Red Dead Redemption 2

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
This feel more like a style choice though. Slower time to ramp up player movement gives the sense of mass and realism. Killzone 2 also did that, but to the nth degree.
You might not like it as a choice, but I'm sure it was deliberate
Wrong. Killzone was an input lag mess. It had nothing to do with “realism” and “mass”. Firearms don’t weight enough for that nonsense.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Did you play as a nice guy?

If so, how did you like the final ride to camp as Arthur after you send Sadie and Elizabeth away, with the voice-over from people who you were nice to telling you how good you were, that there's still good people in the world etc...

You're dying from tuberculosis at that point, and it's pretty evident that you won't make it...but fuck did that final ride hit me hard, I honestly teared up a little. And that moment you send John away.

All the excellent writing throughout the entire game came to fruition at that point.

Exactly how I felt. Was awesome. :)

Jive Turkey

Karen
Wrong. Killzone was an input lag mess. It had nothing to do with “realism” and “mass”. Firearms don’t weight enough for that nonsense.

It was on purpose. They talked about it before release. The only way to simulate some sort of mass in video games is to add a bit of input lag. Even on games with snappy input, they'll sometime include lag when you're meant to be pushing something heavy. It's also why games like metal gear solid feel so arcade-y. They're too snappy and your character feels weightless

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
None of the other Killzones had that. That was pure PR nonsense to cover up for their engine being unable to cope with the graphics demands.

If you've never held a firearm before, go do so before believing that line of bullshit. Even a 15lb bolt action doesn't handle like that.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
None of the other Killzones had that. That was pure PR nonsense to cover up for their engine being unable to cope with the graphics demands.

If you've never held a firearm before, go do so before believing that line of bullshit. Even a 15lb bolt action doesn't handle like that.

It wasn't about the guns being heavy. It was also the amount of gear the character was carrying.
Anyway, don't really care. Believe what you like

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Welp, I just bought the PS4 Pro and RDR2 bundle today. Last time I bought a console was an Xbox 360 for RDR1.

I'm going to be so shit at controls.

I mean, the controls makes everyone kinda shitty at this game. So don't fret!

Great game though.

By the way, how do you tell what "honor" level you are? I just hit down on the d-pad and I'm always just slighty to the right of center. I'm about to just start beating the shit out of every pedestrian I see. Too hard to be good in this game, that time period was just not made for being "good".

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Time traveler and UFO in game.... does not seem like main story spoiler so not spoiler tagging it, but it deals with finding the rock formations. Pretty interesting stuff.

• 2Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Enjoying this more now that I’ve gotten used to the controls. I still think it’s a little punitive when things go sideways. I still think cores were a dumb idea and I still think they could have shortcutted a few things like crafting. Hitting X 300 times for a split point bullet is dumb.

I’m just about finished with chapter 3 and I’m having more fun with it now that I’ve figured it out a little better. I also got raped by a hillbilly.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I got a little misty when you watch your horse die, especially, as that was my horse from the first hour of the game. 70 hours with the dude.... I preferred playing as Arthur, put enjoyed the epilogue chapters as they gave a great foundation for the original. The post credits scenes went a long way to filling in the gaps as well and were really well done.

Finished this a week or so ago and I'm still thinking about it. I have no real desire to go back and finish the hunts, fishing, etc.... but I will remember forever this game as one of, if not THE richest gaming experiences I've ever had. There are some things to improve on, no question, but the overall experience is about as good as I can remember. The story was much better than I expected it to be, and a lot of the tedious stuff (though not all of it) is forgiven in my mind the instant you get to the first of many impactful plot points.

Many on here say they can only stomach this for short bursts, but for me it was the exact opposite. When the game really came together, and forced me to say "ahhh I get it", are the sessions when I'd binge for 5+ hours at a time, spending time in the world, with the camp denizens, with my horse, listening to the music etc. I lost a lot of that playing scattershot. For me, this is easily a 10/10 (if any game can ever truly be perfect) and my game of the generation.

I loved The Witcher 3, I loved God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, etc but none felt as engrossing to me and left me with a feeling quite like this (even though actually playing them, in a lot of cases was more fun - GOW for example I still jump into every once in a while because of how satisfying it is to play). In fact, the only other game I can think of where I came close to this feeling is TLOU - a game that was also as much a simulation as it was a "game" in some respects. I don't think I want every game to go that direction, as eventually it would absolutely burn you out, but every now and then it's a real treat and bodes well for the future of gaming.

After the debacle of Blizzcon, it would be easy to think everyone is out for a quick easy $. It was depressing seeing not only their complete disregard (maybe even contempt) for their biggest fans, and it made me a little jaded. Some of my favorite games ever are Blizzard games. After just completing this game however, it's obvious there are still developers out there who give a shit. They give a shit about $ too, but they also give a shit about making exceptional experiences. CDPR, Rockstar, From, and quite a few others give a shit.... Knowing that extremely talented, passionate people still work on games makes me really excited for the future of this industry. In 2018 there are more turds than not, but some of the great games that have come out recently belong on the Mount Olympus of gaming and it's a really exciting time to be a gamer. Bring on Shadows Die Twice & Cyberpunk. TLOU2, etc and let the Blizzards of the world work on their polished MTG bullshit

• 2Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
Anyone noticing the game gets a bit glitchy as your progress through it? I had to save the artist dude from being beaten up by a guy whose wife he fucked. I pointed my gun at him, then it went straight into a cut scene of Arthur saying "I don't know why I did that", but the man was still standing there frozen, then he disappeared. I didn't actually get to do anything for that mini mission.
After another mission last night, it cut to me standing by my horse as the entire environment slowly rendered from blurry mess to full render over 8 or 9 seconds, then went directly into another cut scene.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yeah, happened to me when I robbed the Doctor's office in Valentine. I don't think it gets "more" glitchy, just I'm sure there are certain situations that were tested where it goes a bit haywire. From a QA standpoint I think it would be almost impossible to completely test every single possibility of when you do something, what you had done before that, what time of day and weather, etc. etc.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Has there been any patch or talk of one at all? While I picked this up on launch I've yet to actually play it, and tempted to go through some of the other games first just to see what things might change.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
There's a bug where some characters go missing for a chapter that Rockstar said they would fix. Outside of that, no details. I don't think waiting for a patch is necessary, though.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Welp, I just bought the PS4 Pro and RDR2 bundle today. Last time I bought a console was an Xbox 360 for RDR1.

I'm going to be so shit at controls.

Update. PS4 was here I got home from work. Flash forward 30mins, girlfriend isn't talking to me after we fought about what tv I would play it on.

Installing now on the tv I stole from our bedroom and moved to my "man room." Can't help but feel this might be a Pyrrhic Victory, but at least I'm not going to be bothered tonight.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users