Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You are correct on the IPv4/IPv6
iJpSvAP.png

But honestly no clue why the wireless would be faster. Try using a different wire on the wired connection, the one you are using might be bad/old/shielded poorly, or any other number of issues with the Cat5/Cat6 cable itself.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I'm at at loss. Tried the a newer different cable with no change. I guess I'll eventually upgrade the router but for $20 right now who can complain.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Isn't cable always advertised as "up to X speeds*" And the * basically goes into how your cable line is not a dedicated pipe of guaranteed bandwidth and subject to your surrounding network (overall neighborhood usage).

Not sure if this is your issue, but I always thought this was the case for Cable. You would need an ADSL or Fiber IP connection for set bandwidth.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm at at loss. Tried the a newer different cable with no change. I guess I'll eventually upgrade the router but for $20 right now who can complain.
what motherboard are you using, i'm assuming you're using the built in ethernet on the board. try changing the drivers to the MB drivers, not windows drivers if you just updated that way.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
It's not an IPv6 versus IPv4 issue. It's likely a problem with your NIC, or it could still be a cable issue (both could have been bad).

Were you using a USB dongle for wifi, when you said you were getting faster speeds? If so, what kind?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'd put money on the NIC, hardware or driver. Maybe something dumb with Teredo going on if you aren't having problems with straight IPV6.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Got a situation at my father's house.

Basically whenever he goes on his computer and does internet activities (browsing web/email) all other devices connected wireless to the router (he's wired) start dropping packets and getting a major performance hit. At first everyone blamed my sister's boyfriend since he's always gaming, but I confirmed his laptop was fine on my network (and he experienced no performance hit).

My father has some Comcast modem and the DIR-655, which never gave me problems. I reset it to factory defaults and it didn't seem to help.

Apparently Comcast is sending him a new modem as they called and said his is wildly out of date. Could that be the issue or should we look at upgrading his router?

Comcast is dicking him around on the new modem so we don't know when he'll see it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
How exactly is the modem-router-PC wired? Ideally, you want nothing but the router plugged into the modem, with the router controlling all wired and wireless traffic. If your dad has his PC plugged straight into the modem, and then the router also plugged into the modem(for all the wireless devices) the old modem might not be controlling the traffic very well, it could be giving precedence to the only computer that is plugged into it, as far as traffic goes, while the bandwidth being allocated to the router is crap.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If in doubt, it's the router. Every consumer grade router I've ever has been a pile of shit within 2 years for one reason or another, regardless of how much you spend on them.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
So I watch everything on my computer. I ran a 20ft HDMI cord from my video card to my TV to watch things on when company / the girlfriend is over. In my office secret santa I got a Chromecast usb thing. Is it useful to me or should I just return it?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So I watch everything on my computer. I ran a 20ft HDMI cord from my video card to my TV to watch things on when company / the girlfriend is over. In my office secret santa I got a Chromecast usb thing. Is it useful to me or should I just return it?
I love my Chromecast. It'll basically save you the hassle of having to run that cable(I assume you just run it when you need it, and not leaving it connected all the time)

that being said, it obviously streams wirelessly so depending on your home wireless situation, you might have some issues with high-bitrate 1080p feeds. Stuff like full Blu-Ray 50gig video files are probably not going to work well. I stream compressed 10-15gig 1080p blu-ray rips all the time though and it does fine over wireless in my home.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I'd bet my money that you've got a duplex mismatch between your PC and the modem. This would explain why your wired speeds through your PS4 are faster than your wired speeds through your computer. Check the properties of your nic in device manager and manually set the speed/duplex to 100/full, then do the same on the modem. Also make sure your nic drivers are updated. I would also disable ipv6 on your TCP/IP stack. IPV6 has no place/function in a home network.