RIFT

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah this is pretty lame. Seems like most feedback from the actual Rift "community" is along these lines also. Maybe they'll take note of it and decide to keep it around. As someone who didn't play much Rift, I'd be interested in a legit progression/permanent non-F2P server.
I am baffled at these kind of responses that I am seeing.

Do none of the RIFT players understand what a progression server is?

From what I am reading they are copying the format that every other game that has done this is doing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So as someone who hasnt played progression servers for dead games before, what would the point of having a permanent one be? Wont they eventually just catch up with live...then what?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So as someone who hasnt played progression servers for dead games before, what would the point of having a permanent one be? Wont they eventually just catch up with live...then what?
There is no point in doing that. You are now “live”.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Am I a retard? Im not getting this.

So I would pay 15 bucks a month to play Rift as it was "day 1" and then slowly trickle all the content for a year, is that right? So 7 years of content smashed into time releases over 12 months. Then when t hat finishes and Im up to current content, the server will just merge into a live one thats been on current content for a long time.

Why would I just create a new free account and play through it all over time? Am I misunderstanding how this will play out?

and I agree, who cares what server you are on in name when its the same content. Other than maybe being top dawg on a server and then merging and falling behind people who have been on live content longer...but even then who cares?

WHAT DONT I GET

I played this game very early but not launch, but my months playing overlapped with the first raids I think, and then the first content releases which I think was like some north east side of the continent and had some underwater dogs or something. I cant remember.

Loved this game and loved the PVP. Not sure why I stopped playing back then. I know I was pretty much done with it and then my account got hacked and someone stole all my shit. Then I moved to star wars....maybe that was why.

If this is truly just playing the game as it was at launch I would love this.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

There's absolutely zero point to it being permanent. People complaining about it have no idea wtf they're talking about

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

From what I am reading they are copying the format that every other game that has done this is doing.

I don't think it's so much about keeping it permanently locked to old content, as it is just having a permanent subscription-only server. People make it sound like the F2P stuff, and cash shop is extremely intrusive. I personally have no idea though.

Endymion

Trakanon Raider

I think it's just a matter of mixed messaging. They're advertising it as a premium server with a reduced cash shop in order to lure back people who might have been put off by the F2P of the regular servers, but it's also an accelerated progression server where your character will be deleted at the end of it (not brought over to the existing servers) and all you'll have to show is some cosmetic / achievement stuff on the live servers.

Edit: It should also be noted that Rift has had quite a bit of recycled content throughout its life span that makes a progression server less interesting, as well.

Last edited:

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't think it's so much about keeping it permanently locked to old content, as it is just having a permanent subscription-only server. People make it sound like the F2P stuff, and cash shop is extremely intrusive. I personally have no idea though.

That's not really any different than just having a subscription on any of the live servers.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Trion Worlds: We hear you. We know what you want! You want servers loaded with peanut butter, jew jew beans, a pinch of asparagus, and of course fire ants!

Player Base: Ummm, WTF are you guys do....

Trion Worlds: And we will charge for it!!! Ehhhhhh? Ehhhhhhh? How you like them apples? No need to thank us!

• 1Worf

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
That's not really any different than just having a subscription on any of the live servers.

That was my initial reaction. It kinda sounded like you could buy high-end gear, or gear in general etc with cash shop purchases? Or just items in general that make the game dramatically easier. If that's the case then I can see some of the want for an exclusive server. If not, and the actual "in-game items" you can buy aren't actually high end or have major impact on progression, then those people are retarded.

Looking at it more it sounds like people would rather fuck around in the original version of Rift for a year, rather than ever play the live version. It's a shame the current version of the game is THAT bad.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
That was my initial reaction. It kinda sounded like you could buy high-end gear, or gear in general etc with cash shop purchases? Or just items in general that make the game dramatically easier. If that's the case then I can see some of the want for an exclusive server. If not, and the actual "in-game items" you can buy aren't actually high end or have major impact on progression, then those people are retarded.

Looking at it more it sounds like people would rather fuck around in the original version of Rift for a year, rather than ever play the live version. It's a shame the current version of the game is THAT bad.

As of last time I played, you could buy up to 2nd tier raid gear with cash but it was ridiculously expensive. For example, the weapon was around $100.

That's not why the cash shop sucks, though. If someone wants to spend $1k to not even have top end stuff then whatever. It's the ridiculously expensive loot boxes to have a 5% at getting the mount or whatever it is you actually want that's dumb.

They also had things like earring slot or certain flagged items you could pay to use, or spend months grinding in order to buy with in game currency. Before that, you could play completely free and actually progress at a good pace. The hard 180 it's done since then is part of the backlash.

• 1Like

Reht

Molten Core Raider
They also made other changes like you can't choose the dungeon you want to run if you are F2P, you just random and hope you get the one the your quest is on, among other annoying shit changes.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
There's absolutely zero point to it being permanent. People complaining about it have no idea wtf they're talking about

isnt the problem that at the end of the year the server and your character get deleted? I think they just want a perm server they can play on with the character they just maxed out.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
isnt the problem that at the end of the year the server and your character get deleted? I think they just want a perm server they can play on with the character they just maxed out.

Hadn't read that they were talking about deleting the characters and thought that was referring to the "server" as not being permanent.

Deleting the characters is an absolutely retarded idea and they're already backtracking on it.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Hadn't read that they were talking about deleting the characters and thought that was referring to the "server" as not being permanent.

Deleting the characters is an absolutely retarded idea and they're already backtracking on it.

Last I saw they changed it to a "We are discussing it" stance but havent been firm. This is a deal breaker for me. I would love to start fresh on this game and maybe I wont make it a year, maybe I will. But I want the option.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Last I saw they changed it to a "We are discussing it" stance but havent been firm. This is a deal breaker for me. I would love to start fresh on this game and maybe I wont make it a year, maybe I will. But I want the option.
This was my biggest thing as well, as someone who never played the "Live" version of the game. I believe I would like to try it out, but I'd want the opportunity to keep it going just in case I liked it.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
There are certainly some things that we cannot effectively roll back to original RIFT, and soul structure and class skills are among them.

A dev said this during the livestream. Sounds like a big deal, and probably won't reflect what made Rift originally "playable/fun"?

Looking for opinions. Still thinking about playing this server, but if it is going to keep too much of the current game, in which everyone has said is boring, no desire to waste any effort.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
A dev said this during the livestream. Sounds like a big deal, and probably won't reflect what made Rift originally "playable/fun"?

Looking for opinions. Still thinking about playing this server, but if it is going to keep too much of the current game, in which everyone has said is boring, no desire to waste any effort.

Not sure how it's going to be with classes balanced around level 70, but maxing at 50. A lot of the fun was in those old builds like Sabdancer.

Really can't say how much of an impact it will have without trying it, though.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Rift souls at launch were terribly unbalanced. Some builds were embarrassingly stupid and got nerfed/modified.

This had the effect of being fun as broken things can be entertaining. Fixing them removed some of the flavor but it was needed. It really ends up depending on what you're looking for but I wouldn't say this should be a dealbreaker unless you were hoping to run a build that was heavily broken.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity