RIP Harold Ramis.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Stop being so thick Abe. He is saying the same thing I explained to your dumbass. Hughes did not make straight up comedies, thus the comparison is stupid.
hughes didn't make comedies? are you being serious? ferris bueller's day off wasn't a comedy? home alone? weird science? they're all listed as comedies as far as hollywood is concerned. now who's being a dumbass?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Hughes did not make straight up comedies, thus the comparison is stupid.
neither did ramis! neither one made slapstick, over the top comedies like "airplane" or "the naked gun." they both made smart comedies with a moral compass. so the comparison between the two is very accurate. take for example "sixteen candles" for john hughes and "back to school" by harold ramis. both movies are comedies but delve morally into the subject of being accepted and fitting in and cliques. both hughes and ramis movies weave these social issues into many of their movies. so the comparison between the two is spot on. unless you're an absolute dipshit that knows nothing about cinema.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
hughes was very much a comedic director, difference was his movies while funny were made for teenagers/general audience while ramis focused mainly on the adults. which in my opinion makes Ramis the winner, because yeah sixteen candles was funny when i was 18, but i havent watched it in over 20 years nor do i want to. stripes i watched the other day and its still funny as hell.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
They're showing Ghostbusters in a park here in Vegas this evening, some hoping Bill Murray will show up because he's in town for a separate event.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
hughes was very much a comedic director, difference was his movies while funny were made for teenagers/general audience while ramis focused mainly on the adults. which in my opinion makes Ramis the winner, because yeah sixteen candles was funny when i was 18, but i havent watched it in over 20 years nor do i want to. stripes i watched the other day and its still funny as hell.
you can go back and watch ANY john hughes movie right now and they still hold up. they are all classics. just watched sixteen candles about a month ago. still funny as hell, and holds up to the test of time. "what was he wearing? well, let's see, he was wearing a red argyle sweater, and tan trousers, and red shoes.no he's not retarded!"

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Stop being so thick Abe. He is saying the same thing I explained to your dumbass. Hughes did not make straight up comedies, thus the comparison is stupid.
Groundhog day was a straight up comedy? Just shut the fuck up. They both did comedies and movies with comedic elements to them. They also teamed up for National Lampoon's vacation.

Instead of comparing the straight up comedies that they both did if that's where you want to move the goalposts too, you decide to be some snarky internet bitch. Grow the fuck up.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
John Hughes made great comedies about relationships and teenagers. Harold Ramis made straight up comedies. You have to be a fucking idiot not to see the difference. Of course no one with as many great films as them is going to make the same movie over and over and there's some overlap, but they were not directing the same kind of comedies.

You can just compare everything listed as a "comedy" if you want, but that's lazy. Also you are a cuntrag who is crying because your favorite director you shoehorned in isn't getting blanket praise. Someone is being a snarky little internet bitch who needs to "grow the fuck up" here, but it's not the people disagreeing with you.

iannis

Musty Nester
Groundhog Day was even better than Ghostbusters. There, I said it.

It's true though, and Ghostbusters is obviously great. But Groundhog Day -- that thing is fuckingperfect.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
John Hughes made great comedies about relationships and teenagers. Harold Ramis made straight up comedies. You have to be a fucking idiot not to see the difference. Of course no one with as many great films as them is going to make the same movie over and over and there's some overlap, but they were not directing the same kind of comedies.

You can just compare everything listed as a "comedy" if you want, but that's lazy. Also you are a cuntrag who is crying because your favorite director you shoehorned in isn't getting blanket praise. Someone is being a snarky little internet bitch who needs to "grow the fuck up" here, but it's not the people disagreeing with you.
You're a god damn moron. Home alone isn't a straight up comedy but Groundhog day is? This has got nothing to do with directing but an entire resume. Stop shitting up the thread with your fucking stupid ass comments if you can't keep up.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Keep up with what? You literally quoted me saying there's some overlap, then you point out the overlap. If I wanted to be as dense as you I'd point out how Caddyshack and Some Kind of Wonderful are wildly different kinds of comedies. But that's stupid nitpicking that only a syphilis addled brain would latch on to.

Take your John Hughes faggot shit to a new thread. There's plenty of places to jerk off to Molly Ringwald, no need to spew that shit on a thread dedicated to a different person.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
we have to define what a "straight up comedy" is, because i have no idea what the difference is between a movie like groundhog day and home alone other than groundhog day is an intelligent adult comedy while home alone is a comedy for kids

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"I have no idea what the difference is, except for the difference"

There's romantic comedies(About a Boy), slapstick comedies(Naked Gun), dark comedies(World's Greatest Dad) etc. Action comedies I guess is a thing now with stuff like Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Express. Sort of like movies that take the Lethal Weapon formula of action movie with humor and flip it around.

I'd say a straight up comedy is something where the main goal is laughs. If the characters avert a war or graduate college in the process that's great, but it's mostly just a setting for funny. But it's all pretty pedantic really.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Keep up with what? You literally quoted me saying there's some overlap, then you point out the overlap. If I wanted to be as dense as you I'd point out how Caddyshack and Some Kind of Wonderful are wildly different kinds of comedies. But that's stupid nitpicking that only a syphilis addled brain would latch on to.

Take your John Hughes faggot shit to a new thread. There's plenty of places to jerk off to Molly Ringwald, no need to spew that shit on a thread dedicated to a different person.
Do you even IMDB? Fucking look at both and it's an honest comparison, unlike your stupid fucking Scorsese comment. How the hell is discussing two great talents a disservice to Ramis. Also how is John Hughes my favorite director? Guess I'll make the same stupid fucking assumption and say that you love Michael Bay and fucking Dinosaurs. Nevermind me though and continue your argument by throwing around faggot as if you knew what sex with either gender feels like.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink etc are coming of age movies where the focus is on the teenagers coping with their feelings in a real and meaningful way, with some humor. Ramis movies primary focus is the humor and use the story as a vehicle for it. Yes Ramis movies are smart and deal with real issues in a wry and funny way, but that doesn't make the primary point of the movie a social commentary. You tried shoehorning Hughes into the conversation for whatever fucking reason and got called on it. you and etch a sketch can go fucking yourselves.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink etc are coming of age movies where the focus is on the teenagers coping with their feelings in a real and meaningful way, with some humor. Ramis movies primary focus is the humor and use the story as a vehicle for it. Yes Ramis movies are smart and deal with real issues in a wry and funny way, but that doesn't make the primary point of the movie a social commentary. You tried shoehorning Hughes into the conversation for whatever fucking reason and got called on it. you and etch a sketch can go fucking yourselves.
Comparison and discussion on a fucking message board? No fucking way! Sorry to hurt your god damn pussy over this by bringing up such a hack. Shit for brains.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do you even IMDB? Fucking look at both and it's an honest comparison, unlike your stupid fucking Scorsese comment. How the hell is discussing two great talents a disservice to Ramis. Also how is John Hughes my favorite director? Guess I'll make the same stupid fucking assumption and say that you love Michael Bay and fucking Dinosaurs. Nevermind me though and continue your argument by throwing around faggot as if you knew what sex with either gender feels like.
Oh shit he called you a virgin, instant win card!

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
i'm trying hard to comprehend where the hatred is coming from with grumblethorn and grimmlokk. ramis and hughes are two of the greatest writers/directors in the history of hollywood. i don't see what's wrong with comparing the two, as they both had most of their success in the 80's, and both pretty much defined that entire decade with continuous blockbuster after blockbuster. did john hughes molest the two of you at some point?