Routers & Other Networking Stuff

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
If your connection is under 200-250mbps the Mikrotik 951g-2hnd is by far the best router available.

Silence_sl

shitlord
I don't have any hardware from my ISP. I currently own a DOCSIS 3 modem with a single connection, that goes to my PC and that's it.

I have the option of leasing up to 2 additional IP addresses. I'm was thinking about buying a switch, assigning my main PC one of the IP addresses so I don't have to go through NAT on my main PC, buying a wifi router, plugging that into the switch and running everything else through it. But that's probably just a waste of time and I should just get a good router and have the router do all that.

I've had bad experiences in the past with routers jamming up constantly.
Wat the hell. Not wanting to go throught NAT?

Modem to switch. PC's in switch. Done. No wifi though.

Modem in bridge mode > wifi router w/ethernet ports. Done.

Or decent DOCSIS w/wifi and ethernet. Done.

dangler_sl

shitlord
In theory you can do this :
1. buy a router that can work as an ap client
2. login to the internet on your laptop
3. clone the mac address of the laptop on the router
4. disconnect the laptop and connect the router
5. browse t3h internets

It all depends how long you can stay online before you have to login again and a few other things but it should be doable.
hmm, thanks. I will look around for an ap client'n router.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Well I specifically wanted 2 separate devices because I'm one of those crazy people that thinks prolonged exposure to wifi signals are harmful to your health so I want the wifi router as far away from where I sleep as possible as I have no real use for wifi in my room anyway.
Satellite TV in your area most likely has a very powerful beam hitting you at 2.5ghz. Standard wifi is 2.4ghz. Radar operates in the same 5ghz wifi band occasionally. If you have cell service, that is 700-1000mhz. TV and radio stations? Two way radio repeaters? Public safety circuits at 4.9ghz? Etc etc. Unless you live in a lead box. And then you are going to get lead poisoning.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I did say I was crazy. However, on your points, I do live out in the middle of the woods. You can't get any cell phone reception here, on good days sometimes I can get 1 bar. No digital OTA TV signals. It's pretty awesome, except you know, anytime there's a storm I go for a week without heat, electricity or running water.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Just wrap your head in foil. It's the only way to be safe.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Anyone have some first-hand experience with a (preferably free) dynamic DNS service? I built an HTPC last week and now I need something to keep my IP static on it, so I can remote in when needed.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I used no-ip until a few months ago. Now my ISP started offering dynamic DNS services to their clients so I just use theirs (it's shorter too).

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yesterday my router began to drop its broadcast every few hours. A power restart would fix it. This morning it wasn't broadcasting at all. Couldn't connect to it in any possible way (including CAT-V). Grabbed an old backup router and got that going, although I can't figure out how to configure it to give out static IP addresses based on MAC (which I mostly just need for NZBDrone).

Anyway, a router is one of those things where I buy them so infrequently I haven't got the slightest idea what's worthwhile anymore. I've had Linksys (and one Kyocera) in the past. I really don't want to go spending more than like $150 on a router. If there's something under the $100 range, even better.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ok, now I'm actually concerned. The other router I hooked up just dropped the broadcast too. Nothing on the router physically looks off (e.g. all the lights are on). There's been no change in anything near the router that I can think of that would suddenly interfere with the signal. In fact, we just got rid of the DirecTV receiver, so there's even less.

Any ideas on what could be causing my routers to stop broadcasting?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Ok, now I'm actually concerned. The other router I hooked up just dropped the broadcast too. Nothing on the router physically looks off (e.g. all the lights are on). There's been no change in anything near the router that I can think of that would suddenly interfere with the signal. In fact, we just got rid of the DirecTV receiver, so there's even less.

Any ideas on what could be causing my routers to stop broadcasting?
Start by rebooting and only have one PC attached to it. See if that happens with the single PC, you might have something external to the router bringing it down.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Anyone have some first-hand experience with a (preferably free) dynamic DNS service? I built an HTPC last week and now I need something to keep my IP static on it, so I can remote in when needed.
I've used DYN for years. Free, but you have to log in once a month. I've just stuck with the 35 a year plan. Great customer service. They resolve issues in literally minutes.

Pretty much what you are asking for it was I primarily use it for also.

Managed DNS | Outsourced DNS | Anycast DNS | Load Balancing

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I use No-IP but I can't say it is any better or worse than Dyn. The logging in every month is sort of annoying, but I guess you get what you pay for. At least they send me helpful emails saying it is about to expire with a convenient link to click.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I set up NoIP account and set it up on my router. Do I have to still manually log in once a month if my router supports Dynamic DNS accounts?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I set up NoIP account and set it up on my router. Do I have to still manually log in once a month if my router supports Dynamic DNS accounts?
I think all the free services regardless of the provider ask you to log in every 30 days. Usually an email will be sent with a verification link.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Hopefully you guys can help me out. Yesterday I switched from Uverse to Comcast 50mb internet. I have never had cable so this is a new experience for me. I bought a Motorola surfboard SB6121 and hooked directly to my computer I receive IPv4 speeds at about 27mb/4mb but then it does 45mb/10mb on IPv6 usingXFINITY Speed Test. I then hooked up a cheap router I boughtAmazon.com: TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless N300 Home Router, 300Mpbs, IP QoS, WPS Button: Electronicsand I only get IPv4 speeds. So I'm assuming the router is not compatible with IPv6. My question is would there be firmware out there that would unlock it? Also, how can my speeds be faster through the wifi? I used the speetest.net app on my ipad and got 40mb up, yet hard wired through the router I'm only getting 25-27mb.

Is IPv6 used regularly now and/or should I just suck it up and buy something like this?Amazon.com: ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router: Computers Accessories

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I don't get it...how is it my PS4 is getting 43/9mb hardwired but my computer isn't.