Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I'm good friends with my neighbors across the street and we discussed sharing internet bandwidth.

It's about 50 yards from the far corner of my house to the far corner of theirs.

Any suggestions on what setup can send a signal that far?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I've watched a few YouTube vids on how to set this thing up and they've been using multiple different pieces of hardware.

Is there a resource or walkthrough that points out exactly what all I'll need? Or is it as simple as router > bridge > bridge > router?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I've watched a few YouTube vids on how to set this thing up and they've been using multiple different pieces of hardware.

Is there a resource or walkthrough that points out exactly what all I'll need? Or is it as simple as router > bridge > bridge > router?
It's just that simple. Think of it like a wire in the sky, it's a point to point wifi link.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Alright, this doesn't make any sense.

When I'm uploading files to customer equipment while using my company's VPN on my company laptop, my DOWNLOAD speeds on my gaming PC are going to shit.

Everything is wired Ethernet in this case. PC goes directly to Ubiquiti Edgerouter X, laptop's Ethernet goes through 8 port POE switch that my Avaya VPN phone is also connected to, then from the PE switch to the Ubiquiti. Router WAN interface goes to cable modem.

Nothing on the traffic graph on the Edgerouter is showing anything weird with high utilization of any of the interfaces.

Is my ISP throttling my connection when it sees VPN upload traffic?

Most likely, yes they are. A lot of ISPs deprioritize all traffic they can’t identify with their QoS.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah but why would it be choking the rest of my non-VPN downstream traffic when I'm uploading over my VPN connection to work?
I was going to say something about CPU usage on your router when it comes to VPN but that is usually more of an issue when it comes to a VPN client on the router itself.

No joke you should probably ask in r/homelab or r/homenetworking over on reddit. There are some super geniuses there on this topic.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Depends on how the VPN is setup. Just learning JunOS but with Cisco ASA/VPNs, they can be set up for split tunneling (meaning only traffic that needs to be encrypted goes thru the tunnel). JunOS has an equivalent. But yes the NAT rules do dictate where that traffic will go. Have you looked at them yet?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Depends on how the VPN is setup. Just learning JunOS but with Cisco ASA/VPNs, they can be set up for split tunneling (meaning only traffic that needs to be encrypted goes thru the tunnel). JunOS has an equivalent. But yes the NAT rules do dictate where that traffic will go. Have you looked at them yet?
I don't have any NAT rules on my Edgerouter X.

Last edited:

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Let us know how it works out.
Sorry for the late reply.

In the end I got this
Amazon.com: TP-Link CPE210 2.4GHz 300Mbps 9dBi High Power Outdoor CPE/Access Point, 2.4GHz 300Mbps, 802.11b/g/n, dual-polarized 9dBi directional antenna, Passive POE (CPE210): Computers & Accessories
put it in the garage which is back to back with the garden, pointed it at the house roughly in the direction of my wifi router, and bazinga, 5-10mbps depending on lunar cycle.

Good enough to stream some amazon music. That's all I wanted. I could now get another one and point it from the house to the garage for better speeds, but that's not needed.

If we ever rip open the tarmac between house and garage I'm putting a cable there, or a pipe to push cable through later. Right now it's not happening. I also have no idea how they got electricity to the garage in the first place, probably just buried the cables and that's that.

tl;dr thanks guys you put me on the right track and I'm happy. streaming kid's songs to the cheap kindle tablet and putting that on a Amazon.com: Anker SoundCore Sport XL Outdoor Portable Bluetooth Speaker - 16W Output and 2 Subwoofers, IP67 Waterproof & Dustproof, Shockproof, 66ft Bluetooth Range, 15H Playtime, Built-in Mic, USB Charging Port: Home Audio & Theater

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
It's just that simple. Think of it like a wire in the sky, it's a point to point wifi link.

So, I got the bridge setup and it's working. But, I lost internet and can't access my router. I can connect to wifi, but I can't access the settings.

Here's the blueprint:
My modem > my nighthawk router > M5 nanostation (access point) ---------- M5 nanostation (bridge) > neighbors router

Weirdly enough, when I try to get into my nighthawk using 192.168.1.1, I get my neighbors router instead.

Any tipz?

5k1Xt3Q.png

FROM STATION 1 (Access Point)
98pVfRb.png

N3DK4iR.png

cYGXvZ8.png

5k1Xt3Q

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Sounds like neighbor's router has the wrong IP, and since that's also the gateway on your stations they're looking at a device that isn't supplying them interwebs. If you can resolve that IP issue, change the IP on your router and update the gateways to point to it? I could be wrong.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea, sounds like you didn't set the IP on one of the Routers manually so it's connecting to the gateway by default.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
These are the settings for my router. How should I then setup my bridge?

SEYLmw3.png

Last edited: