Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Everything about 'usb wireless adapter' sounds like a nightmare for gaming.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
You're definitely not wrong Mist but that really doesn't help him. Could just be a shitty wireless adapter.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It could be something weird like power states on the USB ports.

The fact that it's got a periodic pattern is interesting.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It could be something weird like power states on the USB ports.

The fact that it's got a periodic pattern is interesting.
Do power states work on a global profile, so all ports would be configured the same way? Or since I've never messed with them, maybe they are on just the default profile.

Good news is, it's not doing it on the laptop, so it's now narrowed down to being just a shitty adapter. Time to get a new one?

Mist Mist jeydax jeydax Thanks for throwing ideas back and fourth.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Is wired absolutely out of the question? I never depend on wireless unless I have no other choice. If so maybe you should give an PCI adapter a shot instead.

Crone

Is wired absolutely out of the question? I never depend on wireless unless I have no other choice. If so maybe you should give an PCI adapter a shot instead.
I thought it was, but then the wife said she doesn't mind me running a 100ft cord through the house, so that's my Saturday project! haha

I think she gave in, because the reason I had to go wireless was I moved the router to a better position in the house. So she and the kids don't get drop outs in their bedrooms anymore, (kindle wireless antennas apparently suck), and so she let me have this one!

It's a win boys!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Great! In the meantime I was thinking same thing as Mist about the power state.

Just go to device manager and find the adapter, see if there is a power management thing or two in there that you could tinker with. Could be the culprit. There is a USB setting in advanced power settings as well through the control panel (global, I think).

Crone

Great! In the meantime I was thinking same thing as Mist about the power state.

Just go to device manager and find the adapter, see if there is a power management thing or two in there that you could tinker with. Could be the culprit. There is a USB setting in advanced power settings as well through the control panel (global, I think).
I'm wired now, and hope to stay this way for a very long time. I'll keep these things in mind if things ever change!

Thanks again guys!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Best router and modem to buy on Comcast for docsis 3.1?

I usually get Motorola surfboards, those still good?

Thinking a nighthawk router?

Any recommendations?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Do you absolutely need to have Docsis 3.1? I have a Motorola SB6141 and I'm able to pull in 225 with Comcast:

6295519873.png

Note: Upload sucks because fuck Comcast.

For routers I really prefer ASUS. I use an ASUS RT-AC87U and it has been flawless for me. The wireless on it was fantastic and the range was pretty damn impressive. Prior to this, I'd used a RT-N66U and it was just as solid (obviously not quite as powerful though). Merlin Firmware is highly HIGHLY recommended but not 100% a requirement. Frankly I've never even used ASUS' stock firmware because I just immediately used Merlin on the recommendation of a friend.

I now use different things for wireless but it certainly wasn't because the wireless on the ASUS was bad, I just wanted it to cover my entire yard which is a little bigger.

Here's the backbone (for lack of a better term) of my network:

Motorola SB6141 -> ASUS RT-87U -> NETGEAR ProSAFE GS108 x 2 + Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Pro x 2

Those power:
Gaming PC x 2
Laptop x 2
Smart Phone x 3
Tablet
nVidia Shield
Chromecast x 2
HDTV x 2
Plex / Home Network Server
Wireless Printer
Denon AVR

I'm probably forgetting a few things, but I've got nothing but praises for the Motorola SB6141 if you don't need anything above 300 Mbps. If you need faster speeds you could always just jump up to a SB6183, SB6190 or if you ACTUALLY need DOCSIS 3.1, the SB8200.

I really favor ASUS routers nowadays but Ubiquiti is good if you have a hardon for homenetworking. The Nighthawks are very well reviewed so I think that would be a fine choice as well.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Gotcha. In that case, unless you read otherwise, I think the SB8200 would suit you just fine.

FWIW: Keep in mind a lot of companies will say "unsupported" for modems such as the SB6141 but they work just fine. Hell, even Comcast says the SB6141 is unsupported for me but I've been using it for 3+ years. It's only $50 last I checked so it may be worth it and cheaper in the long run to get the SB6141 and then when prices of 3.1 modems come down, get on then. Just a thought.

Edit: This site is pretty good for router/wireless/home network type stuff reviews SmallNetBuilder

Last edited:

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Check out the t mobile branded Asus ac1900 router. A bit harder to flash with merlin but it is the same hardware. Or yolo a big asus or nighthawk that looks like it belongs on a tower in mordor.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Bought the sb6141 and that TMobile router. Figure I'll upgrade the modem when the speeds in the area increase (right now I'm on a 150 plan?? Or something close)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
New modem and router are up, need to update the firmware still so it's not TMobile but so far seeing increased speeds. I pay for 150 down but I'm getting 250. The wireless router is so much better than Comcast.

The funny thing is the guy at Comcast tried to upsell me on a package that was way better than what I had for a cheaper price that I pay. Wasn't sure the angle, but I didn't take it because we're thinking about cutting out cable tv. The big draw was 200Mbps internet instead of 150, even though im already getting more than that.