Routers & Other Networking Stuff

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

jeydax

Death and Taxes
That is their "boost" speed shit. I think I pay for 200 and I get 225-250 most of the time.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I pay for 250 and I'm getting 100 right now. I'm thinking I wired something stupidly because I was only on a 100/10 plan and didn't need to go 1gb. =p

Just upgraded a week or two ago so this is kinda annoying. My setup is a bit convoluted so this will suck to trace.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I pay for 250 and I'm getting 100 right now. I'm thinking I wired something stupidly because I was only on a 100/10 plan and didn't need to go 1gb. =p

Just upgraded a week or two ago so this is kinda annoying. My setup is a bit convoluted so this will suck to trace.
Ohhhh no, I have to troubleshoot my Gig Internet. Lol! Man, so jelly!

Vorph

Anyone using the USB port on that T-Mobile router? I need a temporary solution for connecting a 4TB external drive as a fake NAS, but I've heard that many of those routers with USB 3.0 ports only match or barely exceed 2.0 speed.

I'm especially curious if it makes a difference whether it is using NTFS or ext3/4.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
A lot of USB doesn't have a dedicated chipset on these small boards. If it's CPU-throttled, you won't get full speed. There's too much going on elsewhere on the device.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
What Alkorin Alkorin said plus I'll add that the USB ports (at least on some ASUS routers) will sometimes fuck up the wireless, which I believe is the exact same reason (ie don't have dedicated chips, could be wrong on the reasoning). I can't remember specifically if it was the 5 Ghz or 2.4 Ghz band but I do remember hearing about that and testing it for myself in the past. A quick google should help answer that question for you (unfortunately I'm busy as all hell at work and can't look it up right now.

Vorph

2.4GHz, which I only use for Vita, Wii U, and 3DS and very rarely even for that. All three are hacked so I keep them offline as much as possible, and the Vita uses ad hoc mode for remote play. Supposedly router makers wised up and started shielding the USB3 port after it was found to be a problem on the first ones that moved up from USB2. Not sure if that is the case with the TMobile/ASUS one though, since the shielded ones typically have the port on the side or front.

I had already ordered an ASUS RT-ACRH13 from Amazon before I saw the AC1900 recommendation here. 400+867 combined speed is already overkill for the tiny amount of wireless I actually use on my phone and tablet so I'm not worried about that part. I'm seeing elsewhere that the USB3 speed is about 60MB/s with Merlin installed on the 1900 and USB3 interference reduction disabled, less than half that with it on. No Merlin for the ACRH13 so I'm not sure if that's an option there (or it if it's even needed since that one has its USB3 port on the front). I guess I'll test it out and then decide if I want to return it for the AC1900.

Last edited:

jeydax

Death and Taxes
If anyone has any interest, I am likely going to be selling my two Ubiquiti Networks Unifi 802.11ac Dual-Radio PRO Access Points (UAP-AC-PRO-US). I've had them for about 10 months and they've been rock solid for me. I still have the original boxes and all of the parts that came with them. You can use them with an existing router, no extra networking parts needed. More infos on them can be found here.

FOH Bro Discounts would be included, just send me a PM.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
darkmiasma darkmiasma Sorry just saw your question.

I'm going to try the UAP-AC-HD's. That is the only reason. I don't expect to get much different results but I like to review things myself so whatever.

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
darkmiasma darkmiasma Sorry just saw your question.

I'm going to try the UAP-AC-HD's. That is the only reason. I don't expect to get much different results but I like to review things myself so whatever.

Funny, I was contemplating swapping out my two AC PROs for HDs, but I'm not sure what I'd get for the additional $250 per AP over the AC PROs. I'd be curious if you found any benefit once you upgrade.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I definitely had quite a jump in speeds between the two. I'll post some tests next week when I get back into town.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
How important is the orientation of those? For example the base AP is sitting flat on top of my computer case, the secondary wireless AP is across the house, horizontal on the wall. Guessing ideally they should be flat against the ceiling? Anyone done some testing/tinkering or am I just flatly violating some best practices?

I'm noticing some occasional dropouts from my wireless AP and had changed channels (it's like a war zone for wifi channels/interference in my neighborhood) and it got a little better.

Had considered maybe getting one of the pros, i just have 2 of the cheaper ones given to me by a neighbor who replace a bunch of them at work and was allowed to keep a few.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Edit: I assume you're probably talking about the 2.4 GHz band channels, but if not, try using some of the DFS channels for the 5 GHz band. You may have to enable the advanced options for that on your controller but it might be worth looking into.

TLDR: DFS channels are outside of the normal channel range that happen to be in the radar range. If the AP detects a radar signal from (I think) airplanes, air traffic control, etc it'll switch off of the DFS channel. Once the radar is cleared, it'll switch back to the DFS channel. I'm paraphrasing about something I'm not 100% educated on but that is basically the TLDR version... others feel free to correct me on that.

Here you go: UniFi - UAP Antenna Radiation Patterns

UAP-AC-HD
pCFjLg2.jpg

UAP-AC-PRO
W2ekBz1.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Just got notification Asus 1900 deal back at tanga for 55, go Google, sorry no link.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Thanks jeydax jeydax , gives me some stuff to tinker with. I have 2x Lite APs.

With one sitting on my computer tower facing up towards the family room and the other vertical facing away from an external wall I don't think I'm in too bad of shape as far as positioning goes.

My ring doorbell is showing low voltage now though and I'm wondering if it's because I have a repeater and an AP on the outlet just on the other side of the wall from it, so maybe move all of that to one of the decorative ledges in that room.

Feel like I have a lot to learn w/ my APs, they're both on the same channel and wasn't even aware of the DFS stuff. They're all auto-setup for the most part, haven't tuned signal strength and whatnot (ie why not just FULL POWER, moar power plz)

Last edited:

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have been converted!

I bought an Ubiquiti ER-X today and I am impressed with it, there is one feature I will miss from my pfsense setup but other than that all the boxes are checked. The traffic analysis is great! I now have confirmation my son is chewing up the majority of my bandwidth and I have the ease of throttling him back :)

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For the Ubiquiti gurus in this community have you tried running vnstat to gather daily/month/yearly bandwidth usage stats? I have found an article to install/use it but wondering if the reporting data will negatively impact the onboard memory. Is there a way to port the reporting data to a PC?