Renewed/Cancelled Shows

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I think a major problem with these broadcast shows is that there are way too many episodes. Having to create 20+ eps per season makes for a lot of filler shit. It gets old quick when it feels like the story isn't going anywhere.

British shows have the opposite problem. Their season are usually like 6-8 episodes, which is too few to properly carry a story.
Ideally what I'd like to see, is US networks cutting down 22-24 episode seasons to about 10-12 episodes then they would also fit very nicely in the Fall/Sping broadcasting cycles

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I really need to learn to torrent. Many shows I fell behind on after I decided Hulu were faggots.

I liked B99 was a great background watch too.

Any TLDR on Expanse and what makes it good? I've been burned on very few good sci fi shows for years so always looking for more. (Yes I know theres a thread, TLDR version not wanting spoilers and an hour skimming to find any good info.)

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I am scared to check this thread and find that more shows I watch are cancelled.

Cybsled

Any TLDR on Expanse and what makes it good? I've been burned on very few good sci fi shows for years so always looking for more. (Yes I know theres a thread, TLDR version not wanting spoilers and an hour skimming to find any good info.)

Well written/acted, it is a more realistic sci-fi show (there is only thrust "gravity" or centrifugal rotation "gravity", messages travel at the speed of light so there is a delay deeper in the solar system...basically it obeys the laws of physics), it is also a political thriller/drama: Earth is run by the UN and is super overpopulated, but still the main power. Mars won its independence from Earth long ago, but is a technologically advanced military power and a direct rival power to Earth. They have lower numbers, but they make up for it in tech (advanced ships and weapons, power armor, etc). The Belters are basically the people who live in the Asteroid Belt and outer planet moons. Earth and Mars basically consume the resources of the belt/outer planets and Belters are basically a lower class who get shit on by both powers (which the Belters refer to as "Inners") and essentially serve as vassal states to Mars or Earth. Because of the differences in Earth, Mars, and the Belt, there is a lot of tension between all 3...especially with resources being consumed at a fast rate and leaving less for the little guys.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
just watch the first episode of the expanse if you aren't hooked, well i dunno what to tell you. every season has gotten better than the last too, and i am pretty certain barring any weird legal contract stuff amazon or Netflix is gonna pick up the show. 7 books are out already, 3 more are due and the authors have been banging out one book every year and they are the head writers for the show as well. The show runner has a PhD in physics and worked on Star Trek TNG and Farscape.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I'd say The Expanse's appeal is that they already have so many books out so we know they can go 7+ seasons based on what they have now. That's a huge incentive for Netflix or whoever to pick up since it could be a longer running series that keeps getting better.

Based on the reddit's reaction the changes/improvements going from print to the screen are welcomed by the fanbase and may be considered better.

Cybsled

The biggest obstacle is Netflix owns overseas streaming rights and Amazon owns domestic. For one to pick up, the other would have to let the rights go.

Sludig

Well written/acted, it is a more realistic sci-fi show (there is only thrust "gravity" or centrifugal rotation "gravity", messages travel at the speed of light so there is a delay deeper in the solar system...basically it obeys the laws of physics), it is also a political thriller/drama: Earth is run by the UN and is super overpopulated, but still the main power. Mars won its independence from Earth long ago, but is a technologically advanced military power and a direct rival power to Earth. They have lower numbers, but they make up for it in tech (advanced ships and weapons, power armor, etc). The Belters are basically the people who live in the Asteroid Belt and outer planet moons. Earth and Mars basically consume the resources of the belt/outer planets and Belters are basically a lower class who get shit on by both powers (which the Belters refer to as "Inners") and essentially serve as vassal states to Mars or Earth. Because of the differences in Earth, Mars, and the Belt, there is a lot of tension between all 3...especially with resources being consumed at a fast rate and leaving less for the little guys.
So Battletech prequel. Gotcha ;p

spronk

FPS noob
apparently a crew guy on expanse says netflix has passed on the show and amazon is the only hope

hope it can make it :(

Sludig

There's some alien tech shit in there too. Just watch the first season. :p
Remaining question is viewing options, particularly old seasons. I'm a internet luddite and currently dont know how to torrent without virusing myself.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
CW: iZombie is a great show. Will be sad if it goes away. Stopped watching Arrow and Riverdale this year, but did like Black Lightning. Supernatural is going to keep going until the brothers look like grandpas. And I'm OK with this.

NBC: B99 moving here will give me 1 show to watch if Blacklist gets canned.

Fox: They seem determined to kill off their remaining good shows. Sucks, but not new for them. I really really want Lucifer to show up in the Arrowverse. That would be way much awesome. Tie it in with Constantine.

CBS: BBT should die soon. Young Sheldon is fun, though. NCIS is running long in the tooth now that they are down to 1 remaining member from S1. NCIS: LA is still fun. MacGyver is hit or miss. Never watched any of what was canned.

ABC: Roseanne is good. AoS needs more seasons. Kevin Probably Saves The World was surprisingly good. Hope it gets more.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Earth=British Empire. Mars=United States. Belt=South America/Cuba//Indians/Privateers/Berbers. Show is a rough parallel of the events of the time period before and after the American Revolution and the War of 1812 and the Westward expansion of the U.S. (Even has Mormons trying to outrun the reach of both the states) Very rough, but the same concept of a new power rising, trying to completely unshackle itself even after independence, and the lesser powers being caught in the middle as the bigger ones shake out who now owns what.

What I really enjoy about the show is it doesn't try to make anyone the good guys. Feels very real in showing everyone's motivations are good for their own people, and yet that leads them to be shitty against each other.

Last edited:

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
CW: iZombie is a great show. Will be sad if it goes away. Stopped watching Arrow and Riverdale this year, but did like Black Lightning. Supernatural is going to keep going until the brothers look like grandpas. And I'm OK with this.

NBC: B99 moving here will give me 1 show to watch if Blacklist gets canned.

Fox: They seem determined to kill off their remaining good shows. Sucks, but not new for them. I really really want Lucifer to show up in the Arrowverse. That would be way much awesome. Tie it in with Constantine.

CBS: BBT should die soon. Young Sheldon is fun, though. NCIS is running long in the tooth now that they are down to 1 remaining member from S1. NCIS: LA is still fun. MacGyver is hit or miss. Never watched any of what was canned.

ABC: Roseanne is good. AoS needs more seasons. Kevin Probably Saves The World was surprisingly good. Hope it gets more.

Rumor is that Fox is cutting as much fat as possible before Disney makes an attempt at acquiring them.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
NBC taking B99 is awesome. Now I have something to watch on NBC!

Cybsled

Now that I think about it, I haven't watched anything on NBC since they canceled Grimm

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Now that I think about it, I haven't watched anything on NBC since they canceled Grimm

Wife and I watch Superstore (she used to work in Wallyworld's corporate arm) and find it essentially The Office set at Walmart without documentary cam. But we watch it on Hulu, not on NBC.

Looks like Gotham got the axe too? Or will apparently get cancelled if they manage to ink a new lead actor for Lethal Weapon? (This is confusing me greatly)