Rick and Morty

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Maybe it's just me, but I fucking loved the Thanksgiving episode. Good shit. And the after credits scene was great also, especially the comment by the one guy in the background.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I mean it is good but it isn't what we want, we aren't seeing any more character/story progression it feels like filler and one off episodes. Vat of acid episode is a great of example of story and character progression, didn't really go anywhere but you got to see Morty tired of Ricks shit and Rick proving that his shit is always for the best.

• 1Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
But Rick and Morty was never about consistent character/story progression.
Look at the very first season, how many of those episodes are episodes that provide just that?

You have to wait until episode 6 to get to the really good stuff.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Each season usually has a few themes they repeat. We already had the Morty episode and clone episode but no Federation or Citadel, no stone/crystal one, and it seems like the President is replacing all the psychologist or Vindicator level themes.

Aside from the ship escapades the entirety of the season has been Earth-centric too.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
The first three seasons were all made out of one year deals and now that they have a long-term commitment they have to just fill a bunch of episodes and sprinkle the actual overall arc out over the next three years because they only have so much sorry to go

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The first three seasons were all made out of one year deals and now that they have a long-term commitment they have to just fill a bunch of episodes and sprinkle the actual overall arc out over the next three years because they only have so much sorry to go
Thats not true there was a video of them having roland walking into the board room drinking so he could get into character and do the story boards and be a drunk. I think it was after the first seasone they had huge success and someone wanted to film his process. Roland even drew all the falic annimation on a whiteboard wasted

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Thats not true there was a video of them having roland walking into the board room drinking so he could get into character and do the story boards and be a drunk. I think it was after the first seasone they had huge success and someone wanted to film his process. Roland even drew all the falic annimation on a whiteboard wasted

I don’t understand at all how that is related to what I posted. Did you quote the wrong person?

Homsar

I don’t understand at all how that is related to what I posted. Did you quote the wrong person?
I meant they never went into the show with seasons in mind, Roiland and harmon just wrote stuff off the top of their heads regardless of having contracts

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Did everyone else nope out on this show, or are the episodes just so uninteresting to talk about?

I rely on you all to tell me whether quitting was the correct decision.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Did everyone else nope out on this show, or are the episodes just so uninteresting to talk about?

They're just not all that interesting.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Regarding this week:

And here's the promo for the final episode this season:

Name dropping pickle rick...

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>

I quit after the captain planet episode. Until they do the main story line i aint watching.

• 1Like

Homsar

All the stories feel unoriginal, they are just parodies of whatever. I wouldnt be surprised if the writers came frome family guy

• 1Worf

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
probably mostly the same writers. it's just that they're trying to milk a depleted cow. most shows do not last beyond 4-5 seasons at best. but they try to drag it out instead to get paid rather than ending on a good note.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
All the stories feel unoriginal, they are just parodies of whatever. I wouldnt be surprised if the writers came frome family guy

It's maybe the thing that bothers me the most - the spoofs are all so surface level. It's like these people have heard of Hellraiser, Captain Planet and Voltron through cultural osmosis but don't really have anything interesting to say or do with them. There's no clever take or reconstructive elevation. Even a later episode like Rattlestar Ricklactica (the snake planet one with snake jazz) took familiar sci-fi tropes but viewed them through an absurd lens. Having a 1950s sci-fi plot with all snakes and no dialogue to then do snake Terminator with a callback to the Nth dimensional beings is something. Hellraiser cenobites like how horrible Jerry is isn't anything.

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, a LOT of this season feels like Family Guy. I wouldn't be shocked at all if there were some writer crossovers.

They seem to just be following a formulaic approach to this season, "Hey! We need an episode where Morty falls in love but something ends it in a sad way!", "Hey, we need an episode where shitloads of X animal/reptile/etc. are the focus". It has a very "paint by numbers" feel this season and I say that as someone who felt last season got way more criticism than it deserved.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users