Return of Reckoning - Warhammer Online Private Server

Cepaqua_sl

shitlord
This private server is basically just T1 RVR madness and Scenarios.

It's actually pretty fun, like playing twinks in WoW.

I've been running around on my White lion with my Runepriest buddy spam healing me.
I jumped in the first month the private server was released and it was still too early for any viable gameplay: class abilities were broken and/or missing, quests were broken and/or completely missing forcing you to grind if there was no pvp action, Tier 2, 3 and 4 were missing, and a whole bunch of other typical shortcomings of a premature private server.

Fast forward to today...holy crap. I saw a post on Reddit saying the pop is great now, tier 2 and 3 are in and the battles are fierce. Tier 1 battle this evening was incredibly fun, about 60 people showed up. Was playing a Knight of the Blazing Sun and charging into the entire Destro army with plenty of heals from my warband. So fun to play a tank in WAR (and melee DPS too), you should always be pushing up and hearing clinks and clanks of armor as you go hack and slash your way thru to the healers in the back. Collision is even working (for the most part) which makes for some bad ass formations and alot of screaming if you're the one being blocked in as the rest of your warband retreats. All in all, love the diversity in races/classes, love how fast you can roll a char and be in the middle of a huge battle in a matter of minutes and ofcourse love Warhammer so win-win-win. I think they're rdy to push tier 4 and then the keep sieging commences. If you're looking forward to MMOGs like Crowfall and Camelot Unchained with open world PvP/RvR, this is surprisingly well done for a game that unfortunately sunk and had the plug pulled before it even had a chance.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I tried this in July and the lag was horrendous. It was impossible to play from Australia, especially as a melee. If a mob moved at all it was basically impossible to ever get back into melee range because the client never knew where the server thought the mob was.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Are the good guy classes still "just better?" As in, Bright Wizards, Warrior Priests, and depending how early the build is, Witchhunters.

ixian_sl

shitlord
I cant get the website to register an account - internal 500?
Think they've been getting DDOS'd the past couple of days (when I Googled the site to make sure I had the most recent URL, the Google cache news update talked about a DDOS). Seems to be up now.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Pretty impressed they have more then 200 people online especially for alpha. I'll echo some of the other thoughts, WAR is really probably my biggest disappointment because it was actually pretty good and had a lot going for it. Mythic just didn't seem to have the backend figured out and they did have some balance issues. However, if they would have only addressed the objective flipping, it would be kept me longer but you just kept running in circles and never really got into diehard defending.

I had a good time for awhile and it is really a shame they couldn't get it together.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
A lot of their PVP problems stemmed from two Order classes: Bright Wizards and Runepriests. Too many f'n knockbacks meant that certain Warzones (looking at you, T2) were just absolutely retardedly skewed in their favor. It was similar to early Alliance Base design in Alterac Valley: You had a literal funnel that the enemy had to pass through to get into your base where if you fall off the funnel, you are dead/too far out of combat to matter, and AEs/KBs aplenty with the defending team. The other side was a joke comparatively to get to/into.

PVEwise, it had Public quests which were the shit, and a story that was largely forgettable but serviceable. But having zero PVE endgame really killed non-pvp players from sticking around, and then having Order so OP from constantly winning Warzones on the backs of broken classes/zone design, your endgame PVP was literally the Destruction city always on lockdown and most bases Order controlled on the vast majority of servers. Balance was non-existent and it never was righted effectively before the game was shut off.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
A lot of their PVP problems stemmed from two Order classes: Bright Wizards and Runepriests. Too many f'n knockbacks meant that certain Warzones (looking at you, T2) were just absolutely retardedly skewed in their favor. It was similar to early Alliance Base design in Alterac Valley: You had a literal funnel that the enemy had to pass through to get into your base where if you fall off the funnel, you are dead/too far out of combat to matter, and AEs/KBs aplenty with the defending team. The other side was a joke comparatively to get to/into.

PVEwise, it had Public quests which were the shit, and a story that was largely forgettable but serviceable. But having zero PVE endgame really killed non-pvp players from sticking around, and then having Order so OP from constantly winning Warzones on the backs of broken classes/zone design, your endgame PVP was literally the Destruction city always on lockdown and most bases Order controlled on the vast majority of servers. Balance was non-existent and it never was righted effectively before the game was shut off.
The end game they did have didnt even work right. Fortress fights would crash the server. Then when you did attack the main city, contribution was either random or broken. The battle would end, and like only 4 of the 50 people who contributed would show up on on the loot roll roster.

Fun fact: If you had 2 accounts, you could PvP power level insanely fast. I switched to destruction to hang out with some friends, and killed my max rank Archmage over and over again to get my newbie leveled super quick. Just tag it once, jump off a cliff. No battle death spam, and you get full credit. My newbie had the #2 statue in the main city for a while lol...

Telestin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The end game they did have didnt even work right. Fortress fights would crash the server. Then when you did attack the main city, contribution was either random or broken. The battle would end, and like only 4 of the 50 people who contributed would show up on on the loot roll roster.

Fun fact: If you had 2 accounts, you could PvP power level insanely fast. I switched to destruction to hang out with some friends, and killed my max rank Archmage over and over again to get my newbie leveled super quick. Just tag it once, jump off a cliff. No battle death spam, and you get full credit. My newbie had the #2 statue in the main city for a while lol...
I miss this game. I am a former Mythic employee (worked exclusively on WAR), and I think it would be a hoot to fire it up again. Yeah, there were a bunch of exploits in the game. But the CSR's were so busy with bots and racists (there was a TON of racism in chat), they didn't have a chance to stop a lot of the exploits that were going on. Had you been reported, you would have been perma-banned.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Just wanted to update bump this, the server is still up and running, been playing it for the past week casually and it's been a lot of fun screwing around in RvR (pve is really boring). The server cap is currently at 1200, usually during eu time 12-8pm est you can find 800+ online, right now at 3am est there's 300 online. T3 was implemented in nov 2015, max level 32 renown 40, you can find warbands for T1-3 regularly, T4 is still not in yet but I believe they're taking some time to implement some pve stuff right now.
This is not a donation server and never will be, and is updated regularly.

I even saw [GSCH] from sanctum of rall in gw2(and many other games) show up yesterday with a guild warband in T1. They tried to make use of collision and block the boat plank entrance with tanks to defend it, they repelled the first attack and then got overwhelmed in the second as the healers couldn't keep up, but was fun to see tactics like that in use again.

As with any private server there will be bugs and lag and not everything is implemented, but if you enjoyed RvR it could be a good side trip down memory lane.

Malkav

French Madman
Good god this game hasn't aged well graphically.

When I launched it I had to check the graphic options. The thing is at max quality in 3440*1440 so why the hell do my eyes burn?

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
We're having fun, give it a try. I've had a rare crash but no moreso than the original. Pop is 900+ during prime times. It makes me think this game was fine and just needed an official relaunch.

They put in a .unlock command if you get stuck in combat

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Can't believe the population on this server. I always liked the game. Thought they just about had something special but ultimately, at least on our server, people just keep hopped. No one ever defended but would just rotate to an unattended keep. Got old fast but game was pretty good.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Can't believe the population on this server. I always liked the game. Thought they just about had something special but ultimately, at least on our server, people just keep hopped. No one ever defended but would just rotate to an unattended keep. Got old fast but game was pretty good.
The keep hopping was my problem with it too. In all the time I played it, I only managed to get my groups to actually defend a keep two times instead of just hopping. Was an awesome game, though. I might have to check this server out a bit once the newness of BnS wears off some.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
The keep hopping was my problem with it too. In all the time I played it, I only managed to get my groups to actually defend a keep two times instead of just hopping. Was an awesome game, though. I might have to check this server out a bit once the newness of BnS wears off some.
Is there anything that can be done to fix this issue? To me it was the biggest turn off of the game and if they could find a creative way to make it beneficial to maintain keeps and defend, I would play today.

orcmauler

Golden Squire
I always liked the DAOC keep/relic system. It has been too long since I played WO to remember if they tried something like that, but I don't think they did.