Riot Games MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well color me excited. Riot, for better or for worse, is positioned similarly to Blizzard circa 2000.
  1. Years old franchise that enjoyed massive global success (League debuted 2008).
  2. Delightful characters and lore that exist in the minds of hundreds of millions (way more than Bliz had due to how more online the world naturally is).
  3. A still growing audience and the whole world is familiar with their content in some way.
  4. Created successful offshoots (card game, shooter, mobile, whatever).
They are right where they need to be for this. I'll be happy if they can succeed without taking 10 years to make an MMO.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Never played league but I love Valorant. I just hope they go the opposite way of retail WoW where there's not endless systems and subsystems... and subsystems of subsystems with 15 different currencies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If you look at all of their other games it would indicate they will be avoiding this.

Riot does easy to play hard to master better than Blizzard ever did.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Never played league but I love Valorant. I just hope they go the opposite way of retail WoW where there's not endless systems and subsystems... and subsystems of subsystems with 15 different currencies.
And they reset for new systems every expansion!

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

My expectation is an MMO that's very easy to play, with limited options, and focuses on immersion.
Scaled back/minimalist UI that won't be very customizable
Limit to the number of abilities that can be used at any given time
Most power coming from items and a "mastery tree" of sorts, similar to LoL.

Also you can look at Legends of Runeterra to see the type of mobs you're likely to find in an MMO.
Riot goes HUGE with their creature designs.
I don't know if any Champions will be raid bosses.... possibly yes. But they have a huge roster of big things that can easily be raid targets.

she-who-wanders2.jpg
sky-sovereign1.jpg
the-beast-below1.jpg
mistwraith1.jpg
vilemaw-separated1.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Champions absolutely will be in the game though. That is for certain. I expect some friendly some less friendly. Maybe some of them are bosses or whatever.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Also for world building I feel the LoR videos give you such a better view of what an MMO might look like compared to any of the LoL cinematics.
And you can see how huge some other creatures are which the LoR card art doesn't depict as clearly, like the Lion creature at the end of this 1st vid.

Launch Trailer

Trailer for Targon expansion in LoR:

Trailer for Shurima expansion in LoR:

Bilgewater expansion cinematic:

Wild Rift trailer, featuring Poros:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ive always wanted a mount that had different options, that was more ... Idk, player focused? Like the guys (Im not sure if thats Lucian or what) kite-board in the Shurima trailer. Certain maps having wind currents (ala Valheim sailing) where instead of a mount like Renekton is riding, its more beneficial to use that Kite thing so you can go faster. Like a small mini game and you being good at it nets you a much faster mount speed. Its a small wish to have this, but at least it would be cool to do every once in a while.

If you ever try League of Legends, make sure you play with friends the first while. I think the reason I can pick the game up and play it anytime is just cause I have a mountain of a friends list on there and can play it with someone I know all the time just about.

• 1Like

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ended up on Ghostcrawler's twitter feed for some reason, gave it a quick peruse and it's excessively pozzed

Cannot say I have any hope for this, tbh

• 2Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Ended up on Ghostcrawler's twitter feed for some reason, gave it a quick peruse and it's excessively pozzed

Cannot say I have any hope for this, tbh
Imagine the ass crack of the sweatiest gamer, then imagine a million fags doing things to it. Don’t Twitter, because that’s what Twitter is.

I’ll give this game a try maybe I guess.

• 1Picard

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I don't know that much about Riot games, except that League of Legends is really popular. Anyway, the 2 founders of the company were sitting for a podcast, and said they both worked for a really interesting MMORPG that was going to launch shortly. The game did launch, but failed notlong ager.

Anyway, do any of you know what game that they were both working on?

Thanks.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Anyway, do any of you know what game that they were both working on?
I think it's Horizons, but it's now called Istaria. Started with high ambitions, and you could play a dragon.

They are both thanked in the credits:

EDIT: Oh, and it's the sad tale of a creator with a vision (David Allen) being pushed out by backstabbing from someone he hired, who then sucked up to the investors to replace him. And consequently ran the whole project into a big crater.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I think it's Horizons, but it's now called Istaria. Started with high ambitions, and you could play a dragon.

They are both thanked in the credits:

EDIT: Oh, and it's the sad tale of a creator with a vision (David Allen) being pushed out by backstabbing from someone he hired, who then sucked up to the investors to replace him. And consequently ran the whole project into a big crater.

This game had such huge hype when it was in development then it fell off a cliff.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
This game had such huge hype when it was in development then it fell off a cliff.
People make David Bowman responsible for it, who was fired from Turbine and then became CEO after David Allen was ousted by another guy, which in turn was ousted to make David Bowman CEO. He has a long history of ... let's just say ... unfulfilled promises.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I remember having such high hopes for Horizon. Some of the stuff they did realize was really cool.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ive always wanted a mount that had different options, that was more ... Idk, player focused?
I've been thinking, all the billion peacock wow mounts are ridiculous and more could be done with mounts.

Like FF14 has those mounts too, but they also have a chocobo mount that you can recolour via food, can fight with you solo exactly how hunter pets work with a level up/talent tree system AND it can equip cosmetic armour.

Combine that with how Hunters tame pets in WoW and add in some tamagotchi pet care and pokemon breeding (FF14 has this but only for racing chocobod) and you have a really strong and compelling system.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
I remember when they were releasing photo's of what the game world would look like and it would be incredible even by today's standards. They were definitely blowing smoke up people's asses with concept art and gameplay.