Renal failure in pets: experience and advice with a side of amphibious bears

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

iannis

Musty Nester
I thought the definition of amphibious was the ability to breathe both in an air environment and an underwater environment. It's related to gills and lungs, not foraging. Like frogs and lizards and some fish at different stages of their development. Otters are no more amphibious than whales or crocodiles.

But I learned that shit in like 3rd grade science.

amphibious bears

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I thought the definition of amphibious was the ability to breathe both in an air environment and an underwater environment. It's related to gills and lungs, not foraging. Like frogs and lizards and some fish at different stages of their development. Otters are no more amphibious than whales or crocodiles.

amphibious bears
wrong.

you're thinking of amphibians, not amphibious.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Polar bears, are in fact designed different from other bears with more swimmy adaptations.

amphibious bears
No, that is being an "amphibian", a specific style of critter, like "mammal".

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You know you've gone off the rails when Araysar starts agreeing with you.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FILL THIS FUCKER WITH BEARS AND ITS GO TIME!

g8L5IZO.jpg

iannis

Musty Nester
Ah yeah yall are right. That is amphibian.

Good for nothing public education. Thanks Obama.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Would bears get renal failure if they were fed dried bear food their whole life by their owner Timothy Treadwell? If so, would he post a thread using child-like words like the OP in this thread?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The lack of amphibious assault bears in the Canadian military really rustles my jimmies.

You'd think they'd have figured out a way to weaponize bears by now. Shit its 2013 for fuck's sake.

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
I dont know why people bothered with killer dolphins during the cold war, bears would had obviously done a better job.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Very rarely have truer words been spoken or typed in the English language.

Dolphins are fucking pussies

Bears are the shit

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Never heard of Polar Bears have you?
So you're saying, via your arguments, that polar bears are the only bears that eat fish, correct? Again, just wanna make sure that I know what I'm laughing at you for. You're like a wind up car, never know where it's gonna end up, but it's amusing to watch every time.

The important point is that just because dogs eat fish or don't eat fish in the wild, doesn't mean that they will be healthier if they do eat fish in your house. It is the same fallacy as the idiots that spout the paleo diet for humans.
Correct, all of those people who try to eat natural foods instead of highly processed foods are actually not any healthier than those people who eat McDonalds a dozen times a week. I'm pretty happy we've got you here to set the record straight for everyone. You should pop on down to the weight loss thread and help out those poor fuckers eating lean chicken breast and vegetables every day and let them know that they're wasting their fucking time.

I dunno when the fuck you came along into the dog discussion, but my philosophy on their diet has always been pretty simple. Dogs are carnivores. Carnivores have teeth that look like this -

carnivore_teeth.jpg

They are designed from the ground up in nature to eat meat. Not grains, not corn gluten meal, not sweet potatoes, not soy, not flax, meat. I don't give a fuck what anyone else feeds their dog, but when faced with the decision of trusting pet food companies with a pretty poor record of food safety vs just feeding my dogs actual natural meat, the choice was clear in my mind. Your analogy fucking fails on so many levels. Are you really trying to say that eating lean chicken and vegetables doesn't make you any healthier than eating McDonalds every day? Because that's the proper analogy here. I'm not feeding my dog the convenience food, I'm feeding natural food. 100% chicken, beef, venison, pork, fish. No added shit, no preservatives, no grains. If you want to say that's in any way the same as some bullshit fad diet, you're sadly mistaken.

Is my dog healthier? Well, her teeth are healthier, that's for sure. Her breath has no odor at all, and when was the last time you could tolerate a dog panting in your face? Will it lead to a better and longer life for her? I don't know. I've said as much on FOH, lost to the sands of time. I look forward to finding out, though. If she substantially outlives all my childhood dogs and makes it a good bit past 10 years old, I'll consider that to be healthier, and you can either call it psuedoscience or accept it and I don't give 2 shits one way or another. In either case, you should probably stop going to the Merlin School of Analogies and Arguments, because yours is pretty fucking pathetic.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Let's just pretend that the past 12,000 years of human/canine relations have not included countless generations of dogs being heavily selected for their capacity to consume human left overs.

Corn is bad for everyone, especially when its your primary staple food stuff, so yes, store bought dog food that is corn heavy is not good for dogs.

Neither is eating corn almost primarily as your only nutritional source as a human. You'll literally die if you try that.

iannis

Musty Nester
Corn is a wondercrop, bro!

Seriously, it is though. You don't need to supplement corn with -that- much in order to stave off malnutrition. Yeah you'll be short. But you'll be alive.

Has northern central america taught us nothing?!?

amphibious bears

iannis

Musty Nester
The man who rules the world is the man who engineers edible kudzu, or the man that engineers high sugar low cellulose kudzu that can be easily processed into bio-diesel.

A leafy vine that can grow in semi-arable land up to 1 foot per day? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

iannis

Musty Nester
I am estatic to report that we are now #1 on (my) google search for "amphibious bears"

#2 if you count the google image link.