Rimworld

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure if people are down with watching others play games (I actually don't watch much, just listen) but the PeteComplete series(s) on Rimworld are pretty entertaining just from a dry humor perspective. Really highlights some of the absurd shit you can do in the game; I recommend.

It's one of those games where I really like the various survival/etc aspects but the random assrapings just get kind of old after awhile, even if they are pretty hilarious at times. I have a few games going in various stages, but I just get distracted easily when I end up with like a 12 day toxic fallout so my group is just confined to the base while shit happens outside that I can't interact with under pain of everyone developing major issues and dying.

Yea I think the game has suffered in the last few updates before 1.0 because many of the defense strategies (super cold biomes, mountain bases, killboxes, turrets etc) have been nerfed or had specific counters developed against them by the developers. It's become less of a base building/tower defense game and more of a "random event is going to kill or maim you now"/ angst management game and it's caused me to completely lose interest.

I miss my undermountain base in a -60 degree biome where most raiders froze to death before even making it to my 30 turret killbox. Floors of gold everywhere. So many cannibals lived a happy life there, and a few non cannibals who were merely content.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Meester

Trakanon Raider
It's one of those games where I really like the various survival/etc aspects but the random assrapings just get kind of old after awhile

You do know you can turn down the difficulty anytime you want right?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I could play it on sandbox or whatever mode for sure. Just saying from your standard survival game aspect, it's a bit too "random" with the shit that happens. Preparing for a harsh winter you know is coming is one thing; having the sky randomly turn into poison for half a season is another, hah.

Meester

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I could play it on sandbox or whatever mode for sure. Just saying from your standard survival game aspect, it's a bit too "random" with the shit that happens. Preparing for a harsh winter you know is coming is one thing; having the sky randomly turn into poison for half a season is another, hah.

Its a difficult one when one of the the basic premises of the game is for random shit that happens for you to deal with. The scenario editor allows you to disable events and there are probably [most definitely] mods for what you want for turning off certain events etc.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Theres a fine line between "losing is fun" dwarf fortress, "this is how you died." project zomboid and bullshit.
Same on the other end. A bit too much power in the players hands, and it becomes a trivial tower defense. 7 days to die, etc.

I think oxygen not included does a generally good job with this. as you can actually recover from most major catastrophes. Although, its not really randomness that causes em. its lack of knowledge or forethought. I suppose thats where its good. its not random. mistakes just have consequences. even in factorio, if you design a bad system, you can just rebuild it for free. if you design a bad system in ONI, dupes may starve, burn alive, heat leakage will fuck you, etc..

Last edited:

Meester

Trakanon Raider
b6222c3cd3e44411e86479781be236b196fabf79_960x311.png

There will be a new update [1.3] and a dlc soon. Looks very interesting.

New dlc is basically religion and stuff. 1.3 patch will have a few animal improvements.

I thought: What if we made a system that lets players explicitly express all those different ways of life?
That’s what we’ve spent the last 15 months working on with Ideology. This expansion lets you create a new belief system and act it out in your colony. You can play as tree-worshipping cannibals who carve skulls into every piece of furniture, or blind tunnelers who shun the light, or transhumanists obsessed with perfecting the human form using exotic technology. Or be nudists, or drug-stupor mystics, or piratical raiders, or charity-focused givers, or pain-loving animal sacrificers, or dance-party techno ravers, or rustic ranching cowboys, or many many more.

You can mix and match different core elements of your belief system, and also customize every individual precept, ritual, special social role, venerated animal and weapon, culture and style, unique building, tattoo, clothing, background narrative, god, and beard preference.

d427466f358b0b87c6a353ab8687525d065cf05c.jpg

About 1.3.

There is a new pens-and-fences system for animals. Now animals are more productive, with more focused roles, but some of them need to be kept in fenced pens and led around by your trusty farmers. It gives the colony a more ‘ranchy’ look and feel, as opposed to just having random cows always wandering through bedrooms or staying in pens via mind control. You’ve also got egg boxes and a new straw matting terrain type to build true-looking farms that actually work.

There are search bars all over the interface now, so you can type in text on the architect menu, stats dialog, research menu, stockpile filter, and elsewhere to jump directly to exactly what you want. No more hunting through lists - even with lots of modded items!

The faction goodwill system has been reworked so neighbors keep a record of what you’ve done and why they feel the way they do about you. You’ll have a better idea of why exactly they want to destroy or reward you.

036a237d9582cb995a124733924e45c2a7e6c812.jpg

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
This expansion has been pretty tedious, not sure if it has added any fun to the game but it has definitely added things. Animal changes are kind of horrible so far and have just overcomplicated a really simple thing that the game already had measures to deal with. Ideologies, I guess like in real life, have pretty much served to just give pawns extra reasons to punch each other.

I did a tribal start and created an anti-vegan sect of Christianity that's focused on ranching and it's taken me probably 10 times longer to get anything going because my pawns completely lose their shit when they eat anything but mushrooms and meat so they've just been beating the shit out of each other for 60 days while I've been trying to dig out a mushroom farm under a mountain when my lone miner isn't incapacitated. Converting prisoners has been a giant pain in the ass so far but I managed to get 2 so I'm at 7 pop but man, it's kind of like learning to play the game again from scratch. Not sure if that's good or bad but so far it's not feeling like good on the fun side of things. Royalty xpac still left things feeling like everything was flexible enough to build your own story on the fly and adapt to weird situations, with ideology you're hemmed in from the get-go so pick your religion carefully.

It was also a giant pain to install for some reason. It re-installed on Steam four or five times before it showed up as an option for a new game.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I fired up a naked brutality, randy, losing-is-fun a few days ago expecting to die of nanite cholera within an hour, but I'm still going. Almost 2 years in.

At this point I had a disease and combined with heatstroke I couldn't move. So I was about to starve with 3 meals at the foot of my bed. A "lover" in my relations shows up and just happens to be a doctor!
20210727024834_1.jpg

Then an asshole raider set my horseshoe pin on fire and it burned the entire map aside from my crops, which I guarded:
20210727220415_1.jpg

Trees started growing back but all the dead husks and stumps were in the way so I took the time to clear them. That left little stacks of 1-4 wood everywhere. Whenever someone needed to recharge a stove or passive cooler, they would run out and grab 1 log, run all the way back plug it in, and repeat.

I had to babysit every haul for HOURS till I got all that cleared or they would do it in the absolute most idiotic way possible.

Randy has been kind so far. I built one of those switchback trap gauntlets that Moonmoon uses and await the inevitable nuclear winter + cold snap + 30 enemy raid + bug infestation.
20210729020500_1.jpg

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Defoliating mechship, then a few days later 2 raids at once + 3 manhunter pack + heat wave. A man in black showed up but just went into sad wander haha.
20210730214108_1.jpg

They always love to somehow set my metal vents and air conditioners on fire.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
20210730192005_1.jpg
Before all that I had gotten to the second rank in the nobility stuff. I had a really basic light spell and a 3x3 water douse that was great for putting out fires.

Caliane

ha. looks like an early randy beatdown.

some very different build ideologies there.

very compact base. fridge/storage so small.
end tables need to be next to bed headboards. you didnt leave any space for that, in those small bedrooms.
I def just start wood, and upgrade to stone, when laying down power.
And use sandbags/new barricades to set up gun positions, not use traps so much.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I messed up and had alot of stone traps. Those things use vast amounts of stone and take forever to make and I was on a map without much stone around. Main reason I had so many traps is I had like 1 decent shooter and a couple potatoes and a nonviolent.

Doesn't wood just burn down? I always have little fires spring up. I've never tried building out of wood. I used to always do mountainous starts and dig a base dorf style, but those bug infestations are brutal.

I started over with the chill lady storyteller thing, and the medium difficulty setting strive to survive and crashland for more of a relaxing exploration of the royalty stuff.

Oldbased

> Than U
I always disable toxic, bug infestation and one other I can't remember. While you can switch story mode and how events/disasters progress anytime in options I usually let it run the course but heavily dictate conditions at the start such as starting traits and so on. I didn't buy royalty or the new one. I do run ~15 mods though.

Caliane

wood can burn down. but, its sure faster. that speed helps early.

you can make firebreaks, to prevent it from getting hit by boomalopes/lit strikes. I tend to start laying stone down, when I'm laying down elec wires.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
View attachment 364745Before all that I had gotten to the second rank in the nobility stuff. I had a really basic light spell and a 3x3 water douse that was great for putting out fires.

Haven't played in a year or two so perhaps this is outdated, but you want main walkways to be at least 2 spots wide, because pawns will slow down if they have to pass each other in a 1-wide hallway. Also, I'd suggest using "leave open" on the doors to the workshop/storeroom and the one in the corridor from workshop to bedrooms. Stone doors in particular will slow them down a lot, the only ones that don't are wood and steel autodoors iirc. Optimizing the productivity of pawns so time wasted is minimized is 3/4 of the game really.

Generally I used vents between adjacent bedrooms to cut down on the number of heaters/airconditioners needed. 3 smallish bedrooms can run off one heater and a/c in the middle one that way, if you're not in an extreme biome.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Crash landed on a hostile world and he expects me to shave
haahhaah.jpg

We got married a few days later :emoji_laughing:

Here's how the place looks now. I built that top row of wood, and then built the big dining hall and throne room after I had built up a few tons of stone blocks. The build-early-out-of-wood idea was great.
20210801201040_1.jpg

My farmer got kidnapped and died in captivity. Same old story. Me with 2 10+ shooters behind a barricade miss 30 times in a row while some addled meth zombie with a knife dodges 30 bullets to take them both out and run off with one. It's like pulp fiction. I lost my left leg and my right hand in that fight.

I had a random person join then betray me after doing a few days of awesome work for me. I shot them down, captured them, then turned them in to the tribute people for 3 honour.

I almost starved early on. I set up a field and planted but didn't realize I had planted taters. They take a long time to grow so I was out of my survival meals and barely scraped by on berries before the harvest.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Meester

Trakanon Raider
Not using wall light mod?
Only problem with Wall Light mod which may or may not be true anymore is that it lags [use Auto Switch?] when you have a big base with lots of them around.

If this is still true then there are other wall light mods around [I also use ceiling lights].