Rift: Planes of Telara

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Like most games, the devs just didnt understand their own game. Players kept coming up with builds that were way better than they intended, so they said F it and made it so you had to go all into a specific tree to be viable.

It became a class system that offered a lot of variety, but punished you if you actually used it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Like most games, the devs just didnt understand their own game. Players kept coming up with builds that were way better than they intended, so they said F it and made it so you had to go all into a specific tree to be viable.

It became a class system that offered a lot of variety, but punished you if you actually used it.
Yup. I remember in Alpha I found a build that was giving me a 2-3 attack cycle with a rogue and using it for weeks and talking about it on the boards and finally the rogue devs was like "What you can do that?" then nerfed it to shit. Rogues were in a shit state for a very long time.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
This was Rift's biggest failing and something that should be carefully examined by other designers as part of the post mortem. The principle of near infinite diversity simply did not pan out because it boiled down to play the win spec or fail. God help you if you wanted to play a mage and your idea of 'fun' didn't include keeping track of stacking DoTs on a horrific UI. The game really needed a spell-gem like system from EQ in order to keep the number of different actively used abilities to a more reasonable number. This is something that The Secret World did which made that game far superior to Rift in terms of pick-n-choose specs. By forcing the player to prepare/slot a certain number of abilities gained from various different sources it keeps the concert pianist aspect of the game from taking over.

There were times in Rift where everyone had to be Stormcaller, and times where no one could EVER be Stormcaller and that is a complete failure on the part of the design team. There were some souls that I dont think were ever used by anyone as part of a valid build during the entire history of the game... which is sad.

Kaljin

N00b
Rift obviously is a far better game than EQ2
No, that is just your opinion and you are entitled to it. Like stated before, Rift is a shitty WOW clone, that is what is pretty obvious.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Apparently Hellbugs from Defiance have now invaded Rift. Hellbug Rifts are popping up and people can earn a hellbug as a mount.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yup. I remember in Alpha I found a build that was giving me a 2-3 attack cycle with a rogue and using it for weeks and talking about it on the boards and finally the rogue devs was like "What you can do that?" then nerfed it to shit. Rogues were in a shit state for a very long time.
It's funny how when the game was in Alpha they touted this aspect of the game. Most of their class design videos were all about how you would build your character using abilities from the three class trees you could chose from. It is sad it has devolved into the 61 point builds it has. The game sort of lost its way somehow.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's funny how when the game was in Alpha they touted this aspect of the game. Most of their class design videos were all about how you would build your character using abilities from the three class trees you could chose from. It is sad it has devolved into the 61 point builds it has. The game sort of lost its way somehow.
It just goes back to the devs not understanding different soul's abilities and how they would interact with each other. I remember as a rogue I would have to relearn a completely different rotation and play style after every major patch because of how drastic the class changes were every time. It wasn't even that you would go from a top dps build to 2nd or 3rd, it was from top dps to completely non-viable get booted from a pug level bad.

iannis

Musty Nester
Happened to mages too. Not quite as bad as rogs, we would go from top to 2nd or 3rd. But I had to rebuild every update. When they finally settled on "fuck it, make them keep 10 dots active on rotation and maintain 25% charge over prolonged raid scripts -- that'll be fun" that's when I decided I'd had enough of that. At least we had chloromancer. That soul was always OP, and when they nerfed it they just made it better.

Basically I don't understand how people that played clerics had any reason or right to bitch about anything ever.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I didn't pick up the expansion and didn't know about the 61 point tree builds.

How are Warrior DPS builds. Are they single tree ? Do they still revolve around a single spam hot key ?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I admit I only briefly touched the raiding game, but I started a mage specifically for it and hit 50 just in time for the expansion.

Just for those curious on how ridiculous the whack-a-mole dps rotation was, read and weep :p
http://exploitguild.net/pages.php?s=&page=Defilemancer

As a perfect example of the devs not in touch with their own game, my favorite build to mess around in was going high enough up both trees to pick both necro & elementalist version of 'reduce GCD of pet by 0.5'. Your pet would basically slaughter things by attacking 2-3 times a second. This of course did not jive with their new 61-points in a build or GTFO so it was nerfed.

Did they ever fix the puzzles in SL? I spent weeks trying to grind out artifacts so I could unlock it, but never even came close =\

ixian_sl

shitlord
Nope!

I have to say, I'm impressed Rift hasn't gone F2P yet. When I applied for ZAM's Rift site back during the alpha days, I said I thought the game was good but would end up being free-to-play sooner rather than later. They sure showed me!

So much for them not having plans to do that anytime soon. Hopefully this will be good for the game and bring in new blood.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I keep meaning to play this, I mean I bought it and never played it beyond the free trial.

Is there enough content to satisfy a casual noob for 1-2 months?