RIFT

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Fuck supporting this after that shit show of an expansion

What happened? I learned my lesson after their first expansion, where probably 1 of 3 main storyline quests would bug out and not let you progress, then when you do finally complete it after GM intervention 3 times, it just sort of peters off with no real ending, like they ran out of time.

The PvP was entertaining for a while though, especially with no cooldowns on abilities to summon players to you ;)

Reht

Molten Core Raider
What happened? I learned my lesson after their first expansion, where probably 1 of 3 main storyline quests would bug out and not let you progress, then when you do finally complete it after GM intervention 3 times, it just sort of peters off with no real ending, like they ran out of time.

The PvP was entertaining for a while though, especially with no cooldowns on abilities to summon players to you ;)
It was half finished contest-wise, mostly broken otherwise. They would release a new feature either with or after release, find out how broken it was and remove it for weeks, months, etc. When it released it released with like 5 zones, 1 dungeon (added another and scaled a third), an instant adventure/planar assault (which had problems and were temporarily removed if i remember correctly), no raids (came in 4.1). It was a shitshow, made EQ's The Broken Mirror expansion look polished.

Last edited:

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Introducing RIFT Prime
In the Spring of 2018, we will launch a new server, RIFT Prime. We’ve paid a lot of attention in discussions with all of you and within the broader gaming community regarding business models in the MMO and games industry as a whole.

We have the opportunity to experiment with this fresh RIFT server using an oft-requested subscription model and progressively unlocked content. Our goal for RIFT Prime is to provide the experience that many of you have requested: no lockboxes, a significantly reduced store with more of the current store-based items obtained through gameplay (or removed entirely) – plus the excitement of sequential progression through RIFT’s content with monthly milestones and achievements.

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
Introducing RIFT Prime
In the Spring of 2018, we will launch a new server, RIFT Prime. We’ve paid a lot of attention in discussions with all of you and within the broader gaming community regarding business models in the MMO and games industry as a whole.

We have the opportunity to experiment with this fresh RIFT server using an oft-requested subscription model and progressively unlocked content. Our goal for RIFT Prime is to provide the experience that many of you have requested: no lockboxes, a significantly reduced store with more of the current store-based items obtained through gameplay (or removed entirely) – plus the excitement of sequential progression through RIFT’s content with monthly milestones and achievements.

Interesting

I dug Rift early on and still go back to it every now and then but the cash shop is obnoxious as fuck

Might give it a whirl

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I had almost forgotten about Rift until someone talked about macroing a warrior thing yesterday. Had no idea about the loot boxes or how prevalent they went with that shit. I loved Alpha, retail.. meh. Its too bad the games f'n dead to most people.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Korrupt Korrupt

RIFT Prime, "might" worth checking it out bro.

2011-05-14_001734.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Introducing RIFT Prime

This is totally going to sucker me in until Hammerknell clear at least. I loved HK and the nostalgia on it is strong.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Really enjoyed Rift early on and even through the first expansion before it became the piece of shit that it is today

• 1Solidarity

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I had a lot of fun in early RIFT but man that game turned into a shit show. I went back and played one of the expansions where they raised the level cap and it was really bad.

Look at Szeth Szeth in his young prime too

Thats the 10 man we got like world third right? (with the "B" team /scoff)

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Played in beta, seemed solid but at the time I had no desire to play anything close to an MMO. Will this progression server be worth a play through? Does it look like the game will be close to what it originally was, to make it, "not shit" like you guys are claiming it is now?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Played in beta, seemed solid but at the time I had no desire to play anything close to an MMO. Will this progression server be worth a play through? Does it look like the game will be close to what it originally was, to make it, "not shit" like you guys are claiming it is now?

Hard to say if it'll be worth it without nostalgia glasses on. It should definitely fix the main problem with the current game which is p2win, loot boxes, and pushing out expansions that are so unready they'd make Smedley cringe

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Hard to say if it'll be worth it without nostalgia glasses on. It should definitely fix the main problem with the current game which is p2win, loot boxes, and pushing out expansions that are so unready they'd make Smedley cringe
Ability bloat isn't too awful (not a EQ2 bad at least)?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Ability bloat isn't too awful (not a EQ2 bad at least)?

No, doesn't exist at all. They went the WoW route and just updated current abilities instead of just adding more and more as the game went on. They initially had a crazy macro system where some classes could do their entire rotation just mashing 1 or 2 buttons. They went away from that as the game went on, but not sure how that's going to be addressed on the new server.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Ah yes, Rift. Game had incredible potential but launched with MAJOR balance issues. My 3-4 man team all server firsted top Mage/Warrior/Rogue PVP rank 1. Pyro build just exploded everyone while sitting in their dumb circle. Assassin/Nightblade could fight 4 people at a time with 18 seconds of invulnerability and 4 second silence nonstop. Our warrior had all his skills set to 1 button he just spammed and he would fight entire teams at their spawn and never die. We also server firsted most crafting, lvl 50, and that one dungeon with the fucking dragon. We didn't get the server first kill on the dragon, but then got server first kill on every item we looted and the quest completion. Was weird. Think we have a video of us doing it actually.

We never really raided, we tried to do Greenscale or whatever the fuck, but most people at that time just cheezed it by offhanding two handed staffs and super healing. Sad. Their fucking class system had INCREDIBLE potential and if they had kept up with the rift world events to make them worthwhile and raid-worthy they could've held up much better. But their build system let you do whatever the fuck you wanted. Had a rogue on our server specced especially for flag running. No one could stop him except me as I was a rogue and I had to figure out his build. He was some hunter/riftwalker build with insane movement and CC immunity and TP's and shit. It was amazing. The fact that he managed to do that himself and become the best at one niche in the game because he worked at it was pretty cool.

I think Rift, had it kept it's population up (I think like two new MMO's came out that destroyed it relatively quickly) and released more polished content it could've truly been something.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I think Rift, had it kept it's population up (I think like two new MMO's came out that destroyed it relatively quickly) and released more polished content it could've truly been something.

Most people left for SWTOR and then just never returned after that one crashed and burned

Reht

Molten Core Raider
They initially had a crazy macro system where some classes could do their entire rotation just mashing 1 or 2 buttons. They went away from that as the game went on, but not sure how that's going to be addressed on the new server.
You could still do that with quite a few builds right up to right before or around the time Starfall/We got sued expansion launched (think it was the patch before it - last patch before maybe) but still can be done with a few classes. Lost my favorite PL build - 1 button Saboteur. I have still have a 1 button Cleric Shaman and Primalist and two 2 button builds - Mage Elementalist and Pyromancer that work now.