RIP Harold Ramis.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i'm trying hard to comprehend where the hatred is coming from with grumblethorn and grimmlokk
What hatred? I said they directed different kinds of movies. I said Hughes made great movies. Then you two retards took it in the dumbest way possible and ran with it. Your tagteam of Dense(you) and E-Thug(Abe) was formidable.

I don't hate John Hughes. I kind of hate your uncle for not pulling out of his sister/your mom and thus inflicting you twintards on us, but that's beside the point.

THis was fun. It was like 2001 internet up in here arguing like dipshits and throwing lame insults. We should get back to that level of discourse occasionally.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What hatred? I said they directed different kinds of movies. I said Hughes made great movies. Then you two retards took it in the dumbest way possible and ran with it. Your tagteam of Dense(you) and E-Thug(Abe) was formidable.

I don't hate John Hughes. I kind of hate your uncle for not pulling out of his sister/your mom and thus inflicting you twintards on us, but that's beside the point.

THis was fun. It was like 2001 internet up in here arguing like dipshits and throwing lame insults. We should get back to that level of discourse occasionally.
A great man died and I tried to discuss something. You and dipshit decided to lower the bar by trying to be fucking funny with your oh so witty retort. Why didn't you just disagree instead of acting like an asshat. You're the ethug in this story not me. I'm done here because my intention was to discuss this man a little longer and ignorantly thinking we could have some sort of discussion instead of you acting like this is the sports thread. Good day sir.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A great man died and I tried to discuss something. You and dipshit decided to lower the bar by trying to be fucking funny with your oh so witty retort. Why didn't you just disagree instead of acting like an asshat. You're the ethug in this story not me.
Here is whatIsaid.

They made very different movies. And Ramis made much funnier movies. It's a stupid comparison, you might as well compare either of them to Scorcese.
This wasyourspastic response.

What crawled up your ass and died besides a shitty goaltender?
Get off your cross.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

i didn't even bring up john hughes. i only mentioned the farrelly brothers in my original post. you went ape shit when abe brought up the comparison between ramis and hughes. god forbid anyone should compare two people who worked in the exact same field for 20+ years and actually worked together on several occasions. that would just be ludicrous...

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i didn't even bring up john hughes. i only mentioned the farrelly brothers in my original post. you went ape shit when abe brought up the comparison between ramis and hughes. god forbid anyone should compare two people who worked in the exact same field for 20+ years and actually worked together on several occasions. that would just be ludicrous...
My quote in the post right above yours. Either your bar for "ape shit" is stupidly low or you are retarded. Or it could be both I guess.

Back on topic: Harold Ramis also directed 4 episodes of The Office. 3 classic ones and one of the better ones from the later few seasons.

He also directed Bedazzled, which is really underrated.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
still not sure what people are arguing about, there is no reason to compare hughes with ramis because they both made good to great comedies in their prime but they were different kinds of comedies. its like trying to compare pegg and frost with laurel and hardy.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
still not sure what people are arguing about, there is no reason to compare hughes with ramis because they both made good to great comedies in their prime but they were different kinds of comedies. its like trying to compare pegg and frost with laurel and hardy.
that's just splitting hairs. they both made comedies, so it's not that unreasonable at all to compare two comedic writers/directors. that's about as dumb as saying you can't compare dale earnhardt junior and carl edwards as racers because one drives a chevy and one drives a ford.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It really doesn't matter why though. It's extra-funny that it was his dumbass wiccan girlfriend that cursed him.

They almost should have left that in, but it would have detracted.
Honestly, it's so much better that they left that part out. And Ramis and Hughes are equals? WTF is wrong with you people?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Honestly, it's so much better that they left that part out. And Ramis and Hughes are equals? WTF is wrong with you people?
i'd put ramis ahead of hughes, because as much as i like hughes' movies, i like harold's more. however, "home alone" made more money than almost all of harold ramis' movies combined, so if you want to compare them based on box office success, hughes beats ramis by a landslide.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
that's just splitting hairs. they both made comedies, so it's not that unreasonable at all to compare two comedic writers/directors. that's about as dumb as saying you can't compare dale earnhardt junior and carl edwards as racers because one drives a chevy and one drives a ford.
its not splitting hairs. and if we are to use racing analogies, its like comparing an f1 driver to a nascar driver. both are race car drivers both may be famous and awesome but both drive different types of cars on different tracks. thats the difference between hughes and ramis. and fuck home alone, that movie is one of my least favorite hughes films.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
kind of sad when Astr0 gets the point trying to be made, and you two still frothing on about it.

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
nice shout out by bill murray at the oscars - and done well - bill is a classy guy. really enjoyed his charlie rose interview recently, check it out.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"I have no idea what the difference is, except for the difference"

There's romantic comedies(About a Boy), slapstick comedies(Naked Gun), dark comedies(World's Greatest Dad) etc. Action comedies I guess is a thing now with stuff like Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Express. Sort of like movies that take the Lethal Weapon formula of action movie with humor and flip it around.

I'd say a straight up comedy is something where the main goal is laughs. If the characters avert a war or graduate college in the process that's great, but it's mostly just a setting for funny. But it's all pretty pedantic really.
I'm sure I'll regret getting into this but I think the main goal of any type of comedy is laughs. The comedic aspect comes first and foremost, otherwise its "X type of movie with a few scenes you can laugh at".

also you're arguing with a guy named Abefroman who is an ardent support of John Hughes. Are you surprised?

iannis

Musty Nester
nice shout out by bill murray at the oscars - and done well - bill is a classy guy. really enjoyed his charlie rose interview recently, check it out.
Oh nice. I check charlie every few months to see what interviews he's done. I haven't checked recently and... Bill Murray. SCORE.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think it was a big fuck you to the academy also. Ramis never even was nominated for an oscar. Fucking sad.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think it was a big fuck you to the academy also. Ramis never even was nominated for an oscar. Fucking sad.
unfortunately, harold ramis didn't really make the kinds of movies that the academy appreciates or takes seriously in terms of winning oscars, which is sad but true. the true genius of his movies really wasn't appreciated until a while later and then people in the industry would say "fuck, caddy shack is a true classic. wonder why i didn't realize it at the time?"

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The thing with John Hughes movies is they were only great movies if you were in the target demographic. I doubt there were many 40 year old men who loved 16 Candles or Ferris Bueller's Day Off and I doubt many teens today would be into them or something like Breakfast Club.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is the only movie he's written that is a universally loved movie and would be appreciated today, proven by Due Date which was such a shameless ripoff it ruined the movie for me.