Retro Gaming Thread

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara which is basically a continuation of King of Dragons is on Steam sale right now HIGHLY recommend!

KoD:

Mystara:

I'm a sucker for the old retro war cry

"Wurrrrr!!!!!!"

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe some of you could figure this out.

Mid 1990s arcade game, was a 2d ship shooter with a Defender style game play that had weapon power ups and you could select which planet to go to after each stage.

Played it a bunch at a local bowling alley but can't remember the name at all.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Spent a few hours playing E.V.O. for the SNES on Friday.

I've always really liked this game despite its grindy nature. There's just something about powering up through evolution that's inherently satisfying. My goal this time was to get some of the "secret" evolutions that I personally haven't seen before. Got the bird form, the temporary dragon form, saw an alien in an asteroid, got the human form, but then I got lost in the temple and gave up.

Oddly, this game contains some exceptionally beautiful music for some stages and super-repetitive and annoying music for other stages. When you have to spend a lot of time grinding to the an 8-second looping track, it can get pretty annoying.

evo-search-for-eden-02.png

47360-e-v-o-search-for-eden-snes-screenshot-first-boss-biting-a-chunk.jpg

evo.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

gfs_40197_2_96.jpg

tumblr_mejlwdaZMv1r2pz7go1_500.gif

• 3Like

Szlia

Maybe some of you could figure this out.

Mid 1990s arcade game, was a 2d ship shooter with a Defender style game play that had weapon power ups and you could select which planet to go to after each stage.

Played it a bunch at a local bowling alley but can't remember the name at all.

When you say "Defender style gameplay" do you mean a game with horizontal scrolling, or do you mean horizontal scrolling with the ability to flip the ship and control the left/right direction of the scrolling (along with a minimap with objectives/enemies on it).

If it's the first, my first guess would be Darius or its sequel Sagaia? Though you do not exactly pick planets, you pick paths identified by letters.

PS: @etchazz I did not forget you, but it will take a little bit of research.

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
I got that tape too, it totally sold me on the game. I was floored when they talked about how many layers of falling snow could be displayed!

View attachment 2160

Hey Marmac Marmac , didn't we buy DKC on release day at Marché aux Puces for 100$?
Yes, we did buy it together at 5 Etoiles but we didn't pay it 100$. Remember we told him the game would be really popular? After we told him that, he increased the price to 100$. lol...fucking piece of shit...I don't go there anymore because of how rude his son is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara which is basically a continuation of King of Dragons is on Steam sale right now HIGHLY recommend!

KoD:

Mystara:

I'm a sucker for the old retro war cry

"Wurrrrr!!!!!!"
Knights of the Round is also a great one!

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Yes, we did buy it together at 5 Etoiles but we didn't pay it 100$. Remember we told him the game would be really popular? After we told him that, he increased the price to 100$. lol...fucking piece of shit...I don't go there anymore because of how rude his son is.
Ah yes, I remember. I still go there once in a while (very rarely) to look for hard-to-find stuff they don't necessarily know about. I found the GBA remake of River City Ransom there pretty cheap.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

Now you have posted quite a link, very relevant to my interests. I'll hunt this one down. These are the real damn games. Mounted combat on your link too, fuckin' sick lol.

The hint of blood on hits is a really nice touch and a lost art. WoW, I think, used to have more of this and more "splurts" and "splurches" on hits which have been replaced with sword sharpening sounds :/.

Dude in the vid's armor reminds me that fencer in Samurai Showdown. Probably my favorite 2D fighter if I had to be stuck on a desert island with one (#3).

E.V.O was awesome cuz you'd literally break your horn off in some foo salamander's ass. Also liked how once your bite had fangs it got a hair of reach and you could safely corner juggle hard as fuck with chomps. Some of those red orbs you found that turned you into unique creatures were cool too. A very satisfying grind evolving into the perfect killing machine for each era indeed, and of course as I mentioned, a pool of points for breaking off horns in some fools.

My brother and I also have dusted off the Warner Brother's remake of Gauntlet (also on Steam). We beat it with Strifen (if he is still lurking) here when it came out at like 5am release night. Much to my pleasant surprise it has had 16 DLCs and another character (necromancer!) and all kinds of customization stuff come out since then. So yeah, we're deeply immersed in it again.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm

I had this Nintendo power and the game hits a very specific nostalgia center in my brain.

Same thing with King Arthur and the Knights of Justice, however i never got past the first boss in that silly game
The game LOOKS really good for that era.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
The problem here I believe is due to the deletion of some post for example of yesterday we deleted post from a user that was turning the old site so what happens is simple every post have a position and that position it's a number equals to the relative position on the thread so any threat with 25 post every post you have a position of 1,2,3 .. all the way up to 25 but what happened is that the engine that computes the number of pages per thread let's assume that there is 8 Post per thread so the engine says oh that's number 25 divided by 8 equals 4 but when it grabs the post, it only grabs 24 of them since things I deleted one of them and then the last page it's left without a post.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Phantasy Star for Sega Master System was one of the first video games I owned. Frustrating game as a child. After decades of awful memories, I beat it not too long ago. So satisfying to kick that game right in the tuchus.

Currently playing Link to the Past.

• 3Like

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Phantasy Star for Sega Master System was one of the first video games I owned. Frustrating game as a child. After decades of awful memories, I beat it not too long ago. So satisfying to kick that game right in the tuchus.

Currently playing Link to the Past.
I 100%ed Link to the Past in one life in one sitting on multiple occasions. Outstanding game.

• 1Like

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Okay I used to have a racing game, or maybe it was just a car game, on Sega. I don't think it was a 32x game as nothing looked familiar on the list I checked.

The game had two cars that you could choose I think. One was called Roadster. I don't really remember if you actually raced beyond doing time trials or not, but you could design your own tracks with huge loops and such.

Does anybody have any idea what it would have been called?