Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Pinch_sl

shitlord
Mine hits my speed cap of 15 mbps, but now importantly it's dependable. My wireless connection was prone to frequent enough lag spikes that games like dota 2 were consistently ruined by 10 freezes or disconnects. My house is fairly new so old wiring want an issue, though. Definitely an item for which you'd keep the receipt in case it doesn't work as well as it should, since the are many variables at play. For me, it's been an insane upgrade for 30 bucks.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Need some recommendations on a Wireless Adapter, I did see a few recommended a page or two ago but I have more questions.

I currently have thisD-Link Router.

Should I get a D-Link Wireless Adapter? Does that even matter?

Should I upgrade my router as well?
Really need to pull the trigger on an adapter purchase this weekend. Anyone care to throw their 2 cents in?

Otherwise I will purchase one the previously mentioned adapters, or perhaps the most reviewed/highest rated off newegg.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What kind of wireless adapter you want? USB Dongle? PCIe card?

I have the same router and it's still perfectly acceptable (my favorite router to date actually), but you could potentially upgrade. Doesn't matter that the brand matches your router at all.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Anybody have any experience with any of the TWC compatible modems? They gave me this piece of shit UBEE modem/router, and even when setup in bridge mode with all bells and whistles turned off it still locks up at least once a day. The list of compatible modems are below, but if any of you have TWC and bought your own modem, a recommendation would be appreciated:

Buy Your Modem | Time Warner Cable

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Finally got around to setting up my HP Microserver Gen8. Currently I'm testing distros to see which will provide me with the best performance. Looking to upgrade the cpu to a e3-1230v2 and adding some more ram / hard drives for a freenas installation as well.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
The MSI J1800I could be interesting for use as a router, new bay trail based celeron <10W, just need an ethernet card and a stick of ram.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you're building an x86 router today the only answer is the newAtom Rangeley.

For example :Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Atom Boards | A1SRi-2758F
Thats in a whole different price spectrum
wink.png

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I wasn't sure where to put this question but I am fed up with Comcast and will be switching to Century Link 40mbps DSL. I have a SURFboard SB6121 modem so I am assuming it isn't compatible and will have to buy a new one. Should I just pay the $100 that is being attached to my offer or go buy one myself.

Also for any of you who have switched from cable to DSL how do you like it? I had 25mb Comcast and they were charging me fucking $66 per month where I can get 40mbps DSL for $30 from Century Link. Now I am sure it is just a promo but still.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Supposedly DSL is more stable than Cable. Cable shares the bandwidth with people around you, whereas DSL is more a 1 to 1 link.

Considering getting a new router to not use TWC shit wireless router. Range is what's most important to me. I see you guys had a discussion about N66U and the AC68 both Asus, so which one would be more appropiate?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have read this thread and I have a basic question.

As I have mentioned before, I have a very low data cap and every once in a while I get spikes in downloads that I can't explain and it fucks up my life royally. I have been told that some routers have firmware that can monitor your bandwidth usage. Will any of them break it down to the point that you can tell which device or better yet which app is using how much data? Would something like aASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Routerbe capable of that sort of thing? Is there another one that would be better? Right now I'm using a basic netgear router (WNR1000) that my satellite installer was kind enough to sell me because my old D-link DIR-655 was not compatible with my new satellite modem.

Please keep in mind that I don't speak networking so if you come at me with a bunch of jargon and acronyms I am going to have no idea what you are talking about.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
On a side note. The question and answer section of Amazon is infuriating.

Q: Is this router a good modem for netflix?

A: I dont' know

A: No idea I don't use netflix

A: Couldn't tell you sorry

A: What is Netflix?

WHY WOULD YOU POST ON AMAZON TO SAY THAT YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO A QUESTION?