date.
Be one of the first to take home this game for PS4 or Xbox One.

Go to any Best Buy store at 9 p.m. on Thursday, October 25 and grab your copy of this sequel.
Store events are subject to change without notice.

get there by 830-845pm (they close at 9pm) and they should make you get in a line at the web order pickup area

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to visit my LGS tomorrow so they can tell me its sold out, after which I'll buy it online.

Anytime something new releases its sold out.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm working out of town until late Fri night, and again early next week. I planned this shit poorly!

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So in preparation for tonight did some tinkering on HDR and my existing PS4 and why I never thought it was working.

Turns out on the Yamaha receiver i had to go in to advanced setup (straight button + power) and change from 4k Mode 2 to 4k Mode 1. Then in the TV (Samsung 65KS8000) had to enable HDR color output on HDMI-4. Went back in the PS4 and now says HDR enabled.

Why this is not automatic is beyond me, but it appears to be happy now. The TV does a piss poor job of notifying you though. I don't think any of the built in apps pop up an HDR banner and you can only check by verifying your settings (light, contrast, etc) have been automatically kicked up.

*Edit: I take that back, the Amazon Video app does notify you. But PS4 and Netflix or YouTube do not.

This turned in to a TV / Receiver blog post and not RDR, heh.

• 1Like

Diemess

Silver Knight of the Realm
Digital copy playable in 9 more hrs! I haven't been this excited for a game in a longgggg time.

I'm also glad they didn't release RDR:Online at day 1 of release. I can enjoy the story without having the thought of "i'm missing out not playing online" feeling.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So in preparation for tonight did some tinkering on HDR and my existing PS4 and why I never thought it was working.

Turns out on the Yamaha receiver i had to go in to advanced setup (straight button + power) and change from 4k Mode 2 to 4k Mode 1. Then in the TV (Samsung 65KS8000) had to enable HDR color output on HDMI-4. Went back in the PS4 and now says HDR enabled.

Why this is not automatic is beyond me, but it appears to be happy now. The TV does a piss poor job of notifying you though. I don't think any of the built in apps pop up an HDR banner and you can only check by verifying your settings (light, contrast, etc) have been automatically kicked up.

*Edit: I take that back, the Amazon Video app does notify you. But PS4 and Netflix or YouTube do not.

This turned in to a TV / Receiver blog post and not RDR, heh.
Yeah, I have to fuck around with my receiver/tv constantly to get them to both jive with HDR. It's annoying as fuck.