Routers & Other Networking Stuff

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So, my parents live in the boonies and the only internet available to them is Hughesnet (satellite), which caps them at 15GB of data per month, only hits 10Mbps, and has like 1000ms ping. Oh and get this, if they want to buy movies through DISH, it actually uses their 15GB monthly allocation from Hughesnet. So, basically its shit, their business model is shit, and I don't want my parents doing business with them.

In an effort to figure out a better solution, my dad has started using his MiFi pack from Verizon as a hotspot, which works alright, but it only gets 1-2 bars, so it's limited by strength of signal. To fix this I started looking into booster signals and after doing a bit of research settled on this: Amazon.com: Novatel Verizon Jetpack MiFi 6620L 3G 4G LTE Hotspot yagi antenna kit 11DB w/ 60ft low-loss cable wide band log periodic directional antenna: Cell Phones & Accessories

It has pretty good reviews and seems like the way to go.

Anyone else had to go through all this bc boonies and have some advice?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Oh.

The problem I foresee with this "solution" is the amount of devices that are going to be connecting to the MiFi.

If our whole family is at my parent's house, which you can guarantee they will be, there are going to be at least 10 devices connected to the MiFi.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've got Fios, and my setup is basically Verizon's janky router hooks to the ONT and I have a Linksys with DD-WRT loaded off that, which is what all of my stuff pretty much goes through. Today, some crazy happened with it. Just lost connectivity across the board, and while I was in the middle of fucking with firewall rules, so of course I just assumed I fucked it up. But it turns out it was only the 2.4 Ghz freqs, the 5 Ghz were fine. Moving the Linksys away from the Fios router and suddenly I can connect tot he Fios 2.4 Ghz, still no joy on the Linksys 2.4 Ghz. So clearly interference, just so random that it popped up out of nowhere, no changes, shit I had forgotten the pw to the Linksys. I don't have a fluke or anything but I downloaded some smartphone app that seems to be more of less accurate and I don't see it blazing out like a pulsar or something so I am a little confused as to why it's doing that. I went ahead and disabled the 2.4 Ghz on the Linksys for now. Guess it's time to buy some of that Ubiquiti shit or something.

Took me like 3 hours to run this all down because I was so certain that it couldn't be interference, so, yeah. My finest hour clearly.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I got a new microwave and whenever it is running it screws up my ac1900 router 2 rooms away.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I've got Fios, and my setup is basically Verizon's janky router hooks to the ONT and I have a Linksys with DD-WRT loaded off that, which is what all of my stuff pretty much goes through. Today, some crazy happened with it. Just lost connectivity across the board, and while I was in the middle of fucking with firewall rules, so of course I just assumed I fucked it up. But it turns out it was only the 2.4 Ghz freqs, the 5 Ghz were fine. Moving the Linksys away from the Fios router and suddenly I can connect tot he Fios 2.4 Ghz, still no joy on the Linksys 2.4 Ghz. So clearly interference, just so random that it popped up out of nowhere, no changes, shit I had forgotten the pw to the Linksys. I don't have a fluke or anything but I downloaded some smartphone app that seems to be more of less accurate and I don't see it blazing out like a pulsar or something so I am a little confused as to why it's doing that. I went ahead and disabled the 2.4 Ghz on the Linksys for now. Guess it's time to buy some of that Ubiquiti shit or something.

Took me like 3 hours to run this all down because I was so certain that it couldn't be interference, so, yeah. My finest hour clearly.

You should be able to set allowed channels on the radio, are they not operating on different bands?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You should be able to set allowed channels on the radio, are they not operating on different bands?
Yeah, they are normally set to auto. Even when set to specific (and different) channels the Linksys was somehow still assblasting the fios on the 2.4 Ghz.

Also can't connect to the 2.4 Ghz network on the Linksys. Even tried completely wiping the config and redoing it. The 5 Ghz still works on it, though.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
So, my parents live in the boonies and the only internet available to them is Hughesnet (satellite), which caps them at 15GB of data per month, only hits 10Mbps, and has like 1000ms ping. Oh and get this, if they want to buy movies through DISH, it actually uses their 15GB monthly allocation from Hughesnet. So, basically its shit, their business model is shit, and I don't want my parents doing business with them.

In an effort to figure out a better solution, my dad has started using his MiFi pack from Verizon as a hotspot, which works alright, but it only gets 1-2 bars, so it's limited by strength of signal. To fix this I started looking into booster signals and after doing a bit of research settled on this: Amazon.com: Novatel Verizon Jetpack MiFi 6620L 3G 4G LTE Hotspot yagi antenna kit 11DB w/ 60ft low-loss cable wide band log periodic directional antenna: Cell Phones & Accessories

It has pretty good reviews and seems like the way to go.

Anyone else had to go through all this bc boonies and have some advice?

I helped a coworker setup something similar at his place and it made it go from their cell's getting a signal 50% of the time to them having 2-3 bars all of the time. So it worked but those things are very situational. Find out which direction the nearest tower is so you know which direction to point it and make sure you have a way to mount the thing as high as possible or at least avoid as many obstructions as possible.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Friends, our twins are within 6 months of finally be front facing in the car and I'm looking for an entertainment option that is not TV in headrest connected to DVD player that tons of people have because it seems like old technology. Is there a viable product on the market that is a NAS that has built in wireless? I was thinking about getting one, loading it with movies, and then getting some tablets that can be hooked to the back of the seat until they are old enough to hold them in their seats.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Friends, our twins are within 6 months of finally be front facing in the car and I'm looking for an entertainment option that is not TV in headrest connected to DVD player that tons of people have because it seems like old technology. Is there a viable product on the market that is a NAS that has built in wireless? I was thinking about getting one, loading it with movies, and then getting some tablets that can be hooked to the back of the seat until they are old enough to hold them in their seats.
Look up carputer you can totally build something like that.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My boss got a new placed and wanted all new wireless networking gear so I recommended the Ubiquiti APs and now every day all he wants to do is talk to me about making all his new Ubiquiti shit work with his Juniper SRX shit he got out of the trash bin at work.

He's got a JNCIS so it's not like he's retarded.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
chaos chaos Whoa whoa whoa.... What kind of voodoo is this hoodoo?!

Pre-stage media, via loading it on a USB stick? Right now I'll typically sync items from plex or just load straight onto the SD card for trips. This seems like a better idea.

Explain a little more maybe, please?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah what I have been doing is loading it onto the SD card directly, but that's a pain in the ass. Now that the VPN is set up and I can access my internal NAS from wherever, I want to set it up so I can just put whatever media on the NAS and download it remotely to the rasp pi. But honestly I'll probably forget about that before I ever get around to doing it.

Crone

Continuous ping output in spoilers on my ASUS RT-n66u. On 5ghz band , with no other wireless bands detectable in the area. Any ideas? This is causing major issues for Everquest, and the Agnarr server launches so soon! Of course web browsing, or Youtube, etc isn't hardly affected because it comes back right away. Appreciate any suggestions or help.

Edit: Latest firmware on router has been applied, and this happens on 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. Using a USB Wireless adapter, and I've swapped USB ports, and it has the same behavior.

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=382ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=427ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=357ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=401ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=404ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=338ms TTL=64
Request timed out.

Last edited:

Crone

^ I lol'd.

If you're using an ASUS Router and not using Merlin Firmware, you're doing it wrong.
Still does it on latest merlin firmware.

Going to boot up my laptop and try that. If it doesn't happen there, I guess I've narrowed it down to the wireless adapter?