Riot Games MMO

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
These kind of interviews really don't give you too much info about their MMO. Topics are way too board and general.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nothing to see.

I want pictures/video/gameplay design. This has the same impact as a discussion around the reality of Santa Clause.

• 1Like

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Greg ‘Ghostcrawler’ Street leaves Riot

“I have decided to step down from my role at Riot Games. “A combo of personal and professional considerations led me to down this path. We experienced some devastating personal losses last year and I want to be closer to my surviving family. But while I was on break I got to think a lot about my career. Grief has a way of really bringing into focus what matters the most to you (still don’t recommend it overall though). And after nine years at Riot it feels like it’s time for something new!”
“I said from the beginning that building a League of Legends MMO worthy of you all was going to be a long journey. The most important job I could do as part of that was to build an amazing team, and while I try to stay humble overall, I will brag about this team all day! he MMO is in good hands and it’s the right time to hand over the [reins] for the next phase. I plan to stay in game development and I have had a number of exciting opportunities presented to me already. And I will be with you all playing the Riot MMO when it comes out.”

• 1Solidarity

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Shit is more vaporware than Pantheon at the moment. This game is going to get canceled.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
His brother and father died within a month of each other the last year, I'd be kinda fucked up and reassessing priorities too. Plus he had a spooking when the Twitter cancellation train tried to drag him into the blizzard shit storm

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
His brother and father died within a month of each other the last year, I'd be kinda fucked up and reassessing priorities too. Plus he had a spooking when the Twitter cancellation train tried to drag him into the blizzard shit storm

Giving a public statement on Twitter completely debased him. It was just a matter of time, loss of family or not. The target was on him.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Makes one wonder what the riot MMO is doing that doesn't fit the types of games he's passionate about

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Makes one wonder what the riot MMO is doing that doesn't fit the types of games he's passionate about
I dont think it was the game, I think it was he needed to be back with his family. His release said hes doing 100% remote work so he can be with his family in Texas.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Did you all really like this dude? Wasn't he the main reason why WoW class design from expansion to expansion was bi-polar?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I remember this guy being the cornerstone for the whole "redesign classes every expansion to re-engage disenfranchised players" mantra that blizzard had going on since BC onward. That system was one of the worst and dumbest decisions ever for a company to undertake, every expansion you basically were put into a position of playing a class you liked over playing a GOOD class.

Wish he left because he was fired, if I'm recalling the above correctly, rather than family stuff though.

On the MMO studio front, that's good to hear, hopefully it doesn't go belly up like every MMO studio ever though.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Those sort of decisions don't exist in a vacuum, though. I mean I was never a Ghostcrawler fan in WoW (tbh I was usually indifferent), but it isn't like he would just say "this goes" and then everyone lock steps behind him.

• 1Like

forehead

Trakanon Raider
Those sort of decisions don't exist in a vacuum, though. I mean I was never a Ghostcrawler fan in WoW (tbh I was usually indifferent), but it isn't like he would just say "this goes" and then everyone lock steps behind him.
That's exactly what happens in every large organization lol

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Anyone who cripples retardins is fine by me

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Did you all really like this dude? Wasn't he the main reason why WoW class design from expansion to expansion was bi-polar?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I remember this guy being the cornerstone for the whole "redesign classes every expansion to re-engage disenfranchised players" mantra that blizzard had going on since BC onward. That system was one of the worst and dumbest decisions ever for a company to undertake, every expansion you basically were put into a position of playing a class you liked over playing a GOOD class.

Wish he left because he was fired, if I'm recalling the above correctly, rather than family stuff though.

On the MMO studio front, that's good to hear, hopefully it doesn't go belly up like every MMO studio ever though.
What I remember from his WoW days was someone who was sincere and at least made efforts to be transparent and communicate intent behind designs. He doesn’t strike me as an authoritarian type, but it’s hard to say for sure unless we hear from someone that worked with/under him.

• 2Like

Molten Core Raider

"Riot co-founder Marc Merrill updated players with a thread on X/Twitter, letting them know that the team made the decision to go back to the drawing board “some time ago.” He explains that the “initial vision just wasn’t different enough from what you can play today,” so while the currently unnamed MMORPG is absolutely still in development, major changes behind the scenes will keep it under wraps for quite a while longer."

• 5Like
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 6 users