Rift: Planes of Telara

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
There are 90 levels in Rift PvP and I am at level 81. I like PvP in Rift but there is s some big issues with it. The first big issue is that over the last couple of years DPS has been nerfed, and nerfed, and nerfed and healing has remained mostly steady. So healing has been out of whack comparatively to DPS for awhile. The new souls Trion dropped for Rift are a rouge healing soul, a warrior healing soul, a mage tank, and a cleric bard type (buffing) soul. Now because Trion needs people to buy these soul packs they are way better than anything else. The warrior healing is the best AoE heals in game, the rouge healer is best ST heals in game and is a literally specc'd out with a 2 button macro, the mage tank is the best tanks oul atm, and the cleric bard spec is by far the best support role.

So now in PvP we have two button rogues running around dumping massive ST heals on people and it is impossible to kill anyone with fewer than three people or more on a target. Full rank 90 gear and weapons with a pure DPS PvP spec cannot take down anyone alone with the amount of healing thrown around. I can't express strongly enough how fucked healing is in Warfronts. Rogue healing has dwarfed the previous numbers in healing for Warfronts and PvP. 2+ rogue healers on the other team pretty much means you need to focus on objectives and not worry about the kill counts.

Trion is getting ready to make some massive announcement on PvP in the coming weeks. So far no hint has been made towards what it will be. I love Rift it's a fun game but their weakest spot is PvP by far. If you're looking for a pure PvP game don't come here. If you're looking for an MMO with enough PvP to keep you busy for awhile you would likely do well.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
There are 90 levels in Rift PvP and I am at level 81. I like PvP in Rift but there is s some big issues with it. The first big issue is that over the last couple of years DPS has been nerfed, and nerfed, and nerfed and healing has remained mostly steady. So healing has been out of whack comparatively to DPS for awhile. The new souls Trion dropped for Rift are a rouge healing soul, a warrior healing soul, a mage tank, and a cleric bard type (buffing) soul. Now because Trion needs people to buy these soul packs they are way better than anything else. The warrior healing is the best AoE heals in game, the rouge healer is best ST heals in game and is a literally specc'd out with a 2 button macro, the mage tank is the best tanks oul atm, and the cleric bard spec is by far the best support role.

So now in PvP we have two button rogues running around dumping massive ST heals on people and it is impossible to kill anyone with fewer than three people or more on a target. Full rank 90 gear and weapons with a pure DPS PvP spec cannot take down anyone alone with the amount of healing thrown around. I can't express strongly enough how fucked healing is in Warfronts. Rogue healing has dwarfed the previous numbers in healing for Warfronts and PvP. 2+ rogue healers on the other team pretty much means you need to focus on objectives and not worry about the kill counts.

Trion is getting ready to make some massive announcement on PvP in the coming weeks. So far no hint has been made towards what it will be. I love Rift it's a fun game but their weakest spot is PvP by far. If you're looking for a pure PvP game don't come here. If you're looking for an MMO with enough PvP to keep you busy for awhile you would likely do well.
Thanks! Very helpful. If you PvP, are you working on gear and such that is only useful in PvP or can you pretty well develop your character and PvE, Raid, etc. without switching everything out? If I remember correctly, if you PvP'd you have PvP souls and items that were pretty much only useful in PvP. Maybe I'm remembering something else?

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
PvP gear is worthless save for PvP for the most part. Having said that the best in game slot item for a sigil (item slot piece that holds six essences) is the PvP sigil because it has endurance on it (55 I think). So I have 3 one for PvP, one for tank spec, and one for DPS spec. That 55 end goes quite far actually. Additionally until you get a raid a raid level trinket the PvP one is likely very good for PvE depending on your role. It also has a ton of HP on it. So if you're a little shy of HP very AoE intensive raids (like Regulos in Endless Eclipse) you might pop that on for another 500hp or more. With PvP currencies you can also buy some mounts which is nice once you have gotten all your gear. The best bag in the game is bought with a mix of pvp currency and dungeon currency.

Some people hate the PvP/PvE overlap. I don't as it helps keep the PvP in full swing. Queue times for PvP will be around a minute (at PvE level 60). So it's busy enough.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
You sound like you play PvP primarily but do you PvE at all? Do you open world PvP any? Just curious if you are PvP'ing and decide to go on a raid, what do you do before heading out to a dungeon/raid? Change all your gear? spec? anything at all? Honestly, I'm a little tired of the complexity of MMO's. One reason I liked EQMac and Project1999, I had a class, it's purpose, it's gear, and it's spells. Very linear. I have theorycrafted and experimented so much in D3, LoL, and MMO's, I really just wanna chill and have a good time with some pick up groups and maybe some buddies I bring along the way.

I apologize for all the noob questions. Down day at work so I have some time to research while I watch progress bars go by.

Also, how steep of a learning curve would there be? Any particular server we should look for?

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Now because Trion needs people to buy these soul packs they are way better than anything else. The warrior healing is the best AoE heals in game, the rouge healer is best ST heals in game and is a literally specc'd out with a 2 button macro,the mage tank is the best tanks soulatm, and the cleric bard spec is by far the best support role.
I do not even play the game any more but if a mage is the best tank in the game I think I may throw up.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Mulligan:

I PvE primarily I just happen to also PvP a decent amount. Open world PvP is non-existent except for the daily PvP quests. Even then most people run right by eachother. The open world PvP server is Seastone and by all accounts there is very little open world PvP. You can't get into a dungeon with PvP gear let alone a raid. The stats for PvP and PvE are completely different minus the basic attribute stats like Strength, Dexterity etc. I run with guildies all the time for everything because I belong to a massive guild that always is doing something. Usually I tank dungeons so I change specs from a solo or pvp spec or whatever i was doing to my dedicated tank spec (I have three but primarily run one for dungeons and raiding). If someone else is tanking I'll hit up my DPS spec (of which I have two but primarily use one). I have saved equipment slots so I use the /loadequip 1 5 or 9 command to switch to the armor set I want and swap out specific piece or two depending on exactly what I am doing. This entire process takes 15 seconds. Maybe 30.

If you don't want to theory craft you can get away with just using stock specs or getting the latest and greatest form the forum. But Rift roles are complicated. Any idiot can faceroll their way to a decent DPS provided they understand how their gear works and have a decent spec. You want to be a top 10% guy that everyone depends on that requires intimate knowledge of your specs and your gear and probably other specs. In addition to understanding the basic premise of the other souls at your disposal in a broader sense. Rift is not the game for linear thought. Ther eis multiple paths to do everything in Rift. Some may be different shades of the same color but it is what it is.

The learning curve is not even close to Eve but it is harder than EQ, EQ2, WoW (especially current WoW). If you really want to avoid anything complicated I'd say don't come over. I haven't been playing Rift on and off since it released because it sucks though. So there is that.

Greyform_sl said:
I do not even play the game any more but if a mage is the best tank in the game I think I may throw up.
It's arguable that mage tanking is the "best" but the good part is that mage mitigation is very reliant on active abilities. You have to think about what you're doing and when. Their aggro control is just a gimme though based on what I understand of it (I haven't played it). Warrior Paladin mitigation is best in the game as far as I know but aggro is a bitch especially AoE aggro. Rogues have the best HP total and aggro is good but tend to be a bit squishier. They have some very neat abilities too (like their teleporting is very handy). Cleric tanks are good mit and HP and aggro but best at none. They can hold range aggro though which is critical for some fights. I imagine mages can probably tank at range as well though I am not positive on that. Mages have the most fun melee spec too which I have played. Harbinger spec is very cool. Too bad Trion absolutely hates melee combat.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Mulligan:

I PvE primarily I just happen to also PvP a decent amount. Open world PvP is non-existent except for the daily PvP quests. Even then most people run right by eachother. The open world PvP server is Seastone and by all accounts there is very little open world PvP. You can't get into a dungeon with PvP gear let alone a raid. The stats for PvP and PvE are completely different minus the basic attribute stats like Strength, Dexterity etc. I run with guildies all the time for everything because I belong to a massive guild that always is doing something. Usually I tank dungeons so I change specs from a solo or pvp spec or whatever i was doing to my dedicated tank spec (I have three but primarily run one for dungeons and raiding). If someone else is tanking I'll hit up my DPS spec (of which I have two but primarily use one). I have saved equipment slots so I use the /loadequip 1 5 or 9 command to switch to the armor set I want and swap out specific piece or two depending on exactly what I am doing. This entire process takes 15 seconds. Maybe 30.

If you don't want to theory craft you can get away with just using stock specs or getting the latest and greatest form the forum. But Rift roles are complicated. Any idiot can faceroll their way to a decent DPS provided they understand how their gear works and have a decent spec. You want to be a top 10% guy that everyone depends on that requires intimate knowledge of your specs and your gear and probably other specs. In addition to understanding the basic premise of the other souls at your disposal in a broader sense. Rift is not the game for linear thought. Ther eis multiple paths to do everything in Rift. Some may be different shades of the same color but it is what it is.

The learning curve is not even close to Eve but it is harder than EQ, EQ2, WoW (especially current WoW). If you really want to avoid anything complicated I'd say don't come over. I haven't been playing Rift on and off since it released because it sucks though. So there is that.

It's arguable that mage tanking is the "best" but the good part is that mage mitigation is very reliant on active abilities. You have to think about what you're doing and when. Their aggro control is just a gimme though based on what I understand of it (I haven't played it). Warrior Paladin mitigation is best in the game as far as I know but aggro is a bitch especially AoE aggro. Rogues have the best HP total and aggro is good but tend to be a bit squishier. They have some very neat abilities too (like their teleporting is very handy). Cleric tanks are good mit and HP and aggro but best at none. They can hold range aggro though which is critical for some fights. I imagine mages can probably tank at range as well though I am not positive on that. Mages have the most fun melee spec too which I have played. Harbinger spec is very cool. Too bad Trion absolutely hates melee combat.
Thanks again for the info and the time. It sounds interesting, I really got into Rift upon release but after about 6 months I just hit a wall of nothingness. I think i'm just MMO and maybe even game fatigued. My group of friends have been gaming ADHD lately and we've played probably 5 games in 2 months, PS2, D3, P99, LoL, etc. and none them (except D3 when the expansion released) lasted more than a week or two. I may pop into Rift once more info comes out on PvP. Supposedly they are announcing something soon? Been waiting on H1Z1 to get me through the summer but who knows what its problem has been not to mention work has been crazy.

Again, thanks for the info. I'll keep reading and maybe see you in game.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I used to raid pretty competivitly in Rift and the one thing from day 1 to the day I quit and even when I came back for a short stint that I always laughed at was the extreme skill gaps between alot of melee/ranged classes vs mages. Mages had to work so hard to compete on the dps side of things, sure at times they were the kings and other times they were lucky to be 10% within the top dps but no matter what the top spec in most mages during those times were always extremely tightly tuned dot timing combined with intricate rotations and situational on the fly decisions. Don't get me wrong, I loved it in a sick sort of way but god damn during some of those days you truly had to be perfect to match a 1-2 button macro melee/ranged. I did enjoy the raids, always a pretty damn good challenge.

Outside the day I had to leave Vanguard once it finally settled in that the game wasn't going to be properly supported, the saddest day in my MMO life damn near was when they changed chloromancers from having their heals be primarily reflective of their dps output to a more simple static heal component. I loved it because it really differentiated people and it just fit my play style so well (wizard since 1999, pew pew) and I had so much fun. Our other 2 main chloro's couldn't get within 30% of my dps & hps and I was posting through put in the top 3 in NA and then they lowered the boom and I said fuck that noise! Outside of the blood mage in VG the original Chloromancer was probably hands down my favorite class to play in the last 15 years and normally am not a healer fan. Fuck you Trion, fuck you!

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Mulligan_sl said:
Again, thanks for the info. I'll keep reading and maybe see you in game.
I'm Tanan on Wolfsbane. If you decide to stick around I am in an awesome guild that will keep you busy doing dungeons (every day), raids (5 days a week. Progression on 3 nights and farm on 2), and pvp premades (every day). It's seriously a lot of fun. The expansion is coming in Octoberish so it's a good time to come and get 60. The gear reset is insignificant in some ways. Max level gear now will carry people into level 65 dungeons which is cool (IMO). Anyway send me a /tell and say hi.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Rift PVP was always fun, but also shit, because rift's engine is shit. It's just an inferior warcraft, not smooth at all. Also the day they killed saboteurs is the day they killed pvp.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Clerics have best aoe aggro by far and a battle res so they're pretty badass. Them and Mage are easily the two best tanks

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Cleric AoE aggro has been nerfed since they reduced or took away a heal ability (I don't play cleric tanks and I can't ask any of the raid ones at this moment as they aren't on yet). They may still be best AoE aggro but it isn't face roll easy they actually have to press a button now.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Not the power as much as they can gain threat on an unlimited number of enemies at an unlimited range.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Cleric AoE aggro has been nerfed since they reduced or took away a heal ability (I don't play cleric tanks and I can't ask any of the raid ones at this moment as they aren't on yet). They may still be best AoE aggro but it isn't face roll easy they actually have to press a button now.
I was really thinking about stepping outside the box (i've said this a million times and I end up playing a cleric) and rolling a ranger/bard type. I've played a cleric religiously since 1999 in a dozen of MMO's and would like to switch it up but it sounds like clerics are very good and pretty versatile. Any insight on classes?

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Now that warriors have AoE heals can they add it to a tank soul and use it to create agro? Not even sure why I asked sounds like I would have a pretty good grind from level 50 if I chose to return. But I am really looking for something to play again.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Mulligan_sl said:
I was really thinking about stepping outside the box (i've said this a million times and I end up playing a cleric) and rolling a ranger/bard type. I've played a cleric religiously since 1999 in a dozen of MMO's and would like to switch it up but it sounds like clerics are very good and pretty versatile. Any insight on classes?
Ranger is best DPS on ranged for rogues which is pretty close to everyone else on DPS (minus a warrior spec being nerfed either next Wednesday or the one after). Bards are great for raids not so good soloing or dungeons. Rogue role that is completely OP atm is Rogue healing. And i mean OP as hell. The nerf bat is going to fall on them eventually but it is one of the new souls so it won't be nerfed hard. Clerics are Trion's darling. They have never spent their time on the bottom of the pile I don't think. For awhile in DPS they had issues I think. But they have been on top or middle for the vast majority of the time.

Everyone can do everything now. It's both good and bad. The holy trinity exists but everyone can be any corner of the trinity. If you choose to be a DPS and not tank or heal it's your own fault if your dungeon queue's are 40 minutes long.

Greyform_sl said:
Now that warriors have AoE heals can they add it to a tank soul and use it to create agro? Not even sure why I asked sounds like I would have a pretty good grind from level 50 if I chose to return. But I am really looking for something to play again.
No only because the warrior trees used for tanking are critical for mitigation and hit points. You can't just go off somewhere else without completely destroying your ability to tank effectively. If you're very over geared you could do it likely at that point it doesn't matter.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Whats a good solo cleric spec for survivability plus decent damage? i remember way back before SL seeing clerics prance around unkillable while levelling.

Also mage tank is OP? I may need to reconsider my gearing plans.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
You have to go fairly far up the Liberator tree to get the decent warrior AoE heals, so it's probably not worth it.

Most of what's been posted is spot on regarding PvP. I too am rank 81. There is no world PvP, except for rogue teams shard swapping off their lonely pvp server to find people to gank in the pvp daily quest areas. I enjoy warfronts for what they are. 61 Warlord with a 1.0 GCD (standard is 1.5) feels very interactive. There can be too many healers, but lately 9/10 warfronts dont have enough on my side, so I switch to heals.

As for switching pve/pvp gear and roles, you can literally macro it, such as
/role 1
/loadequip 1
/karuulalert set=1

That last one is a ridiculously handy add on, you can configure buffs, timers, etc. I use it to maintain the 60 sec warlord buffs, and see which buffs have been purged on me in pvp (hint: all of them :*( )