Rick and Morty

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Here's the cold open for Sunday's season finale.

BIRD PERSON!

Season finale? Do you mean mid-season and then they come back for more like last time or is every season now 8 fucking episodes and we have to wait 12 months for new ones?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There's a web listing showing that Aug 15th is a repeat, but then episodes 9 and 10 are expected on Aug 22 / 29

The final two episodes are titled "Forgetting Sarick Mortshall", and "Rickmurai Jack"

edit: Adult Swim just ran a promo saying it will air a full hour September 5th

Last edited:

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I think I have figured out my problem with the show these last few seasons. The first 7 or 8 episodes are random ones that don't have many ties to the serialized episodes so you get a few months of 'what the fuck am I watching.' Then, the last few episodes are wall to wall reveals of the main story line (you know, the thing that people like about the show now that it is over half a decade old) that leave you wanting the next season to be here tomorrow. So we wait a few years for the next seasons and are disappointed that the main story is ignored for the first 7 or 8 episodes again in lieu of some random shit that is varying levels of funny. I like the story part of the Birdperson episode (and the one off hand holy shit reveal) and realized that if they would just spread out the main story episodes so that we got one in the early season, one in the mid season, and then one or two at the end then I think people would be way more accepting of the one-off episodes. Like what would change about the show if this had been episode 1 instead of 8? Literally nothing.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Episode 8 was decent; watching a story that's relevant to the main plot and not more adlib bs was a marked improvement.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
When the fuck can I stream this season?

Fucking bullshit

• 1Salty

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Episode 8 was decent; watching a story that's relevant to the main plot and not more adlib bs was a marked improvement.
Yeah, Episode 8 was much better.

That said, I still say this season feels very "Family Guy"-esque to me. Something that you have on in the background and maybe laugh at a scene/joke here and there, but it's mostly just noise. Even though Season 4 took a bit of a dip in quality, it still mostly commanded your full attention. Season 5? Pffft.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I wanted to enjoy episode 8 more than I actually did. I’ll rewatch it later when I’m in a more receptive mood, but my initial watch yielded a couple chuckles and one “oh snap” at the casual lore drop about Beth.

I definitely agree that they should sprinkle story episodes throughout the season instead of the last 2-3 episodes.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, Episode 8 was much better.

That said, I still say this season feels very "Family Guy"-esque to me. Something that you have on in the background and maybe laugh at a scene/joke here and there, but it's mostly just noise. Even though Season 4 took a bit of a dip in quality, it still mostly commanded your full attention. Season 5? Pffft.
Some of that is inevitable with new writers coming in and trying to find their footing. Plus I am guessing their brainstorming sessions are all being done over Zoom instead of a room where they are locked in with booze and Harmond to work on ideas. It is still a better show than most of what is out there, just having something of an off season while the new writing crew settles in. And they play both sides, bashing woke and normy in equal measure, which is a fucking unicorn rarity these days. I expect it will be a little better next season, but every fucking episode of this show has always been two or more pop culture references mashed together, even the best ones. I think it will improve next season now that they have one under their belt and some time to reflect on what worked and what did not this past season.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not sure I've ever seen a show start off good, have some shitty seasons, and then redeem itself.

Basically once the slide starts, it doesn't stop.

There have been shows that sucked to start and finally found their footing, though.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You clearly don't remember Perfect Strangers. Seasons 1 & 2 were fire. Then it went to shit beyond shit in season 3. Season 4 brought a little of the goodness back again, and it came on strong once more for season 5. Then it coasted on that goodness through season 8.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm not sure I've ever seen a show start off good, have some shitty seasons, and then redeem itself.

Basically once the slide starts, it doesn't stop.

There have been shows that sucked to start and finally found their footing, though.
Literally Dan Harmon's other show Community, and they even reference the middle season(s?) as the "gas leak" year.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Community was beautiful. All the silly episodes were perfect. Lava on the ground, paintball and the crazy perspectives of a single day. The imaginariam for Troy & Abed. God damn was that show classic.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
oooh GIF