RIP Brad McQuaid

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
very sad... I always thought Brad was hit with recessive Criticism. Both in he EQ days, the VG failure, and the whole Pantheon fiasco turned indie mmo.

Guy was a legit excellent dev by the standards of his day. It's hard to really communicate how revolutionary EQ was... how it changed and consumed so many lives. He's a guy whom should have just stayed a dev...

Gotta assume at least a good chance Drugs had a part in this... Although it's very possible it was something else outside his control, or even suicide.

So long Brad.... If i sill had my EVE online accounts i would make a Cynovigil.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I was friends with him on Facebook and my feed was nothing but sad posts. Shit was making me cry. Had to unfollow just to stop the deluge.

This hits me in the same way mark the shark Shelton of Manilla roads quick passing on stage in Europe had. Those guys and Robert Howard defined my early adult identity and inner life.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
To those trying to hate on the haters, fuck off. Brad deserved most if not all of the criticism he got. It's sad that he died, though. EQ was my gateway drug into MMOs.

• 5Picard
  • 3Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 9 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To those trying to hate on the haters, fuck off. Brad deserved most if not all of the criticism he got. It's sad that he died, though. EQ was my gateway drug into MMOs.

Nobody deserves the treatment he got. It's just a fucking game. You all treated him like he was the second incarnation of Hitler. And helped push a living human being into darkness all because of some pixels.

Brad was trying to create, while you all tried to destroy. Congratulations. You won.

There are no words for how disgusted I feel with you all now.

• 11Like
  • 4Solidarity
  • 3Seriously?
Reactions: 19 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Nobody deserves the treatment he got. It's just a fucking game. You all treated him like he was the second incarnation of Hitler. And helped push a living human being into darkness all because of some pixels.

Brad was trying to create, while you all tried to destroy. Congratulations. You won.

Pushed into darkness? Complete and utter speculation.

You also have no idea how he died.

• 2Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pushed into darkness? Complete and utter speculation.

You also have no idea how he died.

It is possible it was a heart attack or some other medical condition. True. But the rest of my sentiment is valid. The conduct of the people on this board toward's Brad and other creators is beyond the pale. Honestly, I don't understand how people can be so vile.

I hope you all are treated in life exactly how you treated Brad. You deserve it.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Salty
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 8 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

lol

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I have to agree. Brad used to post here if you remember. Until peeps wanted to rack up internet tough guy cool points and shit all over him every time he posted here. So he left, lol.

I used to think, how coll is that, getting to chat with a dude that made my fave mmo of all time. Well, until the internet warriors fucked that up.

• 10Like
  • 2Picard
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 15 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That's usually what happens when you're full of shit, steal from people, and generally lie to everyone about everything while trying to sell them something. Give me a fucking break with the "Brad was a victim of FoH" bullshit.

Terrible he's dead, if you think it's the fault of words on an internet forum you're a moron.

• 13Like
  • 4Solidarity
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 18 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Look at these fuckin white knights.

In what world was Brad an innocent victim of online harassment.. GTFO with that nonsense, he deserved ALL that he got form this board, and then some.

It's sad that he passed, genuinely, but this idea that every time somebody dies we need to fucking deify them is a joke. He was a massive piece of shit through long stretches of the past 20 years.

• 6Like
  • 2Picard
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 8 users

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's usually what happens when you're full of shit, steal from people, and generally lie to everyone about everything while trying to sell them something. Give me a fucking break with the "Brad was a victim of FoH" bullshit.

Terrible he's dead, if you think it's the fault of words on an internet forum you're a moron.

Yeah it was a rollercoaster with Brad, he's not a victim, but being an asshole only reflects back poorly on yourself and people here can be some of the dumbest and angriest retards around when it comes to their MMOs. But that's part of the entertainment I guess.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I was not saying he was innocent. I just found it cool that I could chat with him on an online forum about game ideas, that is all. Rest of the crap about him stealing, whatever, I could give a rats ass about. Most of that shit is hearsay anyway. Maybe he sucked at being a business man? Also no one here is deifying him, man get a grip.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
The stealing is not hearsay. It was admitted from an official release that he took 45k that was supposed to be for Pantheon, before any additional funding was secured. And that's just the official spin.

• 3Like
  • 1Brony
Reactions: 3 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
If the sentiment is that we as a race should all be nicer to each other, I agree but....this is not the place for that and everyone knows it. In fact, just like the military, it’s the darkness that binds us, it’s the shit we go through together that makes us a community. Like it or not, people are messy and FoH is just a reflection of that.

If someone decides to come here and get tormented and then keeps coming back, that’s on them. I never, ever hated on Brad, but I will not accept a narrative that he was pushed to his death (which we still don’t even know the cause) because of message board ridicule.

People get shit on all the time on the internet or in real life and that doesn’t lead to suicide or death for the vast majority. There are other causes at play affecting mental health and it’s better that we focus on curing those causes rather than casting wide accusatory nets that won’t fix the problem.

Just my opinion. I love and hate all of you stupid fuckers.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
He certainly deserved criticism, but some people really went hard on the guy.

I really hope he didn't commit suicide. I hope it was just some freak thing that can happen to people. I hope he went peacefully with no pain. I hope that if there are worlds beyond death, that he and Keith Parkinson are having a beer and reminiscing about good times. I know Keith's death hit him hard.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Its a tad ironic that folks are upset that Brad got internet bullied considering some of the earliest forms of being shitty to other people over the web happened inside of EQ. Frankenstein got eaten by his own monster?

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like