Rock climbing: Bouldering,Sport,Trad, Free solo, Deep water

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Eatbeast

Lord Nagafen Raider
So, my work is adding another building to our complex which is almost done. Its a 2 story building that the plan is to have a climbing wall that goes from the bottom level office area to the 2nd level area(about 60ft I believe) Anyway, thinking of trying to get over my fear of heights on this thing. Do you guys have some good beginner sites to hit up regarding techniques, gear etc etc?
If it's your first time climbing there is not much to know, just hop on the wall and have fun! If you end up liking it then you can look into purchasing some climbing shoes/harness etc. Technique won't really matter much as a brand new climber. Rockclimbing.com has some beginner forums if you are looking for a resource.

I wish my work had a climbing gym, I wouldn't get a damn thing done tho.

vGrade

Potato del Grande
Dpmclimbing.com
Climbingnarc.com
Rockandice.com

Climbing holds are expensive if you go with element/tekniq/3ball ect. Go with the cheap stuff to get started like the holds my kid is climbing in my video the page before.Bolt-on Climbing Holds Archives - Rocky Mountain Climbing Gear

To give you an idea of the price difference some of the holds I buy are 60-80 bucks for 6-8 holds. You can buy 50 for 60 bucks there.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Only gear I would need is personal gear, work will be hiring someone to build the wall and provide some training once its complete. I've heard you will need certain certifications to go to certain heights or something like that. Just mostly wanting to read up on climbing more to have a better idea about it for when its ready. (April or so)

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Self Coached Climber is a pretty good book, if you really want to look at some technique stuff.

Eatbeast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Most climbing walls are in a gym and will have their own rules about belay certification. As far as I know there is no general country-wide system, I think this might exist in other countries but I am not sure. Your facility will likely come up with their own rules regarding who can use the wall and what they can do.

If they aren't available for rental you should buy a cheap harness and pair of climbing shoes if you plan on climbing regularly. Self-coached climber is a great book. Climbing with a partner who has some experience will be really helpful.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Climbing with a partner who has some experience will be really helpful.
This was a huge part of learning while climbing for me. I tend to do most of my climbing in gyms (or at least used to) but I'm stuck doing rehab/training in a shed right now due to finances.

I learned more about climbing in the times I've been able to spend with people who are now incredibly close friends. There's definitely a bond between you and your belay buddy.

Speaking of the shed, I can finally do laps again after shoulder rehab. My housemates put this up, and it has been phenomenal to have something so close to do some training when I don't want to leave the house. -Climbing shed! - Album on Imgur- We start on the first wall in the album, head up to the orange wall with holds everywhere, then transfer to the other orange wall via gaston type movement (the ceiling is about 45 degrees on each side) then lower on the rings and across the green wall back to the start side. Pretty fun to set up routes, or just play HORSE with our friends.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So our new office space if finally opening, got to check out the climbing wall. I'm hoping to eventually get up it but being afraid of heights its already intimidating me.

rrr_img_94491.jpg

rrr_img_94492.jpg

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Went climbing for the first time in a year or so. No idea how I'm even typing right now, my hands are killing me.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Been about 4 more time since I posted last. Loving it. Grabbed a pair of shoes and some other gear. Been going with my cousins who are much better than me but its been fun as fuck learning with them. Can't wait to hit up some real rocks this summer instead of the wall.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
trad climbing now. 5.8 is serious shit.
Did some outdoor top roping 5.8-5.10 in Little Falls, NY. Was pretty badass. We're probably doing some trad climbing next week, my cousin bought a bunch of gear and wants to test it out.

vGrade

Potato del Grande
The south gets it first v15. Pretty cool, I visit rocktown a dozen times a season

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Haven't been climbing in a while, watched "dawn wall" and "valley uprising" on Netflix.. Got excited so put some holds back on my woody..
I need to put a couple of panels on the roof and make a proper bouldering wall. As it is, its 2 and a half panels at 45° with 2 roof panels going up .. Can't wait..

IMG_20190405_214922.jpg

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I wish there was a climbing gym closer, nearest is 45min away. Back in highschool I went weekly with my dad, it was one of the few sport/athletic activities I really enjoyed. The combination of physiciality and skill was awesome along with week to week tangible gains.