Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Oldbased

> Than U
Anybody have any experience with any of the TWC compatible modems? They gave me this piece of shit UBEE modem/router, and even when setup in bridge mode with all bells and whistles turned off it still locks up at least once a day. The list of compatible modems are below, but if any of you have TWC and bought your own modem, a recommendation would be appreciated:

Buy Your Modem | Time Warner Cable
What did you ever do with this? Part of my changes today to service I told them I was going to get my own modem/router.
Price wise and based on positive reviews I haven't been able to topNetgear N450-100NAS N450 Wireless Gigabit Router DOCSIS 3.0 - Newegg.combut I am still looking and open to suggestions but I need to order it tonight to get it Friday.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
http://tinyurl.com/kgngvkcNetgear Nighthawk (r8000) is out now
but the 300 dollar price tag is a little much ..

I have the previous model the R7000 and it is a beast.. I bought it new almost a year ago for 199.00 its dropped a few bucks since the newer model is out.. It handles everything in my house with out issue.
I must have it, will buy it tomorrow. My cable is being installed on Friday will tell everyone how the router is.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Any recommendations for a Wireless N adapter? Just moved, and have to make the switch to wireless, and I just realized that the only wireless adapter I have is G. Speeds are enough, but range, etc, figured I'd go with N, seeing as my Dlink router is N.

Oldbased

> Than U
Very interested in how this one works out if you do end up going with it. I have a shitty Thomson modem right now and have been pondering switching to something else.
Have had it going for 30 hours now. It is fucking awesome.
Before outside I had a signal strength of 72%-78% using the arris modem/netgear router from TWC. Now I have 100% on patio, in addition it is small , a little larger than a netgear router alone, but much more compact than the cable modem provided from TWC and it is all 1 unit so for me half the cords.

The best feature outside of much better latency and wifi range from what I had is the Wifi power saving feature. I was told today she spent 5 hours in the Gazebo today on 1 laptop charge steaming music usually the laptop battery was dead after 3. It said something about this on the box how it saves power on Wifi by sending more better packet info not requiring laptops/tablets stay at full power or something. IT WORKS. My tablet ran much longer today and her laptop ran a additional 2 hours. Not sure how in the hell it works but it was for sure making devices use less power.

To top it off since Newegg and Amazon had it for 108.99 I was able to get staples.com to price match it and pick it up in store instantly.
Saved $9 off my monthly internet bill. Full return in investment per year, it is good up to 450mb speeds( future proof), I set it up and all my devices which was Blu-Ray/TV/Tablet, 2 laptops and a desktop and Dish in less than 20 minutes. Called TWC gave them MAC ID number, waited 10 minutes rebooted and everything has been working great/better than before since.

Edit in addition if you need a AC/Dehumidifier staples has 30% off them right now with Online Coupon #: 25271
Air Conditioners

Stacked with $40 off Your Purchase of $200 or more with coupon code 23465
So you could get the router and a window AC for $170ish , or you could get a nice chair and this modem/router for $160ish and so forth.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
what the hell could you be doing that would require 3200 mbps? even the 1900 routers are major overkill.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm actually kinda bad with networking equipment.

I want a fast wired-only network for up to 3 computers, with a subnet for guests and wifi devices, that has internet access but can't actually see the devices on the wired network. Is this possible (well I know it's possible) and how expensive is it going to be? And am I crazy for even wanting to do this?

Oldbased

> Than U
The one I linked above will do all that. You don't have to share a network between anything you don't want to. You can block that mostly by type of group when you set up connection alone. Hell any router will pretty much do that.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>

I want a fast wired-only network for up to 3 computers, with a subnet for guests and wifi devices, that has internet access but can't actually see the devices on the wired network. Is this possible (well I know it's possible) and how expensive is it going to be? And am I crazy for even wanting to do this?
Look into low cost hardware that can do DD-WRT or Tomato and you will figure it out pretty easily. If you have any questions PM me or ask in this chan. I like troubleshooting networking issues.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well I specifically wanted 2 separate devices because I'm one of those crazy people that thinks prolonged exposure to wifi signals are harmful to your health so I want the wifi router as far away from where I sleep as possible as I have no real use for wifi in my room anyway.

Oldbased

> Than U
What you probably need to do is have a cable modem with router for main room, disable router use the 4 jacks for the hard wired connections. Run cable to where ever you want the wifi. But if you are lumming on Wifi signals you do realize you are sleeping in a bath of probably 30-40 signals or more depending on where you live right? I mean I live in a house and from my bedroom my tablet picks up 28 wifi connections, some as far as near a block away.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Well I specifically wanted 2 separate devices because I'm one of those crazy people that thinks prolonged exposure to wifi signals are harmful to your health so I want the wifi router as far away from where I sleep as possible as I have no real use for wifi in my room anyway.
you really are a fucking nutcase

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I live in the middle of fucking nowhere. Some days there's two wifi networks visible but they're not strong enough to connect to.

dangler_sl

shitlord
Incoming stupid question: The internet I have is wi-fi. I have to connect to the server then log into the service. Which means that I can't have my 2 laptops and phone connected at the same time. Could I use a router to log in to the service, and then just connect everything to the router? <-- That was the stupid question.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
When you say login to the server, do you do that in internet explorer/firefox/chrome or when you connect to the wireless network ?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
In theory you can do this :
1. buy a router that can work as an ap client
2. login to the internet on your laptop
3. clone the mac address of the laptop on the router
4. disconnect the laptop and connect the router
5. browse t3h internets

It all depends how long you can stay online before you have to login again and a few other things but it should be doable.

Silence_sl

shitlord

Setup whatever doohick your ISP gave you in bridge mode to whatever modern router you've got . Plug your 3 computers into the ethernet ports on the router. Reserve guest access to wifi...turn off wifi when not needed through the web interface. Done.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't have any hardware from my ISP. I currently own a DOCSIS 3 modem with a single connection, that goes to my PC and that's it.

I have the option of leasing up to 2 additional IP addresses. I'm was thinking about buying a switch, assigning my main PC one of the IP addresses so I don't have to go through NAT on my main PC, buying a wifi router, plugging that into the switch and running everything else through it. But that's probably just a waste of time and I should just get a good router and have the router do all that.

I've had bad experiences in the past with routers jamming up constantly.