RIP Harold Ramis.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The thing with John Hughes movies is they were only great movies if you were in the target demographic. I doubt there were many 40 year old men who loved 16 Candles or Ferris Bueller's Day Off and I doubt many teens today would be into them or something like Breakfast Club.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is the only movie he's written that is a universally loved movie and would be appreciated today, proven by Due Date which was such a shameless ripoff it ruined the movie for me.
ferris bueller's day off is an all time classic, so to say that planes, trains, and automobiles is hughes' only universally loved movie is a flat out lie. home alone is one of the highest grossing movies of all time, so you gotta give credit where credit is due. i would definitely say harold ramis' overall body of work is more impressive, but i'm not going to take anything away from john hughes, either.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I love Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but I don't think I'd feel the same if I watched it the first time today. I hadn't seen Planes, Trains, and Automobiles since I was little and didn't remember it too well. Then a couple years ago I caught it on TV and found it hilarious.

Home Alone's also a kid's movie which is what I mean by not universal. Hughes usually had target demographics while Ramis didn't. Neither is inherently better than the other, but ranking them against each other is usually dependent on which type of movie you prefer rather than who's actually better

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
PT&A does indeed stand the test of time. Ferris is great in its way but it feels more dated overall, its got a bit of an 80's vibe whereas I think modern audiences would have no problem seeing Candy and Martin as just everyman business travelers to this very day. Ferris still works because the characters are strong and draw you in to relate to them, which PT&A does as well but its just less time stamped.

Its kinda like Its a Wonderful Life. The movie is older than dirt but it still works for people because they relate to the characters and strong story. Obviously not a comedy there, but it never feels dated. It comes to mind because I consider PT&A a holiday movie, and maybe my favorite holiday movie. I think it works equally well for Xmas even though its about Thanksgiving and that's when it tends to air. Almost works better with Xmas for me since its often not that cold yet by Thanksgiving around here.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
PT&A does indeed stand the test of time. Ferris is great in its way but it feels more dated overall, its got a bit of an 80's vibe whereas I think modern audiences would have no problem seeing Candy and Martin as just everyman business travelers to this very day. Ferris still works because the characters are strong and draw you in to relate to them, which PT&A does as well but its just less time stamped.

Its kinda like Its a Wonderful Life. The movie is older than dirt but it still works for people because they relate to the characters and strong story. Obviously not a comedy there, but it never feels dated. It comes to mind because I consider PT&A a holiday movie, and maybe my favorite holiday movie. I think it works equally well for Xmas even though its about Thanksgiving and that's when it tends to air. Almost works better with Xmas for me since its often not that cold yet by Thanksgiving around here.
i agree with you about PT&A for a holiday movie. i'd also put "trading places" in there for all time holiday comedies.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Trading Places was good, but not the comedy masterpiece of PT&A IMO. Plus its much more adult, and if its on basic cable you won't even get to see JLC's tits, so meh to that. For a random televised choice I'd take Candy and Martin everyday. I also consider Akroyd overrated.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I love Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but I don't think I'd feel the same if I watched it the first time today. I hadn't seen Planes, Trains, and Automobiles since I was little and didn't remember it too well. Then a couple years ago I caught it on TV and found it hilarious.

Home Alone's also a kid's movie which is what I mean by not universal.
You are wrong on this, maybe you should re-watch Ferris and Home Alone, they are much better than you think.

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
best derail of someone else's rip thread ever? but seriously i don't know how anyone can't love ferris. and i hate broderick. but that movie is amazing.