Relocating to Orlando Florida

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Fuckkkkkk.... I really hope I ace the Amazon interview. Doc's telling me I probably need to start limiting my driving due to my foot issue and current job is around 500 miles a week. So this headhunting job definitely needs to be replaced unless he's wrong.

He's not the expert and I see a podiatrist soon, but Jesus Christ.... if he's right I need to get back in a desk job. And definitely not have a long commute.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Winter Garden has some nice spots and is over all above average to live in. It's past all the cow fields and redneck areas and easy to get to all the fun stuff in Orlando.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
How is winter garden as a place to live?

Has a very nice downtown area and the road network makes it a way more convenient area to live in than most areas of Orlando. Between the Turnpike, 429 and 408, you can get anywhere quick. West Orange bike trail runs through the town, goes for over 25 miles in each direction. If you have money, check out the Oakland Park subdivision. Most unique development in central Florida.

Yellow Dog Eats is over rated and hipster/nothing-attracts-a-crowd-like-a-crowd syndrome. I don't wait in line for anything, much less a sandwich and a bag of chips.

El Rey del la Papa in Winter Garden for fair priced but awesome home made Colombian food. And never a wait.

• 1Like

Vaclav

And officially got it, filling out my new I9s and everything Saturday. So I'm probably doomed to relocate to Orlando myself in the moderately near future. I'll really miss living on the water...

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Winter Garden has some nice spots and is over all above average to live in. It's past all the cow fields and redneck areas and easy to get to all the fun stuff in Orlando.
I'd say the two best spots to live are Winter Park (where I lived) and Winter Garden. Everything else is just kinda...meh sprawl city to me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Yeah thats where we are targetting our hunt.
I HATED living in Central Florida, but I actually really liked my little corner of it. I was right down the street from Rollins off Lake Osceola and it was a nice area. Super quiet, easy access to the 4 and still plenty of cool places to go on surface streets without too much hassle (living in LA has REALLY skewed how I see traffic elsewhere).

Vaclav

Where do you live currently?

Merritt Island over in Brevard. Definitely commute friendly for some people, but I know myself. Working there will make me want to do the social stuff out there more which will start the whole snowball of inevitability. Laura doesn't drive so it's not like I could just meet her after work somewhere either. (She really should, but she's too chicken)

But it is close enough to be patient until a perfect place pops up, I'm fond of Lake Nona area myself so that'll likely be where I focus upon.

And my new career will be near Belle Isle/Lake Conway so Nona should be about 15-20 min tops from my guesstimates.

Vaclav

I HATED living in Central Florida, but I actually really liked my little corner of it. I was right down the street from Rollins off Lake Osceola and it was a nice area. Super quiet, easy access to the 4 and still plenty of cool places to go on surface streets without too much hassle (living in LA has REALLY skewed how I see traffic elsewhere).

Isn't LA a traffic hell like Boston?

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Isn't LA a traffic hell like Boston?
LA traffic is hell...sometimes.

It's nothing like Atlanta that is just stuck 24/7 (I can't really speak to Boston...been there a few times but never did much driving around), but it gets REALLY bad sometimes to the point of just wanting to give up (I REALLY need to get my motorcycles out here). But looking back to when I lived in Orlando or (lol) Albuquerque, I have a new appreciation for cities that have "minor traffic". Orlando is one of those cities. Albuquerque at rush hour is like LA at 3am on a Sunday.

Vaclav

Gotcha. I thought it sounded like you were saying LA traffic made Orlando look shitty, which as major cities go, it's not bad. Besides mid hurricane weirdness it's never really congested (and even that was tolerable) in my experience.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
LA traffic is hell...sometimes. It's nothing like Atlanta that is just stuck 24/7
Wat?

You can't even take streets here reliably to avoid freeway traffic. You want to go down Lincoln or the 2 or Olympic, etc at 8AM, 1PM, 10PM, Anytime o' clock? Best of luck to you. This is a driving city, especially if your starting point is Santa Monica and your options to do anything fun require you hop on the shittiest routes (405, 10, 1, 2,) in America. I guess you could take the rail downtown as an option but I don't fuck with public transit here.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

It's nothing like Atlanta that is just stuck 24/7 (I can't really speak to Boston...been there a few times but never did much driving around), but it gets REALLY bad sometimes to the point of just wanting to give up (I REALLY need to get my motorcycles out here). But looking back to when I lived in Orlando or (lol) Albuquerque, I have a new appreciation for cities that have "minor traffic". Orlando is one of those cities. Albuquerque at rush hour is like LA at 3am on a Sunday.
Guess it depends on where you are going. If you are on the 405 going over the hill its like 2 hours to go 10-15 miles. I also would never drive a motorcycle down there after commuting for a few years. You will get fucked up.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Wat?

You can't even take streets here reliably to avoid freeway traffic. You want to go down Lincoln or the 2 or Olympic, etc at 8AM, 1PM, 10PM, Anytime o' clock? Best of luck to you. This is a driving city, especially if your starting point is Santa Monica and your options to do anything fun require you hop on the shittiest routes (405, 10, 1, 2,) in America. I guess you could take the rail downtown as an option but I don't fuck with public transit here.
Why not? I drive mostly but the rail is fine. Took that line to Long Beach the other day for the Aquarium and it was pretty sweet. You want bad rail, come ride the South Red in Chiraq sometime. THAT is some bad rail.

And my point was that the worst traffic in LA at least moves. The few times I was driving that long ass loop in Atlanta I was chilling with the parking break on more than I was moving.

Guess it depends on where you are going. If you are on the 405 going over the hill its like 2 hours to go 10-15 miles. I also would never drive a motorcycle down there after commuting for a few years. You will get fucked up.
I just do everything I can to avoid the 405 around there. I realize I am probably taking longer and burning more gas, but it's that illusion of moving that just feels better than the inch by inch you get on the freeways.

Only time I REALLY hate the traffic is when I have to head to Burbank or Pasadena from Santa Monica/Culver City at the drop of a hat on an afternoon. FML.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Why not? I drive mostly but the rail is fine. Took that line to Long Beach the other day for the Aquarium and it was pretty sweet. You want bad rail, come ride the South Red in Chiraq sometime. THAT is some bad rail.

And my point was that the worst traffic in LA at least moves. The few times I was driving that long ass loop in Atlanta I was chilling with the parking break on more than I was moving.

I just do everything I can to avoid the 405 around there. I realize I am probably taking longer and burning more gas, but it's that illusion of moving that just feels better than the inch by inch you get on the freeways.

Only time I REALLY hate the traffic is when I have to head to Burbank or Pasadena from Santa Monica/Culver City at the drop of a hat on an afternoon. FML.
I was commuting from Culver City to the valley. It blows. Burbank is pretty bad too. Never actually went to Pasadena during rush hour thankfully.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I used to be salty about driving an hour from the beach to downtown for my daily commute. That took about an hour and was 18 miles. I'm now 4.1 miles from work and it takes 45 minutes. West LA problems.