Debate Roundabouts: Efficiency in Action or Vortex of Death

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
There are places where roundabouts make some sense but my local are has lost their fucking minds putting these things all over. Even fun places like right outside a company that makes long spars for bridges only to find out that the trucks carrying them physically could not make it through a roundabout as they are too long and wound up having to remake 3 intersections AGAIN so the companies trucks could get to the highway.

My other huge issue with them is in our climate where we get a lot of snow in winter it is hard for snowplows to clear roundabouts effectively which makes them super nasty trying to get into them after a storm because traffic does not stop and your traction is probably going to be utter garbage because they can't plow them for shit.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Geezus Christ, 4 way stop = person on the right has right-of-way. They need to stop giving licenses to people who score below 95%

Also anyone who does not understand that vehicle turning left off a major thoroughfare on to a side street has right of way needs to be dragged behind their own car.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
You are right that sometimes people are dumb at 4 way stops. How to approach 4 way stops?
1. Come to a complete stop
2. Whoever stops first goes first
3. when in doubt, the car on the right has right of way
Simple, civilized, only delays you for a matter of seconds. People are idiots but I'd rather the idiots stopped briefly so if we hit each other the damage will be less. (I'm sure someone will parachute in with a graph "proving" that low speed collisions are actually more dangerous in response to that statement)

White people are bad at driving was a good one, thanks for bringing a smile to my day :)

If we have 4 cars, each at a separate approach vector on 4 way stop, and each take 10 seconds to go through intersection, it will take 40 seconds for the 4 cars to clear the intersection, minimum.
If the 4 cars are on the same street and on the same direction(same approach vector) , it takes the same amount of time, 40 seconds, even when everyone is going the same way.

If it takes 10 seconds to clear a round about, it takes 4 cars traveling in the same direction, way less time and they will never stop moving. and it will take 4 cars approaching in opposite vectors, less than 20 seconds to all 4 to clear the roundabout.

It is just math.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
If we have 4 cars, each at a separate approach vector on 4 way stop, and each take 10 seconds to go through intersection, it will take 40 seconds for the 4 cars to clear the intersection, minimum.
If the 4 cars are on the same street and on the same direction(same approach vector) , it takes the same amount of time, 40 seconds, even when everyone is going the same way.

If it takes 10 seconds to clear a round about, it takes 4 cars traveling in the same direction, way less time and they will never stop moving. and it will take 4 cars approaching in opposite vectors, less than 20 seconds to all 4 to clear the roundabout.

It is just math.
Feels > any type of evidence.

Fuck this Aldarion Aldarion guy is getting fucking destroyed by the sea legumer. Amazing.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to

It is just math.

The fact that you're comparing a roundabout to a 4 way intersection with stop signs is disingenuous. It needs to be compared to a properly lighted intersection with appropriate sensor-based traffic metering rather than antique timed only signals.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Roundabouts are great for most situations. Also Lendarios finally fighting in his weight class. Aldarion seems borderline retarded.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There are places where roundabouts make some sense but my local are has lost their fucking minds putting these things all over. Even fun places like right outside a company that makes long spars for bridges only to find out that the trucks carrying them physically could not make it through a roundabout as they are too long and wound up having to remake 3 intersections AGAIN so the companies trucks could get to the highway.

My other huge issue with them is in our climate where we get a lot of snow in winter it is hard for snowplows to clear roundabouts effectively which makes them super nasty trying to get into them after a storm because traffic does not stop and your traction is probably going to be utter garbage because they can't plow them for shit.

You must live in New England. We have roundabouts fucking everywhere, for no good reason.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Here's a video of one of the many roundabout shitshows we have in town already. I completely avoid this part of town because of these things.

The city is thinking about putting a 3 lane roundabout in here. Going to be a fucking nightmare

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Here's a video of one of the many roundabout shitshows we have in town already. I completely avoid this part of town because of these things.

The city is thinking about putting a 3 lane roundabout in here. Going to be a fucking nightmare
I can't tell the difference between real life and Cities: Skyline anymore.

• 1Like

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
So.... roundabouts are so great and amazing that they have to limit the traffic during peak times just like on normal roads that have stop lights? I'm shocked... shocked!
The problem with THESE roundabouts that are getting light is, when they were first built/installed the amount of traffic was far lower than what they see today.
They are all 2 or 3 lane roundabouts mind you, if they had looked more than 20 years into the future when building them they would be more like 4 or 5 lanes with outer lanes for 90° turns.
Australia is a little 3rd world bumfuck country with 25 million people total, traffic is just a bit different in volume to merica

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The problem with THESE roundabouts that are getting light is, when they were first built/installed the amount of traffic was far lower than what they see today.
They are all 2 or 3 lane roundabouts mind you, if they had looked more than 20 years into the future when building them they would be more like 4 or 5 lanes with outer lanes for 90° turns.
Australia is a little 3rd world bumfuck country with 25 million people total, traffic is just a bit different in volume to merica
Yea why are some of these roundabouts even ONE lane? i was watching those vids and the roundabouts with one lane are the problem.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Try driving in the UK sometime, they have a fetish for roundabouts even by European standards. You see a bog standard side street intersection except there's a dot in the middle and now it's a roundabout. Have fun.

upload_2017-10-20_10-29-59.jpeg

• 3Picard
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Try driving in the UK sometime, they have a fetish for roundabouts even by European standards. You see a bog standard side street intersection except there's a dot in the middle and now it's a roundabout. Have fun.

View attachment 155039

if there isnt a bollard in the middle who would bother to pay it any mind?

Also why do Brits let destructive vegetation climb their buildings and fuck their shit up? Do you fuckers never paint?

• 1Worf

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
if there isnt a bollard in the middle who would bother to pay it any mind?

Also why do Brits let destructive vegetation climb their buildings and fuck their shit up? Do you fuckers never paint?

They don't, at least not reliably. In most places you have to drive over them because the road isn't wide enough. Still, you're supposed to yield. Add to that that UK drivers are both courteous and careless at the same time. It's basically fear, uncertainty and doubt applied to road traffic.

As to the house, it's brick so it gives no shits about some plants or being unpainted. Still, it's the UK, they have zero sense about house esthetics for some reason. They like to stick the sewer pipes on the outside too (in the far right of the picture you can them on the next house). I've also seen them put carpet around toilets.

• 2Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
They just added two back to back in the middle of a 4 lane road by the highway I've been using. Relatively small town and it's one block from the interstate, not in an urban type area. It's horrible. You're expected to make a lane change to get onto the interstate while everyone else is making an opposite change to make a left turn in the roundabout.
That sounds an awful lot like the traffic out here. There aren't any roundabouts, but the highway has on ramps THEN off ramps for every exit. The same exit. It's fucking backwards.

• 1Solidarity

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
That sounds an awful lot like the traffic out here. There aren't any roundabouts, but the highway has on ramps THEN off ramps for every exit. The same exit. It's fucking backwards.

it's intentional, lack of space to configure it in the traditional format.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi

It is just math.
Boy youre doing a really great job of disproving the argument that 4 way stops take less time. An argument no one ever made. But you are defeating it handily. Good show sir.

Roundabouts are an inferior design because no one stops. Please tell me more about how people get through a roundabout more quickly than a stop sign. Its fascinating to read your deep insights.