Debate Roundabouts: Efficiency in Action or Vortex of Death

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cybsled

Oh, you mean rotaries? ;)

The one across the Bourne bridge sucks because tourists going to the Cape always fuck it up and back up traffic for miles

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I explained it several times. Its a flawed system because two drivers approach the roundabout at the same time, there is no set system for right of way. Its whoever enters the roundabout first. So its a giant fucking game of chicken. This means no one waits their turn like civilized human beings.

Also, at a roundabout no one stops. So when a mistake happens and two cars enter the intersection at the same time, they are travelling quickly enough that its an actual accident. Whereas at a 4 way stop, the same accident is avoided (and not recorded as an accident) because the cars are starting from a dead stop and its trivially easy to stop quickly and avoid the accident.

4 way stop lights with sensors are the ideal. 4 way stops with stop signs are the next best thing. Roundabouts are something that only sounds good until you actually drive through one at which point any reasonable person says "WTF that was the stupidest intersection I've ever seen"
Do you not understand Yield?

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I explained it several times. Its a flawed system because two drivers approach the roundabout at the same time, there is no set system for right of way. Its whoever enters the roundabout first. So its a giant fucking game of chicken. This means no one waits their turn like civilized human beings.

Also, at a roundabout no one stops. So when a mistake happens and two cars enter the intersection at the same time, they are travelling quickly enough that its an actual accident. Whereas at a 4 way stop, the same accident is avoided (and not recorded as an accident) because the cars are starting from a dead stop and its trivially easy to stop quickly and avoid the accident.

4 way stop lights with sensors are the ideal. 4 way stops with stop signs are the next best thing. Roundabouts are something that only sounds good until you actually drive through one at which point any reasonable person says "WTF that was the stupidest intersection I've ever seen"
I feel like you've never actually driven through a roundabout with how you talk about them. I've never seen somebody "gun it" into a roundabout and I've never seen anybody not slow down to enter one instead of flying in at full speed. Do you live in a third world country or something?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
We're working on multiple new roundabouts right now, actually. I really do hate them so much that I wince any time we're talking about it.

Here's one they finished up right before I started. I actually like this one and it makes sense for the location and traffic.

But I hate going through any of the ones we have around here, or in Bend. I've had way too many close calls in those things and it's always a coin toss on weather or not the other driver uses a turn signal, brake-checks entering, cuts across two lanes for an exit, etc. Then it just makes everyone else slow and cautious.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

lol

jeantel-retarded1-thats-real-retarded-sir.jpg

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I feel like you've never actually driven through a roundabout with how you talk about them. I've never seen somebody "gun it" into a roundabout and I've never seen anybody not slow down to enter one instead of flying in at full speed. Do you live in a third world country or something?
Bean City has a gigantic one right in the middle. If legumers can do it, so can you.

• 1Trump

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
If we have 4 cars, each at a separate approach vector on 4 way stop, and each take 10 seconds to go through intersection, it will take 40 seconds for the 4 cars to clear the intersection, minimum.
If the 4 cars are on the same street and on the same direction(same approach vector) , it takes the same amount of time, 40 seconds, even when everyone is going the same way.

If it takes 10 seconds to clear a round about, it takes 4 cars traveling in the same direction, way less time and they will never stop moving. and it will take 4 cars approaching in opposite vectors, less than 20 seconds to all 4 to clear the roundabout.

It is just math.

You and math don't mix, please stop trying to use it.

SeanDoe1z1

Roundabouts with low to average traffic? Good. Everyone plays nice.

Roundabouts with high traffic? Takes one fucker to ruin it for everyone, and they will.

Source: American that commuted for 4 years in England from a couple different residencies. I personally like England's system better, but when I had to deal with heavy traffic, there was always some cunt that was too afraid to be offensive. We literally gave leeway to people to be 5-10mins late because it was too unpredictable in the location we were at.

American highways are unbeatable, FYI. I liked Milton Keynes proper, large double lane roads with roundabouts...still had some bottlenecks though. There is a serious nod to never having to stop for traffic lights when traveling out of high volume times. Need a hybrid mix to use best of both systems IMO.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Yea that works on like a full sized rotary, there are a lot of undersized roundabouts that this is more a concern because little people entering to your left can t-bone you almost instantly due to the small size/speed of entry, so people overly hesitate if they are unsure drivers. Honestly it sounds like half you people have never even driven in one with other drivers, or you have that ones specifically made to slow traffic where almost everyone is just going straight on the main road.
The roundabout you describing sounds retarded indeed. I understand that you can screw it up, but a properly build roundabout speeds traffic a lot. I can't comment on roundabouts in very high traffic areas, but they sound suboptimal in that situation.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The roundabout you describing sounds retarded indeed. I understand that you can screw it up, but a properly build roundabout speeds traffic a lot. I can't comment on roundabouts in very high traffic areas, but they sound suboptimal in that situation.

That's the problem. They are often used in places where you can't fit a properly sized circle. It's not that traffic circles are bad, it's that they're misused.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Whenever roundabouts are bad due to high volume traffic, traffic lights are even worse.

There has been several videos linked that showed the benefits of roundabouts, and you guys keep using the argument of been too stupid to use them.

We'll learn then. What is next, cars are too complicated to drive, so you walk instead?

• 1Picard

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I just can't see how a high volume intersection, with 4 diferent traffic lights cycles, moves more cars that a roundabout.

Maybe is because it doesn't exist.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh you found a website that agrees with you

I am totally convinced, despite all logic and experience to the contrary

this is my I am totally convinced face
You sound like some Antifa trying to deny non-white crime statistics.

• 1Worf