Retro Gaming Thread

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Jesus I forgot about this game. Not sure if we talking about the same one or not. One I'm talking about you basically tried to hide through the house and use traps to disable them. Basically had to last a certain amount of time to win. I was never able to beat it, but remember hiding in the christmas tree gave the best chance of not getting caught. It was complete rng whether they found you when they walked over you.
Doesn't sound like the one I played. In the SNES version, you're going around the house looking through drawers and shit and trying to avoid the bandits. You could squirt them repeatedly with your water pistol to stun them or knock stuff on their heads. Eventually you'd get to the basement where you had to avoid spiders and rats and fight the scary heater.

Man, looking at these screenshots now, I can't believe the game looked this bad!

home_alone.png

medium_3_screenshot.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Played through an NES game I loved as a kid: Pinball Quest

It's one of those games that has gigantic flaws but the concept and presentation alone win me over. It's a pinball game with lite RPG elements and a quest to progress through. The physics are awful, the RNG is brutally merciless, the graphics are passable but definitely lack polish, and at least one of the tunes is a bit ear-grating, but it's sooooo fucking charming. As unforgiving and repetitive as the game is, if you stick with it you accumulate money, which allows you to purchase flipper upgrades and life-saving stoppers. Eventually you get the Permanent Stopper, which blocks off the left and right gutters indefinitely and can be used on every screen, and the Center Stopper, which needs to be re-purchased for each use but is virtually essential in later levels. As broken as the physics are, you do eventually kind of get used to it. Definitely not for the impatient or easily-frustrated.

Pinball%20Quest-15.png

pinball-quest-skeletons.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
How come they don't make any good side scrolling shoot em up game's anymore? I'd kill for an R-Type or Forgotten Realms type game!

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Doesn't sound like the one I played. In the SNES version, you're going around the house looking through drawers and shit and trying to avoid the bandits. You could squirt them repeatedly with your water pistol to stun them or knock stuff on their heads. Eventually you'd get to the basement where you had to avoid spiders and rats and fight the scary heater.

Man, looking at these screenshots now, I can't believe the game looked this bad!

View attachment 1262

View attachment 1263

Ended up going look. It was for NES and was terrible.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...E2G15v1ikoTdtx8cA&sig2=Q2K-VK1b9AWe1CdhkkArsA

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
Played through an NES game I loved as a kid: Pinball Quest

It's one of those games that has gigantic flaws but the concept and presentation alone win me over. It's a pinball game with lite RPG elements and a quest to progress through. The physics are awful, the RNG is brutally merciless, the graphics are passable but definitely lack polish, and at least one of the tunes is a bit ear-grating, but it's sooooo fucking charming. As unforgiving and repetitive as the game is, if you stick with it you accumulate money, which allows you to purchase flipper upgrades and life-saving stoppers. Eventually you get the Permanent Stopper, which blocks off the left and right gutters indefinitely and can be used on every screen, and the Center Stopper, which needs to be re-purchased for each use but is virtually essential in later levels. As broken as the physics are, you do eventually kind of get used to it. Definitely not for the impatient or easily-frustrated.

OMG I remember that game. I rented it once and loved it. Probably one of the best pinball games I've played. Loved the music.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Ogre Battle.

I played the shit out of Ogre Battle. I wish I had found a similar style of game back in my youth. I always loved the idea of the big battles with upgrade paths for units, but never found a comparable tactics game that captured my interest.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I always found Disagaea's humor and light-heartedness was lost on me.

It's unfortunate because the gameplay is pretty top-notch.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
If you liked the original Legend of Zelda, try Arkista's Ring. It's more like Gauntlet where its kill focused to finally get a key drop.

Something about the protagonist should appeal to Noomba, too.

Szlia

How come they don't make any good side scrolling shoot em up game's anymore? I'd kill for an R-Type or Forgotten Realms type game!
There is a number of good side scrolling shmups that have been and are being released, the thing is that these days they are released in the Arcades, on Steam, on digital download or only in Japan on physical media (sometimes in limited runs for vintage consoles).

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Did someone say Ogre Battle? *hints to name and avatar*

I don't think I played any game as much as it until EQ finally dethroned it, but thats comparying an online/mmo to a single player only game. I would try every variation of army composition, good, evil, good and evil, etc. If only it had decent world map AI instead of the enemies always blindly rushing toward your base, but even then I enjoyed endless grinding and upgrading each individual troop.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Final Fantasy Tactics?

Shining Force 1 and 2?

Back in the day I didn't have a PS1 or a Genesis. My brother and I only got one console at a time and we always chose the latest Nintendo.

Once I got back into console gaming a few years ago I tried FF Tactics A2 but it wasn't quite the same for me and I didn't have much fun. I've tried to go back and play Shining Force 1 and 2 a few times but never could make it very far before their age turned me off.

Maybe I've outgrown the genre.

I've been playing through all the Metroid games over the last few weeks and have been having a grand time.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I've been playing through all the Metroid games over the last few weeks and have been having a grand time.
Even the original? As groundbreaking as it was for its time, it's REALLY hard to play after the many refinements the genre has undergone since then.

LiquidDeath

Even the original? As groundbreaking as it was for its time, it's REALLY hard to play after the many refinements the genre has undergone since then.

Oh god no. I started with the original and quit about an hour in. I'm glad it spawned an amazing genre of games for the last 30 years but it is just terrible now. If the controls were better it might work but they are ridiculously clunky. I've heard Zero Mission is good to play instead.

I also skipped Metroid 2 and played AM2R instead since it suffers from many of the same issues.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DethBreth

Lord Nagafen Raider
Did someone say Ogre Battle? *hints to name and avatar*

I don't think I played any game as much as it until EQ finally dethroned it, but thats comparying an online/mmo to a single player only game. I would try every variation of army composition, good, evil, good and evil, etc. If only it had decent world map AI instead of the enemies always blindly rushing toward your base, but even then I enjoyed endless grinding and upgrading each individual troop.

I was young so when the nice werewolf asked me to come back at night I did - mistake.