Riot Games MMO

Fadaar

That guy
You have to imagine an MMO will happen at some point. They've done fuckall except soak up all that sweet sweet League money for all these years, time to expand.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think as popular as League of Legends has been, much less does it have a fucking special on Netflix - an MMO thats not complete shit - would do extremely well. So I only hope that the sexual harassment bullshit that they have had to contend with hasnt tainted their "vision" much less their hiring capacity. Bioware being a prime example of what & how a cuck at the helm of HR can do to a company from the inside out. After watching that league docu on Netflix, I cant for the life of me understand how any judge would be on the side of those women. But then again, Im a vile sexist, republican pig. So w/e.

I think it was around the time of the Warwick redo that I actually started reading up on the lore that Riot had came up with. I was hooked from the cinematic alone. Then I watched the Ryze video and dove into it even further. The world that they have developed for League of Legends, something so self contained and inconsequential to the game - is fascinating. If they kept the same art style and didnt try to make it ultra realistic, didnt try to dumb it down for "Longevity" then they have a customer in me for sure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fuck yes, it's happening. Still high potential they fail, but at this point Riot is the only company I think capable of making a quality MMO that rivals WoW.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
LoL is a shitty game, not sure why this is exciting.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ah, there was a thread

Well, I will repeat my other post. I am not interested in this but I wish them the best of luck

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Because it's a (relatively) western company with the resources and setting to actually produce a triple A MMO. This forum is used to kickstarters, swindling baseball players, and rangrang pay-2-win pvp shit the last decade.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole

So shitty it's been the most popular game in the world for basically the last decade.

Any AAA developer making an MMO is pretty exciting, considering the state of MMOs being primarily Kickstarter pipedreams and cash grabs.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
They remade dota and made it a little more friendly and a little more Chinese. This won’t end well lol

Uhhh seems like you're over simplifying things. I mean Blizzard fucking had DOTA on their game for years as a custom map, and didn't realize its worth. Then made HOTS years after the fact which is basically third tier DOTA right now vs LOL and DOTA 2. Before WoW all they had made was ARPG and RTS games....

If RIOT can even make a game that's equally as fun at WoW was for me from Vanilla to Wrath they will have my money for quite some time. Obviously a big if, but far from impossible.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fuck yes, it's happening. Still high potential they fail, but at this point Riot is the only company I think capable of making a quality MMO that rivals WoW.

This is great news. This company has a huge hit on their hands, they have their own money and have the lore apparently. Its not a sure thing but its a shitload better than most of what we got going on in MMO news.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
A Riot MMO will probably be at least worth the box price. Longevity? Who knows. But they do actually have an interesting universe even just the tidbits they've created for LoL champions. But it will absolutely have stylized graphics which will piss off at least 3 of this forum's members.

• 3Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
My first reaction was more "how mmo is this mmo going to be", because lately pseudo mmos like shooter mmos(destiny and such) have been pretty popular and making quite a lot of money, to a lesser extent you have diablo-like mmos in korea, you have the phantasy star/dragon's dogma etc smaller scale "mmos" where it's mostly cities that are mmo but the gameplay is more your traditional 4-6man multiplayer game kind of thing.

The actual mmo market is somewhat saturated to an extent too, most people who want to play traditional mmos are already out there playing WoW/FFXIV/TESO/BDO and such, and a lot was splintered into survival games and the pseudo mmos I mentionned earlier. So they'd need something that really is great to get a big share of that market, competing against mmos that have been out for many years with tons of content. Totally possible but I wonder if investors would consider it as a solid option versus just trying to make the new "mmo but really is just a multiplayer game with continued support selling cosmetics and expansions every year" kind of thing.

Guess we'll have to see in 2025 or whenever they're ready to show anything about the game.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I can see it actually being reasonably "real MMO", there's been Esport "potential" shown there with the views the MDI and World First Races get, just needs a company that knows how to juice it, and that brings an existing fanatical esports viewer-base, to push it, which would justify a PVE MMO.

Nate

Molten Core Raider
Riot has one of the most impressive catalogs of any developer at the moment. LoL, Valorant, TFT, LoR are basically best in class for their genres, are legit free to play, and are printing money. If you’re an MMO fan and you aren’t excited about this game you’re out of touch with the times.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Riot Games founders were both oldschool EverQuest players (they played on Rallos Zek IIRC). I don't expect it to be an full-on oldschool style MMO, but I don't think its going to be a pseudo-MMO like Destiny or something. I think it's going to be pretty much WoW with probably a bigger focus on PvP.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
I think it's going to be pretty much WoW with probably a bigger focus on PvP.

Agreed, I mean Ghostcrawler has been tweeting about his return to WoW and mentioned he had missed raiding, so assume that's gonna be a major focus for them. Hell, the champions and lore around them give a lot of material for raid bosses.

• 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The actual mmo market is somewhat saturated to an extent too, most people who want to play traditional mmos are already out there playing WoW/FFXIV/TESO/BDO and such, and a lot was splintered into survival games and the pseudo mmos I mentionned earlier. So they'd need something that really is great to get a big share of that market, competing against mmos that have been out for many years with tons of content. Totally possible but I wonder if investors would consider it as a solid option versus just trying to make the new "mmo but really is just a multiplayer game with continued support selling cosmetics and expansions every year" kind of thing.

Guess we'll have to see in 2025 or whenever they're ready to show anything about the game.

There are a zillion mmo's and almost all of them suck. WoW is old/ FFXIV is for weebs/ TESO is meh / BDO is a grindest. Those four don't suck but there sure is a lot of room for improvement.

Doesn't mean RIOT will deliver the goods but a new AAA mmo is always welcome. Eventually one will be great. Hopefully this century.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Riot has one of the most impressive catalogs of any developer at the moment. LoL, Valorant, TFT, LoR are basically best in class for their genres, are legit free to play, and are printing money. If you’re an MMO fan and you aren’t excited about this game you’re out of touch with the times.
You'd have to be utterly out of touch with the history of MMOs and its lineage of successively shittier games over the past two decades to think this won't be anything but more derivative garbage to pile atop the trash heap of the genre.

• 1Like