Relocating to Orlando Florida

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
"Gender is Not Binary" t shirt wearing fucks

Plenty of those fucks around UCF, and tons more in Jacksonville. I personally hate Florida, I've lived here like 20 years. I've been in Jacksonville, Daytona, Orlando, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, and to me Florida is Florida, the same all over. Maybe the Keys are different, a better vibe maybe? Mostly it's snowbirds or tourists clogging up the roads, not knowing where the hell they are going.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Plenty of those fucks around UCF, and tons more in Jacksonville. I personally hate Florida, I've lived here like 20 years. I've been in Jacksonville, Daytona, Orlando, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, and to me Florida is Florida, the same all over. Maybe the Keys are different, a better vibe maybe? Mostly it's snowbirds or tourists clogging up the roads, not knowing where the hell they are going.

No Space Coast? No Panhandle? No Gulfside (Naples/etc)? I'd agree with disliking most of those you listed - but the others are nice. (Orlando has some appeal - but depends on the section - Cloak & Blaster being a huge part of it's appeal)

Last edited:

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It is looking like work is going to relocate me to Orlando Florida in a couple months. I have never been to Florida or Orlando. Any advice on what area's to avoid and things to do or great places to eat would be appreciated.

You going to be Mickey or Donald?!?!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Orlando is alright(I'm not familiar enough to know where the "bad" parts are), but very touristy as you can imagine. I'm a few hours south in Ft. Lauderdale and have always enjoyed it here. The keys are awesome to visit, but I'm not sure if I could live there(unless I was rich and had a bad-ass boat).

Y'all let me know when we're doing that Harry Potter meet-up in Orlando. I'll bring my wand.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

I live here.

I'm so happy with Merritt Island, but I'm quite curious to learn how the Keys compare eventually.

Course all the aerospace stuff would be an instant loss. (And indirect stuff like plenty of techies etc out here)

Juvarisx

Florida
Best theater is the one near Disney. It has a real IMAX screen (over 100 ft.) and is not liemax.
i4 at night is crazy dangerous I don't suggest it unless you have to.
its a 1 hr drive to Canaveral, so its possible to go see launches fairly easily (plus the entire Canaveral experience is great)

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Lived in Orlando for about 2 years in the military '94-'96, I imagine some things have changed in that time but here's what I remember about the area:

Good:
It's central Florida, you're only an hour from some awesome beaches: Daytona, Cocoa, New Smyrna and Canaveral.
Tons of theme parks (Disney duh), water parks, attractions in Orlando/Kissimmee.
Busch Gardens is only 2 hours away in Tampa.
Also close to the Gulf Coast beaches but a little further than the Atlantic side. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale is only a 5 hour drive.
Savannah, GA is only 4 hours.
Bahamas are an hour by plane.
Someone already mentioned the Keys which are pretty unique-ish.
Lots of direct international flights too.
Tourists means lots of night life. I saw some of the best shows of my life in small clubs in Orlando (Radiohead, Tool, Beastie Boys, Rage Against the Machine, NIN, Cypress Hill).
Winter Park for neighborhood.
Hurricanes can cause some bad weather but you're too far inland to take a major hit.
Awesome lightning shows (also bad).
SEC Football and ACC Basketball. Florida and FSU respectively.
The weather. Humidity is nowhere near as bad as the coasts. You're living in Houston, so you'll be fine. It gets coldish in the winter but it's mild. You will get rain that is like clockwork during the summer but it's not bad.
Lots of board game geeks and Cons if that's your thing.

Bad:
Tourists. Just stay away from tourist areas. Hit the parks on weekdays if you can. Avoid International Drive like the plague.
Stay away from Orange Blossom Trail unless you're looking for crack or a prostitute.
Traffic. Roads were small, tons of small bodies of water, hard to get across town. Toll roads are better.
I never bought a home anywhere but I remember being told that it's tough because there are really desirable areas but they butt up against some of the worst parts of the cities.
Stay out of Pine Hills (affectionately know to locals as Crime Hills). Best buddy was raised there, and he said it was a for reals bad area. Ironically, it's right next to Winter Park I mentioned above.
You will get struck by lightning (#4 city in the US for strikes, #1,2,3, and 5 also in Florida).
Your dog will get eaten by an alligator. Stay out of the water. Keep your dogs and your kids away from the water. Every night you will see a story about a dog that got eaten on the news.

Like I said, been forever since I was there, but that's what I remember.

Good luck, hope it's a good experience for you.

Last edited:

Vaclav

Synj: Humidity in Central is absolutely worse that the coasts from a realistic standpoint. Barometrically or whatever it might TECHNICALLY be as humid or higher, but the constant breeze mitigates the humidity drastically. Today was the first day of the entire year that felt hot to me over here in Merritt Island - and that's because it was an oddly still day, we almost always have a 7-10 mph breeze going. (Although nice bonus when the wind is low is that it keeps the canal water still enough to make it clear enough to see to the bottom)

I would NEVER trade Brevard's weather for Orange County's. It's literally heaven 95% of the year, and that other 5% can be mitigated with A/C easily enough, just limits doing outdoor activities.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Synj: Humidity in Central is absolutely worse that the coasts from a realistic standpoint. Barometrically or whatever it might TECHNICALLY be as humid or higher, but the constant breeze mitigates the humidity drastically. Today was the first day of the entire year that felt hot to me over here in Merritt Island - and that's because it was an oddly still day, we almost always have a 7-10 mph breeze going. (Although nice bonus when the wind is low is that it keeps the canal water still enough to make it clear enough to see to the bottom)

I would NEVER trade Brevard's weather for Orange County's. It's literally heaven 95% of the year, and that other 5% can be mitigated with A/C easily enough, just limits doing outdoor activities.

Fair enough. I just remember hating the humidity in Miami if I wasn't close to the water. I live in Arizona now, so I'm not a humidity tolerant person, so that's just how it felt the times I visited. Not a scientific analysis at all and it was almost 25 years ago. I would take Orlando over Miami though. Closer to everything and way more family and business friendly from what I remember.

Miami had some of the coolest and worst places I had ever seen all wrapped in a tiny little area.

Vaclav

Fair enough. I just remember hating the humidity in Miami if I wasn't close to the water. I live in Arizona now, so I'm not a humidity tolerant person, so that's just how it felt the times I visited. Not a scientific analysis at all and it was almost 25 years ago. I would take Orlando over Miami though. Closer to everything and way more family and business friendly from what I remember.

Miami had some of the coolest and worst places I had ever seen all wrapped in a tiny little area.

Not been to Miami yet, I think it's below where the Gulf Stream crosses though, I think it goes across from Naples, below Orlando and over to Brevard.

Vaclav

I would never go back to Florida.

Where'd you go to though? I could see that being legit if you went West Coast - but I can't think of anywhere on the East Coast I'd take over the good parts of Florida. (basically fuck JAX and let me pick and choose my interactions with Central)

kudos

<Banned>
Where'd you go to though? I could see that being legit if you went West Coast - but I can't think of anywhere on the East Coast I'd take over the good parts of Florida. (basically fuck JAX and let me pick and choose my interactions with Central)
I lived in Florida from 2001-2017. Tampa specifically. I am now in the DC area.

Vaclav

I lived in Florida from 2001-2017. Tampa specifically. I am now in the DC area.

Not familiar with Tampa - but I can't imagine not preferring it to DC, DC/Rockville/etc sucked ass. Some parts of MD and NoVa are nice, but DC blows.

(I was Westminster/Columbia/Towson for around 20 years before I moved down here - and dealt with Rockville/DC for a good hunk due to work stuff)

Last edited: