Rift: Planes of Telara

iannis

Musty Nester
I suspect rift's f2p model will be something underwhelmingly crappy. Their in game CS always was pretty crappy. It was more a result of poorly concieved poorly implemented policy rather than the schlub GM's being dicks. The sclub GM's were usually fairly nice. But dem rules is dem rules.

Like that time they tried to ban RMT's and bots in about the second or third month. I knew two guys at the time get banned for "having too much cash". Those guys were just auction house whores... but they got banhammered by an automatic script.

lol. One of 'em was actually korean and his response to the email was "You know, this is actually a little bit racially offensive. I would SELL the gold, not HOARD it."

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
^ its the gw2/tsw model but I suspect the updates will dry up a bit.
I really like the GW2 model for B2P; you can play the whole game with minimal purchases but spending money feels like supporting game rather than a requirement to play, ala SWTOR. Its a wholly different dynamic.

TSW I had Lifetime that the last time I logged in didn't seem to be accruing any of the benefits I was supposed to be getting.

My Justicar/Shaman/Sent was one of my favorite classes of all time. I will definitely give this a spin once F2P goes in.

spronk

FPS noob
its better than the gw2 model since there is $0 you have to put down. They are assuming there are going to be tons of people buying cosmetic stuff, xp boosts, mounts, pets, server xfers, etc in the cash shop while leaving all content open to all. neverwinter nights has a very similar system, whereas tsw/lotro/swtor require some money to have a non-shitty gaming experience.

and yeah the raptr shit definitely works, I left my trial account in game for 8 hours last night and it says if I "play" 5 more hours I'll get a free copy of the game/xpac and 30 days.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
So doing that now with the freebie account/Raptr will see you have everything you need to play the game normally with maxxed normal bagslots and char slots etc come June 12th? How the bloody hell do they make money on that...

Anyways, in like Flynn to try that if it will run on my craptop.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
So doing that now with the freebie account/Raptr will see you have everything you need to play the game normally with maxxed normal bagslots and char slots etc come June 12th?How the bloody hell do they make money on that...

Anyways, in like Flynn to try that if it will run on my craptop.
I have no idea, and all you need to do to get the expansion for free is leave it at the character select screen for 16 hours (I believe that's the current requirement). I left rift open at the char select over night and racked up 6 hours while I slept.

Lenwen

Silver Squire
Just wanted to confirm that the raptr promo does work. I just unlocked my cd key, as well as other cosmetic unlocks.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Paying to have to play the game less. Luls.
Lets be serious, if Blizzard rolled this out right now people would buy them in DROVES for less grind on some of their more retarded reps.

Rift if offering (currently with known information) nearly their full game for free and IF you sub, cool bro we'll throw in some potions that decrease the grind of things!

Full disclosure, I haven't played rift on a sub for about a year or so, likely longer. I just un-subbed from WoW last month.

So when you say "paying to have to play the game less" I kinda wonder what part of "Most of the game is free" pisses you off the most.

Let's make it a more relatable statement, if riot started offering exper..oh wait...

Hmm, if everquest 1 and 2 started offering experience...Fucking google damnit them too?

OH, Guildwars 2, if THEY started offering experience...wait sec...http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Boost

Man this is pretty hard, hey do you happen to know of a game offhand that is free that doesn't offer some kind of boosts for sale in their in-game market?

spronk

FPS noob
Just wanted to confirm that the raptr promo does work. I just unlocked my cd key, as well as other cosmetic unlocks.
rapt gave my launch rift account a copy of the storm legion xpac but i didn't get 30 free days. don't really give a shit since i'm not going to play until game goes f2p but if you are gonna raptr, may wanna apply it to a brand new trial account if you wanna play right now

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Yeah I saw some grumbling elsewhere about that, sounds like it originally gave 30 days to any account but now it's just for new accounts. A free expac is still better than a poke in the eye for people who have characters they don't want to lose.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I saw some grumbling elsewhere about that, sounds like it originally gave 30 days to any account but now it's just for new accounts. A free expac is still better than a poke in the eye for people who have characters they don't want to lose.
I assume you mean that if you have a ton of characters from rift originally, you don't lose them you just can't make more. I don't think it'll be like SWTOR where they force you to pick X characters to play.

spronk

FPS noob
thats a real bummer, but it was hard to see how they were paying the bills with the cost of defiance and the mediocre reception it and rift xpac got. It sounds like they want to turn into an asian MMO->West publishing house, but that hasn't worked out well for Blue Hole (TERA). If even Trion can't make a "good" MMO with their dev team, makes ya wonder.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
I assume you mean that if you have a ton of characters from rift originally, you don't lose them you just can't make more. I don't think it'll be like SWTOR where they force you to pick X characters to play.
I more meant if you don't want to make a completely new account so as to get 30 free days to get you through to the f2p launch in a month or so.

It doesn't run very well on my craptop so I'm just going to get the expac etc sorted on the account and wait until I get a proper PC sorted.

I hear there is a rogue flamethrower spec now?!

I hear there is a rogue flamethrower spec now?!
The new soul is Tactician. It was awesomely OP until it was nerfed, still decent for what it is (and the best rogue soloing soul).

Also, the layoffs are from the Defiance team, not the Rift team (according to the article anyway).

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Seriously dev studios need to stop getting into bed with media studios it only ends poorly on average. You will only make an average game and if you manage to somehow tie it into the story of the show then you will get a FEW subs. As soon as the show ends, what then? Does the game continue to deliver on the lore of the show? I mean of all the shows that came before I don't understand how a halfassed planetside type game is chosen as the "go-to" game. Why would people play Planetside Lite when planetside 2 is already free.