RIFT

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Have you done the "planetouched wilds" zone? It was introduced last year and is free to play. Its a big lvl65 zone if you have chars at max. Lvl 1-65 content is free so i dont see what costs you are referring to. You dont need to buy the extra souls or the primalist...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I am casually playing, new expansion is ok but sort of barebones. It looks good but not much substance, only a few new dungeons. Raids and last zone haven't been released yet.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I only started playing this for the first time towards the end of the summer. I just recently hit lvl 57 so I'm still playing catch up. The expansion seemed aimed at 65+ so I haven't bothered to buy it yet.

Was hoping to try one of the dungeons (for example, Frozen Temple in Dusken) but never see anyone else around. I'm assuming everyone is in the new expansion content? Is there any reason to go back to older content with the way the game is designed?

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Not really since you can level with quests and Instant/Intrepid adventures - the most common way to level now other than PL or boost, unless you can find people leveling who actually want to see the content. I would occasionally see people in one of the level range channels asking if people want to do them and you can try to queue and hope for the best, but the low level game is kind of dead unfortunately (pvp too).

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Have you done the "planetouched wilds" zone? It was introduced last year and is free to play. Its a big lvl65 zone if you have chars at max. Lvl 1-65 content is free so i dont see what costs you are referring to. You dont need to buy the extra souls or the primalist...

Huh? Obviously I was talking about the new expansion

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I would probably come back and play this casually again if the extra souls weren't so goddamn expensive. I'm an altoholic and buildoholic and don't want to pay $100 just for a few sub-classes but I want to PLAY with those sub-classes :p

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I would probably come back and play this casually again if the extra souls weren't so goddamn expensive. I'm an altoholic and buildoholic and don't want to pay $100 just for a few sub-classes but I want to PLAY with those sub-classes :p
yeah, the cost barrier for new or old returning players is way too steep. i wish they would allow players total access, purchasing expansions notwithstanding, to everything: slots, souls, etc.as part of the their sub. They can still leave the buy options for the folks who want to remain free-to-play. I know i could get more of my friends to play if that was the case.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Every time I debate going back I look and it's 90 bucks to get current and my "nope" meter goes off.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
If you were a founder and/or purchased the vanilla box there's a good chance you have quite a bit of the game unlocked even if you haven't touched it since then. You get loyalty credit for every $ you've spent so if you bought the original box and subbed a couple of months you'll have things like bags, AH and other stuff unlocked, plus you should have enough loyalty to buy a couple other "essential" unlocks.

The game is pretty dead below the current expansion but I was pleasantly surprised at how much of the game was available for free considering I only played ~5 months in 2011 (I just got the 6 month loyalty reward during the free paragon month as part of the welcome back promotion).

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I dunno if they upped the rewards but I played the game on initial release and for over a year after, and when I came back after it was F2P for a bit I had basically diddly for free shit. Certainly nothing more than I last had when I logged off, aside from some of the new content that I believe everyone got.

Not that I would insist that because I played and subbed from day 1 I should get all the Xpac / Souls free but they're just insanely expensive for no reason and it's absolutely a barrier of re-entry for me. And this is coming from someone that's spent money on F2P mobile games and skins on LoL since forever ago :p But I recognize fucking unreasonable when I see it.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I dunno if they upped the rewards but I played the game on initial release and for over a year after, and when I came back after it was F2P for a bit I had basically diddly for free shit. Certainly nothing more than I last had when I logged off, aside from some of the new content that I believe everyone got.

Not that I would insist that because I played and subbed from day 1 I should get all the Xpac / Souls free but they're just insanely expensive for no reason and it's absolutely a barrier of re-entry for me. And this is coming from someone that's spent money on F2P mobile games and skins on LoL since forever ago :p But I recognize fucking unreasonable when I see it.
Current patron benefits:
  • Affinity login rewards
  • Daily and weekly login rewards
  • Extra daily quests
  • artifact tracking
  • weekly bonus charges for dungeons and warfronts (+3)
  • 40% bonus exp, reputation, notoriety, favor, prestige
  • 5% exp bonus on minion adventures
  • Fast pass teleporter (30 minute cooldown)
  • Summon banker, guild banker, and trainer
  • faster mount speed
  • priority login
  • Soul vitality loss immunity (new)
  • 50% reductions to AH fees (new)
  • Stacking charges for dungeons, IA and WF up to 7 (new)
  • accumulate rest exp (new)
  • queuing for specific dungeons (new) - this on pissed the community off pretty bad
If you aren't a patron you can only queue for random dungeons and warfronts so you have to continually random them to get the one you may need - this caused a lot of people to quit, or least dump their patron status. As far as content, you get access to all of the zones except the new expansion and get the base souls. You have to buy additional souls, primalist class, earrings and rings, access to gear from nightmare tide, etc. It's one of the best F2P models early on until you get to end game where you hit a paywall very fast.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you aren't a patron you can only queue for random dungeons and warfronts so you have to continually random them to get the one you may need - this caused a lot of people to quit, or least dump their patron status. As far as content, you get access to all of the zones except the new expansion and get the base souls. You have to buy additional souls, primalist class, earrings and rings, access to gear from nightmare tide, etc. It's one of the best F2P models early on until you get to end game where you hit a paywall very fast.

Part of the problem was I was already endgame with at least one character before F2P came out, but I only really cared about trying different builds out and doing heroic(whatever they are called in Rift) dungeons for fun. And patron isn't something you get for having previously purchased the game, right? It's only if you keep subscribing. So it didn't really feel like I had anything to show I HAD been subscribing (and bought) the game in the first place, and then the very few things I care about (souls, classes) are priced beyond crazy range.

A lot of those "benefits" do look pretty dumb though. Can see why people would quit over it, although I'm pretty sure I used to do random dungeons anyway. Like, I still have the urge to come back and play, even with dozens of games lined up to play this year and a ton of other stuff going on, the game just worked for me, their dumb pricing for souls did not though.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, patron is monthly sub however you can buy REX (Rift Exchange from other players which can be converted to store currency which you can buy patron with). Yeah a lot of people quit because of it, the issue with the random dungeon is if you had a quest that required a specific dungeon, you had to keep queuing for randoms until you got the one you wanted. But no, it's not really worth what you get.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I liked messing with builds too but the only way to get a dungeon in under two hours was to go chloromancer and hope the group was strong enough to make up for the limited healing power.

This was also around the time they made healing so powerful in PVP that you could go an entire warzone without anyone dying, heh.

The TANKHEALDEEPS specs certain classes had at various points in the game made PVP old REAL fucking fast.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I liked messing with builds too but the only way to get a dungeon in under two hours was to go chloromancer and hope the group was strong enough to make up for the limited healing power.

This was also around the time they made healing so powerful in PVP that you could go an entire warzone without anyone dying, heh.

The TANKHEALDEEPS specs certain classes had at various points in the game made PVP old REAL fucking fast.
Did you ever get a chance to play the relatively new Frostkeeper mage healing soul? So fucking OP, could legitimately facetank 3-5 good players in WF and live, got nerfed quite a few times. Amazing single target healing with an ability very to WoW Paladin's beacon of light.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Did you ever get a chance to play the relatively new Frostkeeper mage healing soul? So fucking OP, could legitimately facetank 3-5 good players in WF and live, got nerfed quite a few times. Amazing single target healing with an ability very to WoW Paladin's beacon of light.

Nope, I didn't last long past Storm Legion and the world's most painful MMO leveling ever. Only ever raided in vanilla.

Funny that they got a strong single heal spec since that was chloro's achillies. Sounds like I missed out on Frostkeeper/Warlock PVP godhood?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Tanking in vanilla Rift was fun. For single target, hold down one button. For aoe, hold down other button. Charge, two death grip cooldowns, and bloodlust.

Pal/Void/Champ I think?