Retro Gaming Thread

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
There is a number of good side scrolling shmups that have been and are being released, the thing is that these days they are released in the Arcades, on Steam, on digital download or only in Japan on physical media (sometimes in limited runs for vintage consoles).

Throw me some examples. I'd love to play some really good shmups to kill some time!

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Whelp, I made it about 3 hours into Metroid Prime and I can't do it anymore. The controls are shit. First person Metroid seemed like a terrible idea when I heard about it and I can confirm that it doesn't have any of the charm of a side scroller.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Whelp, I made it about 3 hours into Metroid Prime and I can't do it anymore. The controls are shit. First person Metroid seemed like a terrible idea when I heard about it and I can confirm that it doesn't have any of the charm of a side scroller.
You're nuts. I generally don't like FPSs, but Metroid Prime was fantastic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

This could quite possibly be the dumbest post in the history of the Internet. Metroid Prime is one the greatest video games of all time.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Maybe it is because I'm playing it with mouse and keyboard on an emulator or something, I just can't get into it.

I started Metroid Zero Mission instead and so far it is fantastic.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Played and beat Super Mario Land yesterday.

That is all.

• 2Like

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I tackled Cool Spot for the SNES today, and it's honestly better than most would expect for a licensed title designed to sell 7up.

The graphics are actually quite good. Since the titular Spot is a small character, the world around you is extra big. This is put to best use in the first level, where you're on a beach navigating giant beach chairs, jumping on 7up cans (which, oddly, have their logos facing away from the camera), and observing cassette tapes playing in Walkmans. The levels tend to get less imaginative from that point on, with themes such as "wall" and "toys" that no longer look like real-world areas but rather sprite sets used to create gargantuan mazes to explore. They also re-use some sprite sets, making the game seem a bit repetitive after a while.

Speaking of exploring, you pretty much have no choice. Each level requires you to find at least 60 of the 100 spots scattered all over the place before you can rescue another Cool Spot trapped in a cage at the end of the level. If you want a shot at the bonus stage (which is necessary if you want to collect all the letters to spell "UNCOLA"), you've got to get at least 85 spots (if I remember correctly). This means searching every nook and cranny, as many spots are hidden behind foreground objects or in other out-of-the-way places. Unfortunately, there is also a time limit, adding some (IMO) unnecessary tension to your playthrough. The time limit seems especially unfair considering enemy placement also prevents briskly moving through the levels. Many, many enemies are placed in cheap locations, and often the only way to progress safely is to methodically and slowly explore every area bit by bit, shooting every enemy you see with your bubbles (which can, thankfully, be fired in 8 directions).

Your character jumps super high and his standing jump doesn't cover much horizontal space. There's no "run" button though, as the only way to move faster is to keep walking in one direction until you gain more momentum. This is really aggravating and makes many jumps more difficult than they need to be. It's especially annoying to have to jump from a rope you're clinging to to a platform without hitting your head on the ceiling. But with a bit of practice it becomes manageable.

I decided to give the game an honest effort and even went so far as to collect all the "UNCOLA" letters in the bonus stages (which are also where you hear the best track in the game). Some levels really pushed my patience, such as a train level where you have to jump from tiny airborne UFO to tiny airborne UFO. The UFOs drop you to the ground if you stand on them for more than a fraction of a second, and since they are temporarily off-screen while you are at the apex of your jump AND the background is scrolling by rapidly, it can get extremely disorienting and lead to re-doing large parts of the level over again if you fall. But I was patient, found plenty of 1ups, even got a bunch of continues I didn't end up needing.

Unfortunately, like Demon's Crest before it, Cool Spot had a nasty surprise in store for me. I beat the game in 2 hours with all the bonus letters, only to be told that I needed to beat it in hard mode to get the ending. Ugh. While I don't think I'll be coming back to it, it's definitely worth playing. It seems super-punishing at first since enemies are everywhere and are very easy to get hit by, but once you realize you've gotta move slowly and be patient, it's really not bad.
CoolSpot-Help.gif

Cool_Spot_09_(SNES).gif

maxresdefault.jpg

CoolSpot_Bubble.png

CoolSpotU021.jpg
Speaking of licensed titles designed to sell products, you ever play Yo! Noid on nes? Noid was a crazy 80's domino's pizza character. I remember enjoying that game a lot as a kid.

I really enjoyed Twisted Metal 2. Because it used the hardware it was on so well. Throwing out the freeze code then missle spamming with ...spectre? the sports car. That was super fun.
I named myself Spectre in steam after that car for playing Rocket League. I wanted to get together with friends and all rename ourselves twisted metal 2 characters and only try and blow up the opposing team, but I guess they weren't as big twisted metal fans as I was.

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Maybe it is because I'm playing it with mouse and keyboard on an emulator or something, I just can't get into it.

I started Metroid Zero Mission instead and so far it is fantastic.

I played Metroid Prime when it was first released on the Gamecube, so I'm pretty sure that playing it on a keyboard and mouse isn't the best way to play it. My recommendation is try it again with a joystick, or if you know someone who still has a Gamecube (mine's in my basement somewhere), ask to borrow it. It really is one of the best video games I've ever played. Definitely in my top 20.

• 1Like

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
Even the original? As groundbreaking as it was for its time, it's REALLY hard to play after the many refinements the genre has undergone since then.
It really isn't that bad if you use a map like I did. Still a very fun game. Controls are still very tight.

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
Metroid Prime was amazing and still is.

• 1Like

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Speaking of licensed titles designed to sell products, you ever play Yo! Noid on nes? Noid was a crazy 80's domino's pizza character. I remember enjoying that game a lot as a kid.
I've played it. It was decent game with some fun gimmicks. I wasn't a fan of the competitive pizza-eating boss battles, though.

• 1Like

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I decided to play through Donkey Kong Country again, and since I never achieved 101% before I made that my goal. (Took me 2 sessions.)

In many ways the game holds up remarkably well. The graphics still impress and the music is still fantastic. The controls are sometimes criticized for not being as tight as the Mario games, but once you get used to them it's not really a problem at all. There are a lot of unique gimmicks that appear only in specific levels, although not to the extent of parts 2 & 3. But really, my biggest complaint is that a lot of the hidden bonus levels are hidden so well it's almost cruel. In DKC 2 & 3, virtually every secret has some kind of clue to let you know how to find it. In DKC 1, there are several that are so hard to find I had to pause the game and watch YouTube videos to discover them. I spent so much time in "Orang-utan Gang" (before cheating) it was infuriating. One level even contains a bonus level hidden within a bonus level. Although the sequels are far superior in every way, DKC did a great job setting the groundwork for everything that followed.

33505-Donkey_Kong_Country_(USA)-25.jpg

33505-Donkey_Kong_Country_(USA)-10.jpg

33505-Donkey_Kong_Country_(USA)-23.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

75237-202095-waterdonkeykongjpg-620x.jpg

DKC-OrangutanGang2.gif

tumblr_n6lpl3vKUN1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

tumblr_maekspa29E1rr85udo1_500.gif

• 1Like

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
I decided to play through Donkey Kong Country again, and since I never achieved 101% before I made that my goal. (Took me 2 sessions.)

In many ways the game holds up remarkably well. The graphics still impress and the music is still fantastic. The controls are sometimes criticized for not being as tight as the Mario games, but once you get used to them it's not really a problem at all. There are a lot of unique gimmicks that appear only in specific levels, although not to the extent of parts 2 & 3. But really, my biggest complaint is that a lot of the hidden bonus levels are hidden so well it's almost cruel. In DKC 2 & 3, virtually every secret has some kind of clue to let you know how to find it. In DKC 1, there are several that are so hard to find I had to pause the game and watch YouTube videos to discover them. I spent so much time in "Orang-utan Gang" (before cheating) it was infuriating. One level even contains a bonus level hidden within a bonus level. Although the sequels are far superior in every way, DKC did a great job setting the groundwork for everything that followed.

Good job man!! I'm so proud of you! lol

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Couple things.

Of course I played the Noid game. For some reason I really liked the character when I was younger.

Second, real glad there's more Twisted Metal 2 fans in here.

Finally, I remember when I got a VHS tape in the mail and it was a hype tape for Donkey Kong Country and had a bunch of the devs in it:

and wouldn't you know it the old jewtube has it. Give it like 4 minutes lol. Super silicon graphics computers lol, love everything about it. Great anti-SEGA propaganda too.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Finally, I remember when I got a VHS tape in the mail and it was a hype tape for Donkey Kong Country and had a bunch of the devs in it:

and wouldn't you know it the old jewtube has it. Give it like 4 minutes lol. Super silicon graphics computers lol, love everything about it. Great anti-SEGA propaganda too.
I got that tape too, it totally sold me on the game. I was floored when they talked about how many layers of falling snow could be displayed!

tumblr_mfioryGS7B1r72ht7o1_500.gif

Hey Marmac Marmac , didn't we buy DKC on release day at Marché aux Puces for 100$?

• 2Like

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Has anybody else ever played Trog! for NES? It's a Pac-Man-type maze game that's actually a port of an arcade game (which I've never seen), but man is it fun.

You play a dinosaur who has to collect eggs while avoiding the titular Trogs (cavemen cyclops). There are powerups (flowers that speed you up, flames that let you spit fire, ice cubes that freeze all enemies, and a pineapple that transforms you into a T-rex, allowing you to very satisfyingly feast on your enemies) that add a layer of strategy to the game. There are also multiple enemy types, bonus stages, warps, cut scenes and a multiplayer mode fleshing out the experience. Mostly, though, the presentation is just top notch. The sprites look fantastic and animate beautifully, especially considering how small they are and that they're 8-bit. When a Trog catches you he knocks you unconscious, then pulls out a little fork and knife to eat you on the spot, followed by a burp. The Trogs can even get caught in their own traps, and if you get one to chase you to the edge of the island, he'll fall to his death. Oddly, despite the prehistoric theme there's a distinct 90s vibe. Flashy neon colors and expressions such as "Rock me baby!" punctuate the action. Trog! is a super-charming hidden gem of a game that I recommend if you like frantic arcade action.

maxresdefault.jpg

Trog_-_1991_-_Acclaim_Entertainment.jpg

57337-Trog!_(USA)-2.jpg

trog-6.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeCF_UGkf3WaKShiY2wYo5u3DOPI3Ud37Bre5OwiuMVT4GPniS9A.png

• 1Like

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
I got that tape too, it totally sold me on the game. I was floored when they talked about how many layers of falling snow could be displayed!

View attachment 2160

Hey Marmac Marmac , didn't we buy DKC on release day at Marché aux Puces for 100$?
I had that tape too and used to watch it almost every day drooling at those graphics!

• 1Like